JRA
Members-
Posts
952 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by JRA
-
[sims] New Staff Timetables & Registers Won't Show, But Are In?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in MIS Systems
I've also spotted that in Staff > (find one of the new ones) > Employment Details tab they don't have teacher number assigned. That right/consistent/causing me grief? -
Hi all - something of a strange one. We've a new admissions team here and I'm not sure all went right with the new staff setup and timetabling, but as it's on a computer it's DEFINITELY the computer man's problem at this point! What seems to be happening exclusively for our new staff starters here is that their timetables won't show up on the homescreen timetable section and they're unable to take registers. However, if I then go into Staff (little dude icon on the top toolbar) > Links > Staff Timetable they have classes assigned, and if I go to Links > Staff Groups they're definitely in classes there. However... If I then go to System Manager > find them > Links > Staff Groups they have nothing showing, where a 'normal' teacher does. Does anyone know how to un-pick this? Our SIMS support don't know and have moved it up to Capita, but, nice folks though they are, I can't rule out an inexperienced data team having left a step out somewhere? Anyone got any clues from what I'm on about? Extremely grateful for any help!
-
Thanks all. Server's only got 4 bays, but RAID6 on the disks, so I have a little leeway I reckon. Hmmm, I'll see how it is in the morning. Might just replace them one at a time. Cheers again.
-
Hi all, just need some advice. Got a Linux/Ubuntu server on a G8. 4x120gb SSDs in RAID6. Noticed yesterday that three of the four disks alternately flash amber/green. According to the following, that means swap them: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03245333 That right? Time to start panic-swapping?
-
Hi - thanks over again first off for the help. It objects to parentheses in the sub though. I'm not clever enough to know what to do to remove the parentheses you see! Just thought I'd ask if you had chance for a fiddle with it. Very grateful still.
-
I now have it on good authority that this is deliberate behaviour when you have two SSDs used for caching (the 'absent' disks are indeed the SSDs) and Synology told me off for using the command line! Lool!
-
Hi everyone, I've a Synology rack server as our SAN here, doing something slightly odd concerning what DSM shows RAID as doing and what MDADM reckons RAID is doing! Anyone reading have any expertise this way? Just in case, the story follows... Webpage/DSM says all fine with the disks, however cat /proc/mdstat and I see the following: CODE: SELECT ALL Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] md3 : active raid1 sdh1[0] sdl1[1] 468846784 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [uU] md2 : active raid10 sda3[0] sdk3[9] sdj3[8] sdi3[7] sdg3[6] sdf3[5] sde3[4] sdd3[3] sdc3[2] sdb3[10] 19510982080 blocks super 1.2 64K chunks 2 near-copies [10/10] [uUUUUUUUUU] md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1] sdc2[2] sdd2[3] sde2[4] sdf2[5] sdg2[6] sdi2[8] sdj2[9] sdk2[10] 2097088 blocks [12/10] [uUUUUUU_UUU_] md0 : active raid1 sdk1[9] sdj1[7] sda1[0] sdb1[1] sdc1[2] sdd1[3] sde1[4] sdf1[5] sdg1[6] sdi1[8] 2490176 blocks [12/10] [uUUUUUUUUU__] unused devices: Somewhat worrying, so I dig a teensy bit: CODE: SELECT ALL mdadm -D /dev/md1 /dev/md1: Version : 0.90 Creation Time : Sat Jan 1 00:00:09 2000 Raid Level : raid1 Array Size : 2097088 (2048.28 MiB 2147.42 MB) Used Dev Size : 2097088 (2048.28 MiB 2147.42 MB) Raid Devices : 12 Total Devices : 10 Preferred Minor : 1 Persistence : Superblock is persistent Update Time : Sun Jul 22 11:08:07 2018 State : clean, degraded Active Devices : 10 Working Devices : 10 Failed Devices : 0 Spare Devices : 0 UUID : 865d1d4d:f23ce308:c69de3af:22ddbed7 Events : 0.99 Number Major Minor RaidDevice State 0 8 2 0 active sync /dev/sda2 1 8 18 1 active sync /dev/sdb2 2 8 34 2 active sync /dev/sdc2 3 8 50 3 active sync /dev/sdd2 4 8 66 4 active sync /dev/sde2 5 8 82 5 active sync /dev/sdf2 6 8 98 6 active sync /dev/sdg2 7 0 0 7 removed 8 8 130 8 active sync /dev/sdi2 9 8 146 9 active sync /dev/sdj2 10 8 162 10 active sync /dev/sdk2 11 0 0 11 removed Weird, disks are all physically in, lights green, again the console/DSM says all fine and there's only 12 bays in it, all populated. Could this have something to do with the two SSDs for caching? Have I really just got 'regular' failed disks I need to replace? Thanks any and everyone!
-
Afternoon all - just after any and all opinions really. Smoothwall's just about had it's chips - reporting is the main sticking point, for all the flashy (if complicated) features of it. What I REALLY do like about it though is the tickbox safeguarding against extremist material, terrorism etc. Considering alternatives in Sophos, back to something Squid-based even maybe (though the latter really would be a step backwards, and I'd have to demonstrate I'm actively filtering XYZ myself by manually adding in URLs etc.) What's 'used' out there in the world these days? What's got good reports to run on internet usage of your users? What's the least headache from setup to maintenance/stability? Anything offered gratefully received! Thanks for reading.
-
You're very very VERY kind, thanks muchly! I'll have a bravery pill later and throw the switch... Thanks again!
-
Okay, getting back to it and cack-handing my way through it, I've encased the lot in two 'if' statements that *should* work. I guess working 'ugly' is still working! Does anyone have any opinions on the following? '******************************************************************************************** '* * '* PIN TO START MENU SCRIPT - V2 for 2013 and 2010 in harmony * '* writing this SSSUUUCCCKKKEEEDDD.* '* * '******************************************************************************************** If exist fso.FileExists "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" Then Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17 Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2 Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Accessories") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Calculator.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Accessories") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Paint.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Word 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Powerpoint 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Publisher 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next ElseIf exist fso.FileExists "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" Then Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17 Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2 Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Accessories") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Calculator.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Accessories") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Paint.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office 2013") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Word 2013.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office 2013") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Excel 2013.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office 2013") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("PowerPoint 2013.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Publisher 2013.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next WScript.Quit
-
Oh yeah, that script I was doing... Does anyone know how I might go about knocking that into shape?
-
Yeah that's what we do - guess I lucked out on it. Usually do user policies for users, machine for machine though as habit.
-
Hijack away - lol you folks ain't going to want to hear it but GPP printer mapping has worked beautifully for me here and is a glorious trouble-free joy. 100% seriously.
-
You know I battered away at it for an afternoon and could not for the life of me actually get it to work at all. I wrote it off as "one of those things that just sucks a bit" and went back to the scripts...
-
Had another though (which is dangerous if you're me!)Current script has sections, one for each of Word, Excel, Ppt, Publisher thus (third function onwards): Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17 Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2 Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Accessories") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Calculator.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Accessories") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Paint.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Word 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Powerpoint 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Publisher 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt Next WScript.Quit Would it be possible and/or more graceful to add in a bit at the end of each function that went "If however that link you're copying out the All Programs > Microsoft Office folder isn't there, then try copying this link from the All Programs > Microsoft Office 2013 folder instead. And then if NEITHER are there, stop chirpring about error messages." My best stab is the following, but it's hard to test here unless I do some AD and Group Policy juggling. Does the following look sane to anyone clever? ... Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS) strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office") Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Word 2010.lnk") Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs For Each objVerb in colVerbs If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt elseif (fso.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office 2013") Set Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Word 2013.lnk") Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt end if Next ... Okay, how bonkers is the above? Sorry if this is painful btw.
-
Lol, yes I'm really not and that looks perfect, thanks for that!
-
Morning all - hopefully got that across right in the title, but the long and the short of it is that in some places there (still) Office 2013 and in some others there's (STILL) Office 2010. Before I get onto 2016 over the summer, I'd like to replace a couple of scripts that run at logon and copy shortcuts, but lordy am I bad at VBS. I'd really like a VB script that looks to a PC and sees if Office 2010 is installed, and if so copy some shortcuts from "X" but if Office 2013 is installed copy some other ones instead from "Y". Is that something that's do-able? By people a bit cleverer than me? Thanks for any and all replies and assistance!
-
Hi all - back in the day (well, April time) I read about Google releasing a tool for setting email retention and deletion etc. I set these through Vault, but does anyone else remember anything even vaguely like this being standalone, or even elsewhere? Scouring through my [Action Required] emails, but nothing coming up, wondering if I'm even remembering it right now! Any other GAfE schools setting this differently elsewhere or is it the settings in Vault and nowhere else? I'll ask Google and post up answers if nobody knows off the tops of their heads. Thanks all.
-
Nah it's more for zipping it up, sending that file with an email and the password separately, and also the 'master'/hidden password should the school need to access the file at a later date. The resultant file can be decrypted with either the password set with its upload or the 'master' password.
-
Ah, now THAT I did ponder, but can that be done with the dual-password situation? If so I'll do that!
-
Morning all - this is one I could really use some help with! Full disclosure, a counterpart of mine has this in another school, and I'm too proud to ask for his version! Plus I'd learn very little, plus if we all fumble through the solution here then the whole world gets to see it. And how basic I am. But anyways, my counterpart has at his school and internal web page. Users visit this page to upload a document and enter a password. Once done the page (php iirc) encrypts the document with the password specified PLUS a second, hidden password (so that the files can be decrypted by senior staff in future for the sake of accountability) and then after a bit of thinking time prompts the user to save the newly-encrypted file (I believe it zips them but not sure.) Would anybody at all know how in the world I'd go about setting up something like this? If ANY ideas (even where to start) please do let me know! If I find out myself I'll post it up, and thanks muchly in advance for any pointers!
-
IE11 Internet Explorer Maintenance Policies Gone in 2k8R2?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Bleh, gave up. None of the above seemed to work, though I'm very grateful for all the assistance! I even had a go at the gpmc tools for an old XP VM I had sat around. Not a sausage. In the end knocked up a policy further down that just puts in a nonsense proxy, so they get no internet at all. For some reason that one works alright. Again folks thanks loads for the suggestions. -
IE11 Internet Explorer Maintenance Policies Gone in 2k8R2?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Hehe no no, but only just gone in to fiddle with anything; all set up and forgotten about yonks ago - this is the first time I've needed to make a change. -
IE11 Internet Explorer Maintenance Policies Gone in 2k8R2?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Ooh neat, I'll give that a look cheers. -
IE11 Internet Explorer Maintenance Policies Gone in 2k8R2?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Cheers much! Yes I did try that but didn't get anywhere with it, just didn't seem to 'take'. I'll keep fiddling though, cheers again.
