Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. BBC headline reporting suggests a lack of deeper analysis. There is general feeling from them that cases are falling, with some variation between Scotland and England in. Cases did fall for a while in September, but for the last four days, I'm afraid the figures comparing against the previous weekday, have shown an increase. Even the 7 day average shows an increase today. Whilst the figures are still volatile, as we move deeper in to Autumn and Winter, I fear for the NHS staff having to take the strain. The report on NI NHS (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58636057) is something I suspect England, Scotland and Wales countries are not so far behind. With current vaccination levels at all-time lows, it doesn't look like much extra protection is going to come that way, except perhaps vaccinations in school of 12-15 year olds and boosters. With face mask wearing estimated as dropping from 80% - 20% (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58635383 - 13:39) on public transport, you have to wonder if in the near future the advice will need to be much stronger - besides, I though many transport companies made it a requirement - that would be a lot of non-compliance.
  2. Moving from SIMS to a modern cloud based MIS is perhaps a project that should be run standalone. Based on other Edugeeker's that have made this move, I suspect it'll bring you most reward for the effort. The main MIS suppliers seem to have strong and well tested approaches to migrating, so is potentially achievable within a year. Once that step is taken, I would expect your ambitions to move to a cloud ready future will be a bit simpler. I'm sure others will bring further insight to this thread shortly, but you might want to read through a blog about a serverless school, starting with https://blog.theserverlessschool.net/p/about.html
  3. Just picked up on this news, sad, but we should celebrate Sir Clive Sinclair's achievements. He contributed very much to my youth and in many ways has influenced what I am today.
  4. For email, we made use of parent email groups that were maintained for a variety parent groups along with a hierarchy of year, tutor and 'all parents' groups that were maintain as groups in what is now Google Workspace. For SMS, we used MIS functionality, which was the increasingly rare Progresso (now referred to as Cloud School).
  5. I'm not sure if this is cases by specimen date, or by date report, or whether it is the day rate or 7 day average, but to my surprise, as of today we have 7 continuous days of lower cases compared to the day of the week before. 7 day average case rate by date reported had a August/September high of just shy of 39k on 5th September, but average 7 day average stated today is under 32k. As reported yesterday however, we are still at a high rate and heading into Autumn/Winter with a more contagious variant. With warnings today about the risk of number explosions over the next few months, continued risk reduction seem to be be sensible approach.
  6. Vaccine minister says all 12 -15 year olds to be offered 1 Pfizer jab from next week. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58552769 Some high level numbers relating to this here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57888429 With two boys in that age bracket, for me it's not a black and white decision, unlike the decision to have a jab myself. The risk of myocarditis (and pericarditis) is notably higher for adolescent boys than girls, so the numbers the BBC publish would look different if split by gender/age. Getting covid also brings a higher risk of myocarditis; some research shows it to be higher than the risk caused by the vaccine. But actively taking a vaccine that shows and increased risk, versus the passive possibility of getting covid and increasing risk brings another dimension to the decision. I'd very much like to hear the thoughts of others, particularly from other parents here with children in this age bracket, to understand how you will come to a decision to accept or reject a jab when offered to your child.
  7. All of the above and should be reported within 72 hours, but in this case there is no need to delay. For ICO guidance, see https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/sme-web-hub/72-hours-how-to-respond-to-a-personal-data-breach/
  8. Got it. So; Of the <50s with delta, 50% are vaccinated Of the >50s with delta, 90% are vaccinated Of the <50s who died, 36% were vaccinated Of the >50s who died, 70% were vaccinated Of course, comparison of the percentage values for <50s against the >50s is unwise with more information, such as absolute numbers. If we achieved 100% vaccination rates, every infection and death would be from vaccinated people, so 100%, but absolute figures versus no vaccination would look very different. For me, the most impactful item from the report was strong evidence for Delta being about 2 times as likely to lead to hospitalisation as Alpha. I had heard conflicting views on this previously. Not sure if the mortality rate is so dramatically different, but treatments will have improved over time too.
  9. I may have got to that with my previous post - out of interest, how did you get to that URL? Thanks anyway!
  10. Aha!!! - this is after putting the image on a Google form (I was too lazy to set up a webpage!) and copying link for the image from there.
  11. Interesting point... this is the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IGL19ZigJbn5KlAmSpSomCK7Ip1vxvHB/view Can you reference an image for a stored image on Google Drive? Maybe if I built a Google website with the image, I could pick it up that way, but that would be a bit convoluted!
  12. I get the following when using URL to Google Doc. With 'Retrieve remote file and reference locally', unchecked, no error, but not output! Is this indicating an issue with URLs from Google Drive. BTW, I have confirmed the image is set to access 'Anyone on the internet'.
  13. Is the 'Photo' button the one third from the left, picture of a tree in a frame? All done on Windows desktop, no use of the app to date.
  14. I'm not sure I follow these two, especially the first. Is it also saying 40% of Delta infected were vaccinated to some degree? On the second line, is it saying 6% of Delta infected deaths were vaccinated? If yes, what's the over/under 50 data for those?
  15. Maybe I'm having a 'senior' moment - where is that 'medium size setting?
  16. Patchy around here too - I definitely felt being the odd one out wearing a mask in the petrol (sorry, not yet e-car @mavhc) station recently.
  17. Pulled from annoying thins thread http://www.edugeek.net/forums/behind-red-door/132256-what-annoying-things-did-you-do-today-merged-pet-peeves-2218.html#post1916498 I tried 2. Post on an external image hosting site. The image will be shown at the size you posted it to the image hosting site. It's hosted on Google Drive - it didn't work for me, just posting the html link.
  18. The control of the form is not easy to explain in this forum, but I do know this scenario can happen, the error is easily resolved, but there is a serious failing in the permissions. Much more importantly, this looks like a very serious breach. Although it doesn't sound like your data, I feel you should notify both the council and the ICO immediately. The nature of the breach and safeguarding concerns need to be reviewed now. @GrumbleDook, could you wade in on this one. I suspect it doesn't need saying, but please don't publish the council details or anything more.
  19. Case numbers appear volatile currently. Over the last week, weekday by weekday comparisons have shifted as follows, starting today and working backwards: [TABLE=width: 64] [TR] [TD=class: xl65, width: 64, align: right]-21%[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: xl65, align: right]-11%[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: xl65, align: right]0%[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: xl65, align: right]9%[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: xl65, align: right]16%[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: xl65, align: right]56%[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: xl65, align: right]11%[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Or graphically with absolute numbers: So rapid growth last Monday, significant drop this Saturday. I think we need another two or three weeks to see what impact schools in England returning, along with college and universities have.
  20. Jupiter
  21. Oracle University are offering free training and certification for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure. Free training and certification for Oracle Cloud Infrastructure I suspect Microsoft Azure followed by Google's GCP is more prevalent in schools. There's also Amazon's AWS, but this training would help with underlying concepts and would still be useful to learn if it interests you.
  22. The more recent comments in this thread are now touching on an important point. Subject access requests are there to support individuals rights to access data about themselves. If I were to make an SAR, I am asking for data that is my data. Every reasonable effort to fully meet the request, whilst protecting others data rights, is required. The fact that it is challenging or a lot of work isn't the requestors issue. Of course, they're will be a small minority who will try abuse these rights, but there is protection from vexatious requests.
  23. Interesting. Do you mind sharing your age and what happens when you try to book online. Whilst supply has been called out as 'choppy', I have not to date got the perception that supply is significantly holding back vaccine rates, but perhaps there is something to it?
  24. BBC reporting 80% of over 16's double jabbed- the data can be baffling at times!
×
×
  • Create New...