Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. @Sephiroth I needed ethanol because I have a gasoline engine. I have a gasoline engine because it's the right power output / speed for a grinder. I need a grinder because I can grind up Canola Seeds to make lubricant. I need lubricant to stop my gearboxes exploding. (You have not seen the horror of 64 blocks of wooden gears boxes catching alight because the wind blew too hard). It seems all roads do lead to Rome.
  2. Geoff

    Old PC games

    Plantronics are pretty good. Not exactly Sennheiser of course but far better than your onboard AC97 realtek soundcard tat.
  3. @localzuk I'm surprised that's not a legal requirement given the implications to be honest. As I've said I don't use Sims and haven't for years but could that not be mitigated by user ACLs? I assume there's a system within SIMS whereby you can lock down access to aspects of the application and the pupil data within on a per user or role basis?
  4. Geoff

    Old PC games

    Still works on Linux. On my Gaming PC I have compromised and have a Terratec Aureon 7.1 USB sound card. Getting the sound hardware out of the PC case is half the battle and solves so many of the interference issues.
  5. Geoff

    Old PC games

    I had a Diamond Monster Sound MX300 which had a Aureal Vortex 2 chipset. It's odd how sound card hardware has actually got worse since the 90's. :/
  6. Bit more rotarycraft done. I can make ethanol now. I had to massively extend my sugercane farm though (you need suger to make it). I also built an alloy smelter and created some dark steel armour, handy stuff. I also built a twilight forest portal and immediately disconnected everyone. I found horrible things over there. I've fortified my portal on the other side now though so at least you are initially safe. I also showed @Sephiroth how make steam engines not explode. I'm going to try for a bedrock breaker next. I think I can make it work with enough hydrostatic engines. Probably.
  7. The postgres way is as follows (but I digress): SQL Fiddle Link BEGIN; CREATE TABLE foo (id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY, data TEXT); CREATE TABLE foo_track(tracktime TIMESTAMP DEFAULT now(), foo_row foo); INSERT INTO foo (data) SELECT 'Some Data'||id FROM generate_series(1,10) AS id; CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo_track_func(foo) RETURNS integer AS $$ INSERT INTO foo_track(foo_row) VALUES ($1) RETURNING (foo_row).id $$ LANGUAGE sql; CREATE VIEW v_foo AS SELECT foo.*, foo_track_func(foo.*) FROM foo; SELECT * FROM v_foo; SELECT * FROM foo_track; COMMIT; http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-createrule.html I'm used to handling Terrabytes of data on cloud systems these days. So the sentiment is accepted for an on-premises DB.
  8. Sorry, Postgres DB knowledge leaking through. In MS SQL you have to use a Profiler Trace and then create a Collection set. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645955.aspx When I use SUSER_NAME() I get my current Windows domain login username in the old NT \ format. I don't have a Sims server handy as I don't work in Education any more, but as long as you are on the same network and using Integrated Authentication it'll resolve properly.
  9. You can change the trigger to work with selects if you wish. You can also change the @username assignment to use SUSER_SNAME() instead and pull the Windows login info.
  10. Hmm. Lets see. I have this SQL script for bolting on an audit trail to a MS SQL database. That any use? (I completely forget where it came from, lost in the mists of time). USE MYAWESOMEDATABASE GO IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_NAME= 'Audit') CREATE TABLE Audit ( AuditID [int]IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL, Type char(1), TableName varchar(128), PrimaryKeyField varchar(1000), PrimaryKeyValue varchar(1000), FieldName varchar(128), OldValue varchar(1000), NewValue varchar(1000), UpdateDate datetime DEFAULT (GetDate()), UserNamevarchar(128) ) GO DECLARE @sql varchar(8000), @TABLE_NAMEsysname SET NOCOUNT ON SELECT @TABLE_NAME= MIN(TABLE_NAME) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Tables WHERE TABLE_TYPE= 'BASE TABLE' AND TABLE_NAME!= 'sysdiagrams' AND TABLE_NAME!= 'Audit' WHILE @TABLE_NAMEIS NOT NULL BEGIN EXEC('IF OBJECT_ID (''' + @TABLE_NAME+ '_ChangeTracking'', ''TR'') IS NOT NULL DROP TRIGGER ' + @TABLE_NAME+ '_ChangeTracking') SELECT @sql = ' create trigger ' + @TABLE_NAME+ '_ChangeTracking on ' + @TABLE_NAME+ ' for insert, update, delete as declare @bit int , @Field int , @maxfield int , @char int , @Fieldname varchar(128) , @TableName varchar(128) , @PKCols varchar(1000) , @sql varchar(2000), @UpdateDate varchar(21) , @username varchar(128) , @Type char(1) , @PKFieldSelect varchar(1000), @PKValueSelect varchar(1000) select @TableName = ''' + @TABLE_NAME+ ''' -- date and user select @username = system_user , @UpdateDate = convert(varchar(8), getdate(), 112) + '' '' + convert(varchar(12), getdate(), 114) -- Action if exists (select * from inserted) if exists (select * from deleted) select @Type = ''U'' else select @Type = ''I'' else select @Type = ''D'' -- get list of columns select * into #ins from inserted select * into #del from deleted -- Get primary key columns for full outer join select@PKCols = coalesce(@PKCols + '' and'', '' on'') + '' i.'' + c.COLUMN_NAME + '' = d.'' + c.COLUMN_NAME fromINFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS pk , INFORMATION_SCHEMA.KEY_COLUMN_USAGE c where pk.TABLE_NAME = @TableName andCONSTRAINT_TYPE = ''PRIMARY KEY'' andc.TABLE_NAME = pk.TABLE_NAME andc.CONSTRAINT_NAME = pk.CONSTRAINT_NAME -- Get primary key fields select for insert select @PKFieldSelect = coalesce(@PKFieldSelect+''+'','''') + '''''''' + COLUMN_NAME + '''''''' fromINFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS pk , INFORMATION_SCHEMA.KEY_COLUMN_USAGE c where pk.TABLE_NAME = @TableName andCONSTRAINT_TYPE = ''PRIMARY KEY'' andc.TABLE_NAME = pk.TABLE_NAME andc.CONSTRAINT_NAME = pk.CONSTRAINT_NAME select @PKValueSelect = coalesce(@PKValueSelect+''+'','''') + ''convert(varchar(100), coalesce(i.'' + COLUMN_NAME + '',d.'' + COLUMN_NAME + ''))'' from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS pk , INFORMATION_SCHEMA.KEY_COLUMN_USAGE c where pk.TABLE_NAME = @TableName and CONSTRAINT_TYPE = ''PRIMARY KEY'' and c.TABLE_NAME = pk.TABLE_NAME and c.CONSTRAINT_NAME = pk.CONSTRAINT_NAME if @PKCols is null begin raiserror(''no PK on table %s'', 16, -1, @TableName) return end select @Field = 0, @maxfield = max(ORDINAL_POSITION) from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS where TABLE_NAME = @TableName while @Field < @maxfield begin select @Field = min(ORDINAL_POSITION) from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS where TABLE_NAME = @TableName and ORDINAL_POSITION > @Field select @bit = @Field - 1 )% 8 + 1 select @bit = power(2,@bit - 1) select @char = ( @Field - 1) / 8) + 1 if substring(COLUMNS_UPDATED(),@char, 1) & @bit > 0 or @Type in (''I'',''D'') begin select @Fieldname = COLUMN_NAME from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS where TABLE_NAME = @TableName and ORDINAL_POSITION = @Field select @sql = ''insert Audit (Type, TableName, PrimaryKeyField, PrimaryKeyValue, FieldName, OldValue, NewValue, UpdateDate, UserName)'' select @sql = @sql + '' select '''''' + @Type + '''''''' select @sql = @sql + '','''''' + @TableName + '''''''' select @sql = @sql + '','' + @PKFieldSelect select @sql = @sql + '','' + @PKValueSelect select @sql = @sql + '','''''' + @Fieldname + '''''''' select @sql = @sql + '',convert(varchar(1000),d.'' + @Fieldname + '')'' select @sql = @sql + '',convert(varchar(1000),i.'' + @Fieldname + '')'' select @sql = @sql + '','''''' + @UpdateDate + '''''''' select @sql = @sql + '','''''' + @username + '''''''' select @sql = @sql + '' from #ins i full outer join #del d'' select @sql = @sql + @PKCols select @sql = @sql + '' where i.'' + @Fieldname + '' <> d.'' + @Fieldname select @sql = @sql + '' or (i.'' + @Fieldname + '' is null and d.'' + @Fieldname + '' is not null)'' select @sql = @sql + '' or (i.'' + @Fieldname + '' is not null and d.'' + @Fieldname + '' is null)'' exec (@sql) end end ' SELECT @sql EXEC(@sql) SELECT @TABLE_NAME= MIN(TABLE_NAME) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Tables WHERE TABLE_NAME> @TABLE_NAME AND TABLE_TYPE= 'BASE TABLE' AND TABLE_NAME!= 'sysdiagrams' AND TABLE_NAME!= 'Audit' END Standard disclaimers of course, I'm not responsible if you use this script and your SIMS database turns into a small squirrel.
  11. I have some new laptops that come with onboard bluetooth. We would like to keep it enabled but try and lock it down. Has anyone looked at this and had any success with controlling Bluetooth usage on Windows. Ideally through GPO?
  12. Geoff

    Old PC games

    http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/913/883/b3c.jpg
  13. I built the second level to my base, connected up some rf power and made some buildcraft progression. I now have an assembly table. Expanding my rotarycraft machinery is next.
  14. Our main site has our SCCM server. Then each secondary site (we have hub + spoke basically) is attached over MPLS. The secondary sites have a physical box that's has hyper-V and runs VM with the following roles: DC, DHCP, DNS. WSUS. File & Print. SCCM DP. Some of the site links are as terribad slow as 4mbit. But it works (we use schedules). Initial deployment of these boxes is done by provisioning them at our main site.
  15. Geoff

    Old PC games

    Battle Chess | Play DOS games online
  16. Geoff

    Old PC games

    Don't forget you could also SLI two Voodoo2's together something that disappeared in PC gaming for about 10 years before Nvidia ressurected it. Which reminds me I went from a Voodoo 2 to a a Riva TNT2 after that. Thus started the demise of 3dfx and the rise of Nvidia..
  17. Geoff

    Old PC games

    It's an 80x25 text console of course it's small.
  18. Geoff

    Old PC games

    http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/doom/images/8/8d/Setup-1.0.png/revision/latest?cb=20051022232016
  19. If these machines are Windows 7 you can use Steady State. The software and guidance is difficult to get hold of now it is discontinuned, other Edugeekers may have it on hand though.
  20. Geoff

    Old PC games

    The oldest games I used to play are games I had on my Old PC-XT (1MB Ram, 20MB HDD, Hercules orange monochrome graphics, woo!). They consisted of: Sopwith Camel (although I didn't have the later version with the birdstrikes as in the video) Simcity - The copy protection for this game was great fun. Also it's the best packaged game I've ever owned) Flight Simulator 3 Roadwar 2000
  21. 20.0.0.286 is current. Adobe - Flash Player
  22. This has just appeared in our WSUS so we've blocked it from being pushed to our client pc's. The update (KB3123862) appears to be another, more aggressive push by Microsoft to get more people onto Windows 10. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3123862
  23. I went Steel (levelled) -> Alumite (levelled) -> Ardite (levelled) -> Cobalt. Manyullyn is technically better than Cobalt but I can't find enough Ardite to make some. I have found several cobalt veins that I've marked (I couldn't mine them with my Alumite pick at the time). I need a bedrock breaker, then I can either make a rotatrycraft jetpack or modular armour and be able to fly in the nether. I'll be able to find what I need far easier then.
  24. I added a second level to my base last night and used it to expand my rotatrycraft machines. I've now got a fermenter and a coil spring winder. I think I'll have to build a steam engine next. I'm also looking to see if I can work out a way to power a bedrock breaker using coiled springs. It should be possible I'm just not sure of the gear ratios. My expeditions in the nether looking for cobalt and ardite are coming up mostly empty handed. In particular I am short of ardite.
  25. This appeared on the The Register today, seems Microsoft is giving an incentive to it's channel partners to push O365 over on premises solutions. I wonder if this will extend to Edu? Microsoft showers Office 365 sellers with gold in Google snub • The Channel
×
×
  • Create New...