Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Eudora931

Members
  • Posts

    190
  • Joined

Everything posted by Eudora931

  1. It really depends how many clients you have. We setup 6 wireless vlans with 500 hosts in each. We have 300 plus iPads, 90 macbooks, 20 apple tv's , windows Genee boards- all running off wifi then about 150 windows machine that are wired in . This does not account for any BYOD that staff currently bring in -e.g iPhones .
  2. Hi all , Read through some posts on this topic already and have done some research, but a little confused....plus I need diagrams! lol Getting some conflicting info - (or maybe just not understanding) But here is a very basic account We are a wifi heavy school with 90% Apple products. Chatter from these devices (especially Apple TV's etc) is noisy. I thought that by creating a VLAN for all our Apple devices and giving them lions share of bandwith - we could contain the chatter etc. Turns out - setting up a non wired VLAN to control traffic is either 1) not possible 2) if possible doesn't really help make the wifi better? I understand that VLAN's are primarily about security? So confused... So I guess what I'm asking is am I wasting my time putting in VLAN's and if not how is the architecture set up . Again, my limited understanding is - client goes to AP, AP goes to layer switch (or possibly a WLAN controller?), separates out the traffic... but then how does that contain the broadcasting etc ( apologies if using the wrong terminology etc) I just need a how to for dummies with diagrama! Any help much appreciated. Thank you!
  3. FN-GM - would do, but doesn't work on phone app - tried several times :-(
  4. Hey RichCowell- tried that several times - doesn't seem to work on my phone app :-(
  5. Subscribe
  6. Lightspeed - Cons - Chargeable iPads require enrolment, either using DEP or via bulk enrolment download and import into AC2 Hi, With the cons of lightspeed - are you saying that I will still need Apple Configurator for the enrolment part ?
  7. Some really good info to think about - thanks! - - - Updated - - -
  8. Hi, Looking to replace our old RM Rack Server. Been looking at specs for the Dell range of PowerEdge servers. Any recommendations for a 2 site, 1000 user, wanting to use Hyper V as well. Never bought a server before so not sure what I should be looking for spec wise. Not much user storage required( but may change later) but will be used mainly as DC, Print server, DHCP and DNS and then in the future hosting of Hyper V servers. Budget around £3000 max - don't want anything too fancy but same time something that won't fall short going forwards? Thanks in advance!
  9. We currently have close to 300 iPads and will be adding at least another 20 more. The thoughts around moving away from MERAKI has been made necessary due to a change in the support . The MDM is currently being managed centrally by an outsourced support team - but now that I am the internal network manager - we need to move away from that. Issues that brings up : Currently MERAKI allow us all our iPads and then some for free - if we move the MDM over (ie create a new one) we are now liable for the post 100 devices charges So , as we will need to pay anyway - I'm looking into Lightspeed as another option as it allows more local management of iPads? I know the new iOs is (supposedly)going to allow that but as others have pointed out - not sure how practical that will be in real terms e.g with caching of profiles etc. Also, we are currently using configurator - which as you can imagine takes almost forever to roll out changes / re image iPads etc as they have to be physically attached. Lightspeed, I have been told, does not require that . So just a comparison thing at the moment - ie keep to MERAKI or move to Lightspeed as it may give us more flexibility and may be cheaper? Side note - pain moving to managing our own MDM as whatever we decide 300 plus devices to re enroll- oh joy! lol
  10. Looking into Lightspeed to replace Meraki MDM Anybody using this and able to share pros and cons? I also have an x server with profile manager , but not wanting to go down that route as heard it's not as reliable? Thanks in advance
  11. Subscribe
  12. Hi , I have a teacher macbook that has been added to the OD and AD, and all working fine so far except for , the proxy settings (wifi, advanced) are greyed out for the user , meaning that they can't connect to internet at home as I have set the proxy for school use. What are the ways round this with the pros and cons please. Thanks in advance!
  13. Hijack - sorry - I've set up Mac server running Yosemite , am I going to have issues with profile manager and iPads?
  14. Hello, I'm finding that the new look G+ won't let me invite people to our private school community . Follow the instructions but email does not get sent to person you are inviting ( they work in school so using school email address) Anybody found an issue with this ? Ps can do it if revert back to 'classic' G+
  15. Subscribe
  16. Thanks witch
  17. Yes, would need POE as meraki AP 's and phones work off those
  18. Thanks Sibrows Sorry not worked out how to include quotes on my mobile device !
  19. I'm not massively keen on RM as I found that when I took over as NM over a year ago we were able to get the same level of service from a local firm with a far better price tag attached by going vanilla but its heavily dependant on your capabilities as our requirements for support are occasional calls for the more technical support. I'm not saying it would/wouldn't work for you but don't rule it out. Sorry , should have said in OP - moving over to Vanilla for more flexibility .
  20. Eudora931

    New Server

    So, (long post alert)! Been in new NM role since October half term. There is a definite plan to upgrade the server ( currently 2008 R2 running CC4 ) to Server 2012 with the option for Hyper V if required in the future. Also need VLAN capable switches. Advice please on: What server make to go for ( I am looking for a rack type that will slot into a cab) What backup options to consider - currently using Windows server backup - not great! What switches to go for - currently have netgear smart switches - which apparently don't do VLAN? Anything else I need to consider - will be able to put through more stuff as part of this project now rather than adding later. We are a large primary school (800+ pupils and 130+ staff and growing ) spread over 2 buildings Wifi is new (3yrs old - MerAki ) so no need for anything new there. Any help / advice much appreciated [emoji106]🏼[emoji4]
×
×
  • Create New...