JRA
Members-
Posts
952 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by JRA
-
Hi again - added it into the DNS RR just to try it and it is dropping everything it seems now, rather than asking for authorisation. Anything else I might do? Thanks much btw.
-
-
Hi - set to Active Directory. This is Services > Authentication > Directories screen, right? Status is a green tick and enabled, diagnostics running too but just seems to tick over - been running a few minutes.
-
Hi - thanks for that! Hmm, weird. Found that location and amended permissions (777-ed it), restarted the server too and the permissions revert. Empty folder. Also changing to 777 and trying to start mysql gives the same error message as above. Urgh? :/
-
Hi all - getting the following when trying to connect to a Xibo server (it suffered a little during a powercut here.) I've tried looking for that file in the directory but it's not there. In fact, running /# find . -name mysqld.sock finds nothing at all. Anyone got any ideas what to do? Thanks everyone.
-
Aight well I'll forget that part for now! Also I spoke too soon, if I add this to the DNS round robin it asks users for authentication - any ideas where to look to sort that? Thanks very much again, almost there.
-
Well it was as easy as that! Went through the install, ran the above... quick reboot and it's all there automatically; block lists, temp bans etc. You're a gentleman ibpalle, thanks again. Whilst I'm at it, are there any easy ways to bond the NICs in smoothwall? Cheers enormously - that was painless.
-
Gosh that was a quick reply! Thanks ibpalle! Do you also have any dead simple installation/setup guides or is THIS ONE still current? Thanks again!
-
Hi all - I'm looking to set up another child node on a current Smoothwall setup of one existing parent and one child node. Are there any walkthroughs for doing so? ...Is it horrendous work or simple enough? Thanks all - bit nervy of it...
-
Thanks all - I went with some Nutri-Bullet clone thing too, works a treat.
-
Thanks witch! Do you know if it's tough enough for brocolli?
-
Hi all - I need a decent blender. The sort of thing that can make broccoli smoothies with ease, liquify about anything in terms of vegetables. I've got a few hundred to spend. Anyone know what the blender of my dreams is? Thanks all!
-
Fresh and New Hyper-V Setup - Path of Least Resistance?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Hi all - just getting back to this. I might be asking a very obvious question but maybe not. I hope not... Anyway, is it possible to have a setup where, say, two heads run a bunch of VMs and share storage without a SAN. And then in this scenario one of the heads breaks (the server itself catches light let's say) and the other server just takes over the running of the VMs perfectly and seamlessly until a new head is built? Is that something that can be done or can't be done? Thanks everybody again! -
Hi all - bit of a panic here! Set up a new KMS server just this morning, but it looks like our old client image used a MAK key. That key is still current in our VLSC but Windows itself and slmgr.vbs (partial key shows) now tell me it's invalid. Can anybody tell me how to figure this out? What on earth does it want from me? Thanks very much all.
-
Set up New KMS Server (2012) for Windows 7 Clients?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows Server 2012
Thanks for that! It's the clients rather than the servers tbh; I'm worried the whole network will suddenly tell people Windows isn't genuine. They've previously been on an LA KMS server, but that's now off and so I need to set up my own one. Just another little corner of this network I've discovered here... So, if I enter that key at the relevant part of the setup instructions and proceed, will all be ok? Thanks again! -
Hi all - I'm sorry if this one turns out painful. I'm totally lost at this point. The LA used to allow us to use their KMS servers, but this has now been turned off. Consequently, my newly-imaged machines are not authenticating. I've been following THIS guide, but when it comes to entering a key, what key do I need from the VLSC? Next guide I've read HERE says "Look for a key called “Windows Srv 2016 DataCtr/Std KMS” but I don't want to install it on a 2016 server. Urgh, what am I doing?? Thanks anyone for anything!
-
Hi - did run it by Liam (nice guy btw, as is Grant) and he said maybe look at the speed at which it talks to the SIMS server. Currently SIMS server has 3x teamed gb NICs, PARS server 4x teamed gb NICs, both into core switch. Just wondering if they'd both benefit from connecting directly as I pondered above.
-
Cheers Norphy! I'm trying to get a PARS and SIMS server talking to each other as fast as possible, and this direct connection seems to be the best way.
-
Hi all - bear with me on this one! I want two servers to talk to each other as quick as poss. Best way I can figure is this: - Single NIC set aside on each, connected via crossover cable. - Each NIC in a subnet not used anywhere else, say 10.0.0.1/30 on one, 10.0.0.2/30 on the other. - Change the hosts file on each so that the name of each server points to the new address above. - ???? - Profit. This sound sane enough? Thanks for any help or suggestions!
-
Fresh and New Hyper-V Setup - Path of Least Resistance?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I think I am going that way now tbh; couple of BEASTLY heads in a failover. Well, now I've found out people do that nowadays anyway! -
Cheers! Do you use the freebie one? Nah we're at a muscular 15-17gb I think. I have SSDs in the current server, but more RAM and another processor won't hurt for sure. Thanks everyone!
-
Ahh right - thanks all! So, in terms of planning, just set up two/three monstrous heads full of SSDs, each one on its own having enough storage to potentially hold all VHDs, install, add roles, knock the cluster up, off we go. I'll add in "find a guide for it all" in there too. This sounding ok? My goodness, thank you all so much! This was a good day!
-
Fresh and New Hyper-V Setup - Path of Least Resistance?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
...Although I *just* found out we no longer need SANs and nearly fell out my chair! I'm looking into this...
