Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,219
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. I couldn't resist but definitely 'GOTCHA!' - wish I knew how to embed this, but here's a link anyway https://giphy.com/gifs/gotcha-got-ya-tricked-you-hWNOHECgiLrsnZjGoF
  2. Poor mouse - I don't think jokes are appropriate. Don't be cruel.
  3. It's a bit like the virus and immune system, a bit like malware and the protection software, a bit like ying and yang - it's going to be an on-going battle forever. There's never going to be a 'win' scenario for either side. So, I think what's left is teach the pupils to embrace the pupils in how to use the technology for economic and social good. In terms of assessment, we are going to have to change we do that if you want to avoid the issue of plagiarism.
  4. And only a few minutes later it appears to be resolved. I'm no sure how relevant it was, but one change was to add a regedit key to enable something called along the lines of 'fastswitch'. The other more relevant fix seems to be related to Intune. It appears the linking to domain had not completed successfully. When they tried with their account, it failed allegedly because their account was not licensed for InTune! So, they got me to login with my work account and that allowed domain registration to complete properly. Just gotta love Windows!
  5. Aww, I was getting excited for a moment! Anyone else? It's now gone to the next level of support - it's oddly interesting watching them trying to remotely resolve the issue. No joy yet. Would love to get there first though!
  6. Do the PCs have internet access? My biggest concern wouldn't be technical, it would be safe-guarding. My advice would be read Keeping Children Safe in Education before you do anything. It's pretty shocking the school leaders/governors have allowed this setup in this day and age. Sorry if that appears unhelpful, but ultimately you will be protecting yourself, but more importantly the children. Safe-guarding children is the single most important thing a school can do.
  7. Simply, are there any of you out there? I would like a DM view on the product and what it's like to work with day-to-day.
  8. Do you really need any logins? How about running the CB's in kiosk mode just with browser access to some shortcut links for the sites you need? https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9273974?hl=en *** Edit - as this is so late in the day, that's quite an ask if you're not familiar with kiosk mode, but maybe next time around! ***
  9. Testing the powers of Edugeek - I bet you'll crack this one! I have a work laptop that allowed different users to login (roaming). This could be done by selecting 'Other user' at login, or clicking windows icon bottom selecting users and away you go. The laptop performed extremely badly and our external IT provided said, "c'est mort", send it to the grave. I had other ideas..... I created an Win 10 pro ISO USB, reinstalled and hey-presto, like a phoenix it rises from the ashes. I'll be honest, it's no rocket-ride, but it's acceptable for our pool of onsite laptops. As part of setting the device up, a local 'Admin' type account was created. So, I call IT provide to ask for it to return to the work domain. They say just login in under domain. So I did, although a little unusual way for me. Under instruction, via Accounts, and logging in where it says use a school or work account. So far so good, and it appears policies lead to some software installs over a period of time leading to Sophos installing, Connectwise, a monitoring service and it's registered on 'Automate' - those last two things maybe the same?! It attempted Bitlocker but said it contradicted itself! Oh, and a local IT provider admin account has appeared. Sort of OK, but on rebooting, there is no choice to logging as another user on the splash screen - it appears I have to go to the local 'Admin' account that was setup just to install windows then 'work account'. Additionally, clicking the windows icon, user name does not result in 'switch user' being shown. Currently it has our IT department baffled. A couple of times they have said it could be because I'm not onsite, but that's quickly dispelled when I point out we have no onsite servers - we are solely cloud based so I presume 'cloud azure' if that's the right lingo. The only think I can think if doing is to reinstall OS from scratch, but use domain account immediately, but hoping there is a way to get this laptop work in the same way as all the others.
  10. Definitely about relationships, but could be past, present and future.
  11. Out of interest, are any of the schools on here that are impacted, looking to pull in contract or consultancy services to assist with the migration?
  12. I was expecting this one to come. My time with progress involved a lot of attached documents - we used it for termly and annual reports, plus enabled parents to view these - but the details are a little foggy for me. I think it would be a great question for another supplier as to how they handle. From my distant memory, it wasn't easy to pull them out in a meaningful way. Whether there is an SSRS route I'm not sure, but maybe there is another way - ultimately I guess they are stored as BLOBs or similar, but part of the challenge is building an index key that the recipient database can work with that retains the link to the migrate pupil and maintains chronology. Sorry I couldn't be of more specific help.
  13. If you are on later versions of Excel, (M365 version for example), there is a new function called XLOOKUP. Well worth learning as it'll do everything VLOOKUP does and more.
  14. I think it's fair to say they were slightly more gushing in their review at the OSCARS
  15. Agreed, although studies show up to 5% can remain infectious after 10 days. Unfortunately, it all comes down to your employer, which in real world terms, means it comes down to one or more individual! About to post BTRD on that topic shortly!
  16. Another recent lonely daffodil picture, not far from were I live, courtesy of BBC Weather watchers. Daffodil lonely hearts club anyone ?
  17. Robert Dyas selling some Air Fryers off at lower cost right now https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/special-offers/air-fryer-price-crash. These aren't Ninja's, but they aren't Ninja prices either. I was looking at the dual tray Ninja a while ago, but lack of availability, price inflation, the sheer size of them and lack of OH enthusiasm has put it on the back burner (sorry, that's probably not energy efficient ). Giveng we have a multifunction microwave including grill and convection, I suspect we could achieve a lot of what the air fryer brings by using that more extensively. We've always used it for baked spuds. If I can use it to bangers, chips, pies and not have them go soggy, that would be a big step forward in reducing fan oven usage, especially when cooking for one or two.
  18. Oh boy, and some! Actually, it extends more than just a week. Appropriate threads maybe updated in due course.
  19. Darn, took me 2 reads and 10 seconds!
  20. I absolutely have to give a shout-out to Securly here. Securly organised a couple of pie and beer nights and all of the pies were just fantastic. @Securly_Marc or @Chanelle_Securly or will correct me if I recall incorrectly, but I think they came from https://www.mypie.london/. Now I'm a regular meat eater, but the one pie that stood out above the others was a veg one. The pie was Mushroom, Spinach & Truffle Oil and amazing. They were doing nationwide deliveries but their website suggests that's stopped currently, but if you are in their area, I'd absolutely recommend them. As for another Securly Pie and Beer evening - do we want one? - absolutely yes!
  21. Gov data site seems to recently had a subtle rename. I find https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ now works. The site is currently running a survey, so if that's your thing, do fill it in. With the Healthcare tab being the only one that gives a reasonable picture of England, it's mostly the only one I visit. Being a data person, I tend to review briefly each week. I looked again today with a closer eye - vested interest, I have the bloody disease currently I'm hearing lots of local cases, but with our works get together recently at a local venue of almost all staff, with a key presenter not feeling too well a day before, I think we had a mini-super spreader event all of our own! The picture now, based on hospital admissions - nothing dramatic, but seems to have recently been mini spikes and troughs about once a month since September last year, with the latest smallish peak perhaps not troughing and could be heading up again. We of course have to remember these are people admitted to hospital for any reason, but get tested anyway, so Covid is not necessarily the reason for hospitalisation e.g. Flu or other disease upswings could have a significant impact.
  22. I haven't but other discussions suggest it is a good way to avoid litigation risk if your competitive procurement processes aren't 100% up to scratch.
  23. Jeepers, that aren't hanging about! Talk about 'dead man's shoes'!
  24. And this weeks winning lottery numbers are.....
  25. I wonder how those who had contracts beyond the August date - breach of contract litigation anyone? It's a while back, but I think the general contract dealt with this, so I guess all of the schools have to just plough on with a move. I'm not sure the analysis @bringmoredata does ever split Progresso/Cloud School versus Facility, but would be interesting to know the split and numbers.
×
×
  • Create New...