JRA
Members-
Posts
952 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by JRA
-
PDC Broken - 0x00002e2 After Updates. Need it Back
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows Server 2012
Afternoon everyone. First off, thanks all who chimed in and helped out! Think it's working now, or if not almost there. Moved FSMO roles to another DC yesterday. Demoted it and scrubbed metadata (ntdsutil) then reinstalled AD but that didn't seem to go smoothly - promoted ok (it didn't before metadata removal) but griped about not being successfully advertising as a DC. Got THIS too and managed to fix it from that stage in the hugely technical way described somewhere of clicking the "promote..." thing in server manager a few times and restarting it a few times. It's now back and seems fine! Changes replicate. Touching wood but all looks alright. That sucked. Hold me... :/ -
PDC Broken - 0x00002e2 After Updates. Need it Back
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows Server 2012
Well, I ran the above thing and it looks like I'm now in "best case" - the DC is booted and is up but isn't replicating to the other two DCs, but the other two do seem to be replicating to each other. The broke one (and PDC, Google bits and all on it) is called DC4 btw, DC3 (VM) and DC2 (HW) are the 'good' ones. Anyone think of a good next step? EDIT - I'd rather even demote the other two and re-promote them if this'll solve anything. That too much of a bodge even? -
Morning all. Well this sucks. :/ Been so busy I've not even been close to fixing this (yes really that bad) but happened a couple of days ago. HyperV guest but any backups restored with Veeam still give the same problem. DC won't boot normally and restarts to recovery options, gives 0x00002e2 error code. Have tried THIS and similar but not gotten anywhere. Restored now to Monday night's unhappy backup for a 'clean' if broken tinker today. Have two other DCs (one hardware one HyperV VM) but this one does all my Google stuff and runs about every useful scheduled task imaginable. Really really want it back. Anyone got any ideas? :/ Thanks everyone...
-
Morning all, I'm doing a thing that's probably not gospel but seems to work most of the time in moving my VMs from KVM to Hyper V. I don't know if there are flashier ways of doing this but hey, this at least works* and machines run stable! What I'll usually do is make a new "destination" VM in Hyper V and boot it to a Ubuntu ISO and give it a temp IP address. I'll then do the same with the "original" VM on KVM. Then I'll DD the disk over netcat to the "destination" one until it stops, then turn on the "new" one and if all runs great (or after a little tinkering with the interfaces file) turn off the "original". What I'm finding though is some of the little "appliance" VMs (things like Varnish and Chillispot etc) got set up and forgot (as you do, just never touch them for years if they run fine) and now the versions of Ubuntu on them are SO ancient they can't see the virtual NICs in Hyper V, which ofc makes them kinda useless. Question is, is there any way to shoe-horn drivers for this into older Ubuntu machines? It won't ofc be IMPOSSIBLE to rebuild a Varnish server for example but it will be a RIGHT pest to do the chillispot thing. My backup plan is to move all the LUNs to one head to run them locally, and then virtualise THAT machine. Inception style. I'd defo rather not though, that's a bodge too far even for me. Thanks for any and everything!
-
Still with INSIGHT. To be fair to TASC they re-wrote some part of it for us (I think we were the only school anywhere getting this issue.) With support like that I think even despite the struggles I'll stick with it and them.
-
[1903, au] Profiles - Mandatory for Kids, Roaming for Staff - Possible in W10?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows 10
Okay this is getting madder than I thought! Lol! People don't use roaming OR mandatory profiles any more? How does this even work now? Oh my god I think I have much reading... -
Hello all, Just getting nervy, of course EXTREMELY late in the day getting W10 ready for the deadline. Question is pretty much as the title really. Aside from reading mandatory profiles are AWFUL to get set up (allegedly) I'd like to enforce a mandatory profile for students and have staff use their own profiles. Is this possible or is it going to be awful? Thanks any and everyone. Hold me... :/
-
Used it a few years here too. Had nothing but issues since September...
-
Morning all, We're pretty much set on parting ways with this. It's been falling over daily and despite endless patches from TASC I think it's a dead duck. We can't rely on it and I'm getting endless earache. Any decent, reliable portal alternatives out there to ponder? Thanks everyone.
-
GENT! Thanks, it's rebooted now. :)
-
Hi all - really struggling with this and internet makes it look so simple! Lol. How on earth do I? I was looking for the following screen ofc during setup: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1tHxLJiG_gU/VcwO7OB7_aI/AAAAAAAAAsc/m53xA668GEk/s1600/Win10GetGoingFast.png But not at any point did I get it. Can anyone hold my hand on it? Seriously this Windows 10 malarkey is killing me here. Thank you all.
-
[1903, au] Windows 10 Golden Image Tidying/Decrapifyer - When and How?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows 10
Okay I must be failing horribly here, but I can't get into audit mode. I'm not seeing the following screen at any point in the setup, which I think is when I'm supposed to press ctrl shift f3 Installing from an iso/rufus fwiw. SW_DVD9_Win_Pro_10_1903_64BIT_English_Pro_Ent_EDU_N_MLF_X22-02890 Urgh? Thanks all. -
[1903, au] Windows 10 Golden Image Tidying/Decrapifyer - When and How?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows 10
...Any chance you could send the admx-es/script? Will buy you a beer or two if you send PayPal too! Thank you both! - - - Updated - - - ...Any chance you could send the admx-es/script? Will buy you a beer or two if you send PayPal too! Thank you both! -
[1903, au] Windows 10 Golden Image Tidying/Decrapifyer - When and How?
JRA posted a topic in Windows 10
Hi all - trying to race W10 through before the deadline. Honestly the nightmares with this are starting even before it's starting! Used Nlite to knock up a stripped down W10 iso, which is just so riddled with problems I've abandoned it. Next of all, needed a new FOG server to cope with W10 and a failed migration and wasted fortnight on both has robbed me hugely of time I'm not getting back :/ Desperate to get things underway now, looking at the swiftest way to build a golden image, free of as much junk and xbox related special offers etc. Pleading now. :/ Does ANYONE have either a walkthrough on when and how to run the decrapifyer or a simple guide on stripping the garbage out of W10 so I can control the rest with GP? I've tried half-heartedly with the decrapifyer, but don't know how to run it. Anybody feeling really patient? Thanks everyone for reading. -
Hi all - just knocked up a new VM in Hyper V and it can't see any network devices. It has one virtual NIC in settings. lshw -class network does show a disabled eth0. But ofc I'd like it not disabled and shuffling packets around. Anyone feeling patient?
-
Stupid TV HDMI Only - Connect VGA (or DVI) and 3.5mm Stereo?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in How do you do....it?
Thanks both! I could NOT find what I wanted ebaying but got one of the first one. Saved me. -
Bought a TV from a nameless supplier who swore blind this'd work but it didn't. So now I'm stuck with a TV that'll only take HDMI in (for video and audio) and a PC that'll only spit out VGA/DVI and regular 3.5mm audio. I there ANY sort of little box that'll take VGA/DVI, sort of "inject" the audio from the 3.5mm and output HDMI with audio? Thanks anyone.
-
Hi all. Trying to race this out before Christmas. Would you folks recommend W10 Education, Enterprise or Pro?
-
Hi folks - coming proper unstuck on something. I've come to the conclusion I'm out of my depth with this. Had a captive portal for our wifi which ran chillispot, now seems to be knackered. It's days have been numbered tbh so I've set up a PFSense VM to act as captive portal. Unfortunately I've got no idea what I'm doing. I'd IMAGINE I need three interfaces at least: LAN - I imagine this interface sits on the network people would connect to (as in, the wifi subnet and VLAN) and would have the captive portal web page in it. WAN - I imagine this one sits somewhere on the VLAN that has unfiltered internet on it, and will allow authenticated users who connect through that web page to get some internet. Somehow. OPT1 - This I imagine can sit on my servers subnet with a static IP and I'll get to the PFSense web page through the address I give it. So far I've managed to get a web page up, but got a bit lost in the options. And didn't have enough NICs in the VM. Added some in, reinstalled a few times after but I can't seem to get an admin page up now. Or get anywhere. Help? Anyone feeling immensely patient?
-
Thanks much everyone - got back to the office and the LA had sorted it. Bleh, oh well, I'll take it!
-
THanks! I don't know - how would I find that out?
-
Hi - Thank you! Yes PI Setup page shows Current Season as Summer Season 2019. The 'Clone' box at the bottom of the page has the option to clone from 2018, but 2018 and 2019 are available. Think the exams officer does all that part, but anything to change there? Thanks again for diving in!
-
Hi all, got in to this one. In Tools - Examinations - PI Reports we run off an exam report, but the "season" option doesn't show 2019 as available. Anyone else got this/had this/fixed this? Thanks all!
-
Get the sock puppets and crayons out, I'm struggling... So, we are putting in a new VoIP phone system. We sort of have one but it's been horrid. Currently, VoIP has its own VLAN, very nice. Our core switch is the gateway. We'll be getting (as part of the new one) a Draytek router, new PBX server and the Draytek router will do the DHCP for the subnet and VLAN (currently the IP phones are on static addresses.) I think I am right in thinking that the new Draytek will be our gateway out of the VLAN once it's set up, and the core switch won't be. My questions (and things I'm not fully getting) are: 1 - How will I administer the phone system (DHCP etc) from then on? If my core switch is no longer the gateway, would I stick, say a VM in the VoIP VLAN and give that a static in the new Draytek and administer it from that? Would it even be possible? 2 - If the core switch (HP ZL) is no longer the gateway for the VLAN, how do I "keep" the VLAN itself and point the gateway to something that's not the core switch anymore? Is that something you can "just do" or not? 3 - If I'm confused beyond help here, would it be in any way easier to just get a set of switches JUST for the phones? Thanks everyone, I'm sorry. :/
