LemonEntry
Members-
Posts
120 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by LemonEntry
-
Apps don't launch after installing with Configurator
LemonEntry replied to LemonEntry's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Configurator 2 which we use to assign licenses and install apps, and we have DEP / Apple School Manager. -
I have 10 iPads, 12 new apps each, Supervised by a Configurator. When any licensed app is launched it immediately closes and returns to the Home screen. Internet access is filtered, but allowing the app to connect to an unrestricted network will allow the app to launch. Is there a way to prevent to necessity of connecting to an unrestricted wireless network for the purpose of launching the app the first time?
-
What MDM to use (if Meraki is no longer free)
LemonEntry replied to AlanD's topic in Wireless Networks
You say there is no way to link them, but can you get access to the original PO or other purchase details for the devices? I'm sure you could arrange a "transfer of ownership" which would put them into the school's asset list and enable you to confirm ownership with Apple. It might be a little work, but shouldn't take too long. For what it's worth, we don't use an MDM. Apple Configurator supervision is sufficient for our needs as we only have 10 devices. -
What MDM to use (if Meraki is no longer free)
LemonEntry replied to AlanD's topic in Wireless Networks
I had this issue. It's not very clear how to resolve it. 1) Log in to Apple DEP at deploy.apple.com (Form the correct URL yourself, or google it. I'm not your lackey! ). 2) Configure two factor authentication. If you don't, you'll just be bounced at the Apple School Manager login with no feedback, which is not helpful at all. 3) Go back to the DEP homepage. In the bottom left corner is an "Upgrade account" button. Use that and follow the process to upgrade the account. That last one is the where I was always getting caught up. Every other prompt to upgrade DEP to School Manager didn't seem to work. -
Whichever is the most cost effective over the lifetime of the product. Aruba AP 305, Ruckus R700, UniFi AC HD, Meraki MR32 are all Wave2 3x3:3 MIMO 802.11ac enabled access points. All of their respective controllers offer similar monitoring and reporting. All support the same configuration options (WPA-Enterprise, RADIUS / LDAPS, VLAN tagging, guest networks and captive portal login etc). When all other options are equal, cost is the only deciding factor. We have gone with Aruba purely because it was the cheapest with acceptable support. I'd have preferred the UniFi solution as I'd be building the lot and would get a *lot* of experience and knowledge out of it, but it wasn't the right solution for the school.
-
TL,DR: Get your headteacher to bill departments for repairs. Each laptop cabinet is allocated to a department. We arranged with SLT to make Heads of Department responsible for the management of notebook trolleys day-to-day; Checking booking sheets are completed, counting them in at the end of the day. We also supply damage report forms which are collected daily and work carried out as necessary. If a device is damaged, it is reported how and when it occurred and the notebook is taken out of action. Once per week on a rolling schedule we check for unreported damage. If we find any damage that can't be at least attributed to a specific class by looking back through the booking and damage report sheets, the department is billed for repair. At the end of the day it's all school bank account anyway so nobody "loses" money. It just focuses the department heads to ensure their staff keep good logs and take good care of the devices.
-
TL,DR: Get your headteacher to bill departments for repairs. Each laptop cabinet is allocated to a department. We arranged with SLT to make Heads of Department responsible for the management of notebook trolleys day-to-day; Checking booking sheets are completed, counting them in at the end of the day. We also supply damage report forms which are collected daily and work carried out as necessary. If a device is damaged, it is reported how and when it occurred and the notebook is taken out of action. Once per week on a rolling schedule we check for unreported damage. If we find any damage that can't be at least attributed to a specific class by looking back through the booking and damage report sheets, the department is billed for repair. At the end of the day it's all school bank account anyway so nobody "loses" money. It just focuses the department heads to ensure their staff keep good logs and take good care of the devices.
-
That used to be true, but AES is now fully accelerated on all but the most low-end cores from Intel and AMD, and also modern VIA and ARM chips. Unless you're running your website on an K8 Athlon X-series or a Core2Duo-era CPU, the overhead is negligible.
-
iPads with Smoothwall
LemonEntry replied to LemonEntry's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
So I resolved the issue... I was configuring proxy settings in the iPad profile, but configuring a transparent proxy in Smoothwall. Transparent proxy doesn't need proxy settings Friday was a long day... -
iPads with Smoothwall
LemonEntry replied to LemonEntry's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have a transparent policy for port 80 which just seems to block all access; No errors, nothing in the traffic log. I just tried it on our Captive Portal network and everything works as expected, including SSL MitM. -
iPads with Smoothwall
LemonEntry replied to LemonEntry's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
So the Smoothwall can't identify what VLAN the iPads are on as all traffic simply identifies as "From the core switch" by the time it gets to the Smoothwall, with the core doing all the tag handling? Well that's irritating -_- -
iPads with Smoothwall
LemonEntry replied to LemonEntry's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have a basic interface configured for my LAN with the internal IP set, which is Port 1. Port 2 is the external connection. When I try to add the VLAN interface, I can't choose Port 1 as the parent interface and cannot proceed without choosing a parent. Ports 3-6 aren't patched in to anything; All internal traffic goes over Port 1. There are several VLANs on our network (including three different WLAN VLANs), yet no VLANs interfaces are configured in Smoothwall and filtering is working fine with those (Windows, authenticated) devices. -
iPads with Smoothwall
LemonEntry replied to LemonEntry's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
The VLAN tagging is handled by the WLAN controller, as is DHCP. It seems I must set a parent interface, but I can't choose the internal LAN port over which the traffic will connect (Only ports 3-6 re available, but port 1 is the internal port). -
iPads with Smoothwall
LemonEntry replied to LemonEntry's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It is! Now Googling "smoothwall vlan tagging" -
If you have a reliable booking system for them, make sure they are checked after each loan. When damage or loss is discovered, *bill the department for repairs*. Teachers take better care for equipment when its their money that goes to their replacement.
-
iPads with Smoothwall
LemonEntry replied to LemonEntry's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
"All" sources, "All" services via internal network port are allowed. -
Should I stay or should I go now - Smoothwall
LemonEntry replied to Simcfc73's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
The only thing I've found missing from reporting so far is Safeguarding reports filtered by Group which comes in Kenilworth. -
The whole web is going HTTPS. With Let's Encrypt offering easy and free certs, howcome Edugeek is still served over plaintext HTTP? Edit: Wow. I just logged out and back in; Not even login page is over HTTPS. Pretty glad I don't use this credential combination elsewhere.
-
I'm trying to get my iPads working with Smoothwall filtering. They will be working unauthenticated. I have the following configured: - /24 subnet specifically for iPads, mapped to SSID MOBILE on WLAN controller - Location MOBILE-WIFI mapped to MOBILE subnet in Guardian > Policy Objects > Locations - Non-transparent authentication policy identifying MOBILE-WIFI by Location port 3128 in Web Proxy > Manage Policies - MOBILE-WIFI Location mapped to Pupil group in Web Proxy > Ident by Location to manage applied filters - Proxy settings applied by iPad configuration policy to point to “proxy:3128, no authentication” matching configuration of Location configured in Smoothwall I still am unable to get web access on the iPads. Any help appreciated!
-
Thanks for your replies! Looks perfect. For others looking; File > Batch Conversion/Rename > Use advanced option (Checkbox) > Advanced button > CROP.
-
This is a meatspace issue. As long as the students are following school rules and policy regarding use of personal devices (including cameras) and remaining away from restricted areas, what's the issue? We've blocked the game API domain at our firewall to protect other wireless network users. Other than that, what they do on their own devices, is none of our business.
-
I, and I'm sure "we", have 200+ new pupils starting in September. Photos against a plain background, but otherwise just a landscape torso-upwards photograph. How do you process these for use in MIS and ID card systems? Do you manually crop each one? Have you found a piece of software which is mostly reliable for the job?
-
Is the right answer. Ours runs on a DC with a dedicated account. The only issue I have is that it was far too painless to migrate from DirSync. I'm just waiting for the entire thing to come crashing down, somehow.
