JRA
Members-
Posts
952 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by JRA
-
Morning all - hopefully everyone knows what I mean, that bit after ctrl+alt+del users will 'ok' on before logging in. Set in GP from Computer > Windows Settings > Security settings > Local policies > Security options > Interactive logon (message title and text.) I was hoping to have a flippin' Lord of the Rings length AUP in there, but Microsoft only want me to have so many characters. Having had a little rummage around the registry I've not found anything that looks like it limits the characters, but does anyone reading know how I might increase this and make my dreams of verbosity a reality? Thanks much any/everyone!
-
Adding names from a spreadsheet into AD groups - solved
JRA replied to enjay's topic in How do you do....it?
I use Wisesoft's Bulk AD Users for stuff like this. Defo worth a gander, but for goodness' sake un-tick the force password change and generate password tickboxes before you do ANYTHING in it: Bulk AD Users And with ANUC back in the day (we used to use this, and the above to mass-change groups etc) we'd import our new starters: https://mediarealm.com.au/articles/bulk-import-users-to-active-directory-with-powershell-script-anuc-ps1/ -
Well we restarted the service in service manager, the server also got a restart for updates on the day. I was then off for two days and it all seems to have popped in at some vague point after that. Bleh, I'll take it! Thanks again all.
-
Thanks both! Okay, another MoS did the inviting bit, but it doesn't look like it ever actually happened. If I myself go to Manage Users > ... > Preview Invitations I don't see any email addresses, and selecting any of my Y8s brings up an empty box with "No invitations are required for this group" where I'd expect to see a table of students and details. In SIMS Service Manager logs for that client I see nothing that looks like an error, but only logs up to the 30th Jan, nothing for Feb.
-
Afternoon all - just fielding this question here as I await Capita's reply; SLT are getting antsy. As per title really, Year 8s (although only Year 8s) have email addresses in SIMS, section 4 as Home/Main/Primary but these don't appear to be showing up in the Options online portal anywhere, especially (as I'd expect to see) in Manager Users > Reinvite > Students (and "sent to" field.) Anyone know what I might try? Thanks in advance for any and all help on it!
-
Wordpress - Change Background Colour of Sidebar Gallery Widget
JRA replied to JRA's topic in How do you do....it?
Just returning to fill in the answer - probably basic as all hell for anyone who's familiar, but it's pretty much as Steve21 said. This might help any future Googlers etc. I discovered style.css from Appearance > Editor in the WP console. In here, all good things are dictated. In your site, you can right-click and inspect the colour of %item% you're trying to change the colour of. Sometimes in the top right 'Inspect' window that's all you need, and you'll be able to find the highlighted item back in style.css with ctrl+f, but if not then look in the bottom-left Inspect window for the colour itself. You can then, of course, ctrl+f for that colour hex or rgb or whatever it presents you with. I've not been in there from the console, but I'm willing to bet you could solve/irreversibly wreck a lot of things with grep and sed and the like. -
Just adding to the show of hands for Lubuntu. Are they 64 bit capable? In the (far distant, Windows XP-era) past we also had some luck with nlite, so both approaches do 'work' out there in the real world. With Lubuntu though I made our old netbooks into effectively Chromebooks, but we had GOFRIS for locking them down (as deep freeze of sorts is for Windows) but GOFRIS has dropped off the edge of a cliff these days it seems. Best of luck though!
-
Wordpress - Change Background Colour of Sidebar Gallery Widget
JRA replied to JRA's topic in How do you do....it?
Thanks! It's Pxt Business. The options page looks like, well regular Wordpress options page to me but changing the colours in there doesn't seem to do anything. I'd gladly change it myself in the css but I've got no idea what to change or what anything's called in there. -
I just cannot get to grips with Wordpress at all. And I've tried, I really have. I've knocked up a demo site, it's currently just a homepage on a fairly vanilla theme with one gallery sidebar widget, which I'd very much like to change the background colour of, but can't seem to. In fact despite selecting colours in the theme editor I've had limited/zero success actually changing the colour of anything. Is it even possible to help me out with that little info? Just in case, have a screencap. It's the puke green background I'd like to change. Thanks :/
-
Thanks bobsmith! Well, pressed ahead with it and it's all up now to the point where our (so far) only trained MoS can get going with it. For anyone reading do take the time (like I didn't) to properly read and absorb the whole Options Online Setup Guide, which is quite good.
-
So, I'm a about to ask probably the daftest set of questions in the world, but our SLT here want this, have sent me an email welcoming me to SIMS Online Services (erm, thanks?) and I've got no idea what it is but they sure do want it up and running! I'm guessing we install some patches on our SIMS server, then parents/students etc visit some Capita website somewhere, log in goodness-knows how, then set their options for the coming year. That vaguely right? What even is this...
-
Cheers - nah the Mac server's a complete write-off. So, I plug the iPads into the Macbook for the sake of Apple Configurator, remove something in terms of a profile from them, and then follow on as per instructions from Apple here: https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.5/#/cadf1802aed That sound about right? Thanks again.
-
Afternoon everyone - this might be painful so please bear with me. I inherited this network along with a few iPads. I absolutely loath the things, but we have them so might as well make some use if possible. To summarise my VERY VERY hazy memories, during handover we'd lost the Mac server here (and we have, it's b0rked) but the iPads, although centrally managed *somehow* can be un-managed using configurator (whatever that is) on this Macbook that we have. It might then be possible to manage them as standalone devices with their own profiles, which I guess will be their own identities within some framework or another that means you can install apps on them one device at a time. Is any of that making sense to anyone? As it stands they're iPad 2s; are they better off in the bin? Thanks anyone with any bones to throw on that. Utterly clueless (and very slightly consumed with hatred! )
-
There's some solid gold in here, thanks so so much folks. Restoring the, er, mediawiki whilst following their instructions was definitely a good 'un! I'll rummage through all these now, cheers again everybody!
-
Doesn't record any errors or even anything in error.log for trying to browse to http://tempserver/oracle/public_html/, some of the folders seem to be forbidden somehow (though are all as I've mentioned 777-ed) for example http://tempserver/oracle/public_html/includes/ gets me a "Forbidden" in browser, and "access_compat:error ... client denied by server configuration" in error.log.
-
Hello all, Nothing essential this end, just a bit annoying. We've had an internal wiki of sorts just plain stop working. I'm not sure exactly what did it in, but probably upgrading to php7 smushed it. Or even php5. I've restored the folders of it to a fresh LAMP server, only really want to load it up again for a day or two to get all our old guides off it then bin it again, but can't get the pesty thing to spit our it's regular wiki. 777-ed the world on the folders (currently it's in /var/www/html/oracle/public_html/) and I can browse from another PC to the folder structures within eg http://tempserver/oracle/ and also to eg http://tempserver/oracle/public_html/docs/ but I cannot get to http://tempserver/oracle/public_html/ as it gives me an http 500 error. Can anyone just bodge me working perhaps maybe? Thanks in advance for any pointers!
-
With regards to THIS LINK that contradicts itself a bit, in DNS I've set scavenging (from DNS, r-click Server, Set Aging/Scavenging...) to tickbox ticked to scavenge, 7-day No-refresh and 7 day Refresh. In DHCP (DHCP, IPv4, Printers scope, Properties) I've set lease duration to 14 days. In the printers scope there's no available addresses for DHCP; they're all reservations. And that's all I've changed this morning. By my reckoning that *should* do me. Other scopes set to other durations of lease, for example workstations to 8 hour DHCP leases. Am I going sane or doing a wrong'un? Thanks hugely for any pointers from anyone passing!
-
Hi all - as per title, I'm having printers (a couple in particular) just drop off the network and get APIPA addresses, rather than the nice reservations I've given them! Only seems to be three in particular, and only happened since I changed some scavenging settings in DNS (I think.) It's also possible my tech could have done *some* alterations, but doesn't recall. Can anyone help? Is this consistent with aggressive/incorrect scavenging settings in DHCP/DNS? Can anyone put me back to normal?? :/
-
Hi all - changed the domain admin password a little while back, and though I've saved the hash through fogcrypt in FOG Configuration > FOG Settings > Active Directory Defaults it doesn't seem to propagate that to each individual host (if I look at a host's Active Directory settings the old domain password remains.) Is there an easy way to propagate that? Thanks any and everyone!
-
If anyone else is reading this, just be aware (as I now am) that you need to enable mysql in php.ini (/etc/phpx/apache2/php.ini) by un-commenting the extension line, and then restart apache. Line says "extension=php_mysqli.dll" Also every tutorial on the planet for Dreamweaver etc from this point on will tell you to use mysqli_connect but this was binned in php7, so you need to use eg mysqli. Good guide here.
-
Yeah I'm fairly sure it'd undo that - I also need the teacher to be able to view /compscihomes itself (with sub-folders) so that's also shared in Samba. I'm alright with making up the folders manually for each student, but sorting access so the kids can't fiddle with just Unix ACLs is well beyond me. I tried that out, still forbidden. :/
