Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

JRA

Members
  • Posts

    952
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JRA

  1. Ta both. Looks like the SIMS db is a muscular 15GB and we've got a 25GB limit of our 32GB RAM for SQL. So, is it quacking like the 'more RAM' duck at this point for anyone else? Thanks again to everyone.
  2. Well thanks everybody! Cor, well then, I'm up a creek pretty much unless I get SSDs in? Would it really make negligible difference on the extra cores and/or RAM? It doesn't appear that I'm maxing out anything except to the allocated max RAM for SQL - but then, that'll just gobble up to the limit of what you give it, that right? SOMETIMES the disk I/O clips the limit but that's about it. Guh?
  3. Hi all, From a previous thread, I've (pretty much) settled on a home server; something in an HP ML350 G8 tower. However, as title says, I'm wondering about running consumer drives in it. Will they 'just work' would you reckon? Do you know even? (that'd be handy!) two RAID1 arrays; two Intel SSDs for OS and two WD blacks for storage. Same story with Windows 7 - will it and do ya, as above? It'll be mainly for testing out database software, though if it's great/necessary it might be re-purposed for a friend/client who'll run a small dentist practice with it. That ALSO runs database software; think SIMS with about 4 clients. Actually that's a long story, but it'll be 'on standby for re-installation and swift re-deployment' so must be capable of that. So, any ideas and opinions and anything and everything? Thanks for any answers and merry Christmas to all!
  4. Well, done it now. First off, thanks all for the help. Got the config off as per my post above, turned off the old switch, but reversing the commands didn't get the config onto the new switch despite (I'm certain) setting up ssh correctly as per the old one etc. What I did in the end was get the tftp server into play that I'd set up when tinkering earlier, put that config into the tftp folder, and copied the config to the new switch from a telnet sessions thus: It carped itself though after reboot, then got a console on it, to find all was fine. Been happily shuffling packets around all morning. Done (I hope!)
  5. Hehe yeah I know. If only.
  6. Hi all! Wow, thanks for the pointers! Right, server does SIMS and SQL usage is capped at 25GB of my 32GB, and minimum memory is 1024KB/query. Seem right? Disks are 15k SAS drives, 653960. Ambitions for it are to speed up SIMS a bit and, since we have Tasc's PARS also now, squeeze more performance from it. It's an HP DLP380 G8 with 32GB RAM, single Xeon E52620 @ 2GHz with 6 physical cores (space for a second processor.) Any further thoughts? Thanks much everyone.
  7. Hi all - just thought I'd get a few opinions in. Hopefully this is in the right place first of all! I'm thinking of upgrading our SIMS server. It's going from 32 to 64GB of RAM regardless, but I'm wondering (as per title) what would be better in terms of performance for it; upgrade the current 6-core processor to a faster one, or stick another processor in it? SQL licensing cost isn't a factor for me as another department has agreed to pick up that tab should we need it. I'd be grateful for any opinions anyone's got! Thanks everyone.
  8. Thanks Ric_, some top tips! I couldn't get that to work so binned the config with: That sound right? Bless you both!
  9. OH OH oh wait! You can scp the configs off them! They keep them in /cfg/running-config (for example) and sshpass can pass the password to them. Used something like: And I *guess* I'll swap source/dest over to spit a config onto a replacement (with the original off ofc.) Cheers Davit2005 again.
  10. Thanks for that! It's still beyond me a little bit but I've got as far as: Which gives me: Now Googling's not been much help, most stuff tails off vaguely about that you *can* do it, not *how* to do it. Anyone else seen this? Thanks so much for sticking with me!
  11. Thanks for that, though I must admit it's a little bit beyond me sorry. Changing IPs and hostnames I've considered but don't know how to do on HP switching. Recreating SSH keys I've done once or twice on Ubuntu server but again, no idea on HP switching. VTP I've never heard of. Can use tftp if that's any easier, but I'm not sure I'm wise enough yet to follow the above! Grateful for the help though, I'll Google a bit off the back of that.
  12. Hi all - well, I've seen a few links but they were all a little bit beyond me. Does anyone have/can anyone knock up a simple step-by-step guide on how to do that? Thanks muchly for any help!
  13. Well, dunno if I nailed it just yet but applied force create directory and file options in smb.conf for that share. We'll see...
  14. Just to conclude I bunged some stuff in a shell script, seems to work for me and thanks hugely everyone for the pointers!
  15. Their support are very helpful and swift to reply, it must be said. We do seem to have issue after issue with it here though. I'm losing confidence a little bit every time it needs yet another patch or cryptic error page comes up or it argues with something in SIMS... it does seem like weekly *something* will break it. Today (currently having a problem) I can't see how anyone could in any real sense rely on it, and get the feeling we're beta-testing software that's plain not ready. VERY glad it isn't just me.
  16. Haha, and thanks all. So there's really no simple catch-all way to do that then? I'm going to make sure mine have summaries documented in case I fall into a mincer etc.
  17. Hi Linux ppl, I have a quandry. Attached a section from smb.conf and the permissions that actually appear when a user makes a new folder. Users aren't getting the permissions on folders that smb.conf's create mask should give. Anywhere good to check? I've head disabling PAM restrictions fixes this, but what are the implications fo doing so (if that even IS the fix?) I'm all muddled and stuff and very grateful for any help!
  18. Gosh this thread took off! Thanks so much all! Yes I should ALSO have added that it's going to run Windows (I know I know) as my gf is terminally allergic to Linux. If it were me I'd go Ubuntu and software raid it but meh. Lots to look at though, thank you all! If there are any more to come though do keep them coming. :)
  19. Thanks GuyJD! Yes I've been more than pondering the HP Microservers... My worry with a 'regular' motherboard though would be that if the board does fail, to recover the RAID array would I need to find that exact motherboard with that exact chipset revision and this or that exact version of this or that firmware to get it back again, sorta thing? Cheers for the reply!
  20. Hello all - I'm in need of recommendations for a home server. Or a couple of recommendations. It must be/have: - A 'tower' sort rather than a 'rack' sort. - A 'proper' server like what HP or Dell make. Onboard RAID etc. - Must be quiet! It'll live in a lounge so can't have fans going 'blarrghrgahagrgrhhl' all the time. - Must cost less than a grand. Thanks all for any sort of suggestion!
  21. Yes we're moving away from them. Their support team (JW and GB I've dealt with) as professionals and people I've found to be absolutely fantastic. ANYONE AND ANYTHING ELSE I'VE HAD TO DO WITH THEM IS ABSOLUTELY GOD-AWFUL. We've been quoted daft money to re-fit the whole outfit. It seems they're dying off now and doing desperate things for money. abillybob you lifesaver! Could you walk me through that? I'll msg you.
  22. Yeah that looks bang on! I'll try that (at half-term when nobody's here.) Thanks!!
  23. Thanks much Jamo! So, all I got that looks winbind-ey in /var/lib/samba is winbindd_idmap.tdb - do you think it'd be wise to mv that to a .bak, then restart samba? This is *live* (everyone's home areas) and I appreciate you've never done it either! Cheers much.
  24. Hi all - not sure where I'm going wrong but got myself into this pickle. Changed a student's username, now they don't get their home area. Home areas mapped to \\myserver1\homes and script steers them to their folder by year, then creates the home dir if it's not there. # chown -R newusername . in the folder itself (if I've made it, it won't make its own) shows the permissions chown-ed to the OLD USERNAME. Doing the following does the following: # wbinfo -i newusername --> oldusername:*:48937:11617::/home/11617/oldusername:/bin/bash # wbinfo -i oldusername --> failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND Could not get info for user oldusername Logs on Windows machine gripes of incorrect password, despite being logged on. Cached samba credentials or something somewhere? Samba user not syncing up or something? I'm out of ideas a bit. :/ Thanks for absolutely any help.
  25. Thanks! After a restart though all is working, both ways. Not sure I did or didn't run it as administrator (though pretty sure I did.) I'll take it though!
×
×
  • Create New...