Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. Think you need to read your EES agreement - EES only provides upgrade licences. So let's say you buy 30 machines, and because you have EES you think you can buy them without an OS/licence to save money. Well, that's illegal. You need to have a licence on that machine for EES - so we can upgrade to Win 7 because we hold OEM licences of Win XP on all our clients. If I'd bought them without a licence I wouldn't be able to put XP, Win 7, or even Win 98 on them until I bought some kind of licence covered under the agreement.
  2. So the OP can basically do what he wants to in terms of upgrading the motherboards and when asked he can just say "they all went up in smoke, had to replace them" and nobody is going to be none the wiser?
  3. So if our 4 year old out of warranty machine fails, and we send it to the county where hold an SLA for repairs, and they fit another motherboard but of a different model/spec how would we stand? What about if the motherboard they fit had an OEM licence (because it was from another machine) - does that licence transfer with the board?
  4. Just reset the profile. Get that quite often here (like 2 or 3 times a month) with the kids - never seen it with a staff account yet though
  5. Yeah, it's a bit heavy but this is my tool of choice. The features of it are fantastic, but one of the main reasons I use it is I dabble in a few areas (like Android development) so having one tool to do most of my coding work is a big bonus.
  6. @ZeroHour - I've used CodeIgniter a couple of times for some PHP/MySQL projects and it did fine by me. It wasn't too bad to get to know, and has a really good reference online to quickly find the solution to a problem. The worst part was getting used to MVC, but it all made sense after a while. Now, if I have another PHP project I'll be downloading the latest CodeIgniter - it takes the boring stuff out of setting up, and allows you to jump straight in and start coding straight away.
  7. It's built using the CodeIgniter framework, and a quick Google states that it can't: Using Codeigniter, PHP and Microsoft SQL Server « 64 Square Feet Sorry
  8. Why not get both schools to purchase one each, and sell it to the schools as an offsite backup? Both schools get an agreed amount of space on the other device used to have a safe, secure offsite backup?
  9. Bet it would have taken less than an hour to type by hand though
  10. I've just had 10 minutes play with it, and couldn't really get it to do anything you can't do in a browser.
  11. A man walks into his bedroom with a sheep tucked under his arm, up to his bed where his wife is lying. MAN: "This is the pig that I normally sleep with when you've got a head ache" WIFE: "I think you'll find, that is a sheep" MAN: "I think you'll find, I was talking to the sheep"
  12. The only advice you have asked for is this: Which a quick search, and the links in my post answered - or was there something you were after that I missed like this bit of text hidden
  13. Dunno mind, the 3 pairs of glasses you own could be the bearing of that score
  14. Normal. The further into the minuses, the cooler you are. The further into the positives, the geekier you are. 0 is normal.
  15. Does nobody use search facilities any more?! http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/42399-netsupport-alternatives.html http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/6797-open-source-alternative-net-support-school.html http://www.edugeek.net/forums/network-classroom-management/52194-netsupport-school-other.html To name but a few
  16. Just posting here for the purposes of anyone else who might stumble on it as it seems I have found a solution. I stumbled on this entry here: PXE-E55: ProxyDHCP service did not reply to request on port 4011 | Sysadminsblog.com Content All approved and rejected devices are added to a database. If a device is rejected WDS will not respond to requests coming from this device. The best way to solve this is to clear the rejected and/or approved devices database. To do this log on to your WDS server and run the following command: Wdsutil.exe /delete-autoadddevices /devicetype:rejecteddevices Wdsutil.exe /delete-autoadddevices /devicetype:approveddevices I stumbled on this when searching for an error: PXE-E55 Proxy DHCP Service did not reply to request on port 4011, but it also seems to have fixed my slow TFTP problem too.
  17. I'd buy a second hand one of these: An inside look at Nato's £160m deep-sea search and rescue boat - The Daily Record :should be about £100million second hand right? Then I'd stock up on beans and go on a deep sea exploration to find proof that Osama Bin Laden was killed.
  18. I'd buy another Kindle for the missus - sick of her pinching mine!
  19. Ooooooo, showing your geek rating there I'm afraid: items on belt / (items in pockets + items on belt) + number of pairs of glasses owned - number of led zeppelin albums owned * the number of tools on average to complete a job * (number of programming languages comfortable with using / 2) So for instance I have 3 items in my pockets, 0 on my belt, don't wear glasses, own 3 led zeppelin albums, it normally takes me a screwdriver and wire cutters to complete the average job, and I'm pretty comfortable in 4 programming languages. 0 / (3 + 0) + 0 - 3 * 2 * (4 / 2) That gives me a geek rating of -12 making me uber cool on the HGRT (Hightower Geek Rating Scale)
  20. Contents of my bag: Half a brain that seriously lacks common sense Mouth that never stops complaining Eyes to glare whenever I breath out of place Big feet to kick me up the backside for 'doing it wrong' yet again ..... oh, you mean bag as in a carrying device. I thought you meant the witch that lives with me at home
  21. I'd get inked from neck to toe
  22. Trade the hammer for a screwdriver and you'll be ready for just about everything
  23. I've set up folder redirection for user documents, and it works except for it shows \\SERVER\Share\Username\My Folder in the address bar for the user instead of N:\My Folder The client is XP Pro Sp3 and the GPO is configured on S2008R2. Any help?
  24. US Releases Proof of Osama's Death
      • 1
      • Thanks
  25. WDS is working pretty well for me, except it for some reason hangs on this screen for around 30 seconds: I'm sure when I first set up WDS it whizzed past this screen and pretty much instantly started loading the boot image. The boot image only takes a minute to load (which I expect is about normal) and the installation images don't take long at all, so I think WDS is functioning as it should. It's just the TFTP... bit that takes a while. Any ideas? EDIT: In the attached image it is apparent that this screen shot is taken on a VM, but I have also tried various bits of hardware and it is the same for all.
×
×
  • Create New...