-
Posts
4,417 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Haptic
-
What can I say Little-Miss; our Enemy of the State-esque monitoring gives us access to all thoughts within the IT community so we can strike like the networking Ninjas that we are...
-
Using the same amount of growth is also unrealistic. The housing boom pushed the prices up dramatically as you know, but how many of those do you think we will be having in the next 10 to 20 years looking at the economy currently? I am off out to a site visit now, so thanks for the debate - I have enjoyed it as it has been both thought provoking and interesting to hear everyone's views and situations. That is the part I enjoy on here. I have never been one for personal attacks and those of you who know me on here will hopefully agree! Chris
-
I am not ignoring anything at all - For a lot of people it isn't possible currently, but there are also a hell of a lot of people like me who do save and are renting currently? And it is possible - 8 out of 10 of my friends have all done this over the last 5 years so I know it is. I live in Market Harborough and the 3 bedroom property that I rent and it is currently valued at £179k so I know what you are saying but it is possible! Chris
-
Seriously you are still doing it - This is not nor ever has been a personal persecution aimed at you?? Chris
-
You are still taking this very personally and I am speaking about the subject in general - I would say the same to anyone so please try and separate my views from a personal attack on yourself! I really don't mean it that way and you seem to be taking offence......again. At no pint have I said your views are less valid either again, you taking it personally. Why does it have to be personal on here- this is what puts others off posting and why the forum has so many blooming lurkers! I would not say get on the ladder asap when your choices are borrowing money to do it or going though shared ownership schemes, again putting yourself in more debt and paying even more over the odds for a pipe dream of having to own your own property. It really isn't worth it,. If you have been helped onto the ladder by parents or anyone else it surely isn't as easy to suggest to others to look at this route is it? I am sorry but I still think that is a fair point. As I have said previously we obviously aren't going to agree so let's agree to disagree...........nothing is ever black and white so I think this is a fair end to my posts. Sorry again if you have taken offence - I really cannot help that it is just my view. Chris
-
But that is you specifically - I am saving and can afford to with my partner - we can save up to £400 a month and will still take ages but were are trying - why is that such a problem to everyone else? So is the answer not to try at all and borrow instead? That is what i am getting at. Chris
-
But it is doable - it just means sacrificing...... that is what I meant. Chris
-
No they aren't "wrong" and I have never sad at any point they are "wrong". What I said was, it is a bit rich to say it is more secure and not throwing money away and you should get on the ladder when the only reason you are there is because your parents saved and helped you get there, I stand by it. If you are lucky enough for your parents to do this for you then that is great but you cannot really offer others advice and to be honest I would be a little shy about it - not proud to the point I am offering advice to others to get on the ladder and not throw your money away renting which is what was said previously. That is just the way I am. How can you take loan from the bank for a deposit, as well as pay the mortgage and call yourself fiscally responsible? You are piling debt upon yourself from both sides - the people I know who have done this are the same people who are now really struggling and for what to "own" a house? "not paid attention..........or I just don't want to read it" not very constructive but cheers @aerospacemango Chris
-
I can see that it is more now, but the principle is still the same - they saved over 3 years, as oppose to 5 but they still saved! 3 x your salary is still a fair old task no? Well it is for me anyway. Chris
-
Call you irresponsible? Ha ha thanks - no not at all. Not too sure what you are getting at there tbh? Chris
-
That is where we disagree and we will have to leave it at that - I am not from the school of thought that means you can only be self sufficient by winning or inheriting money. I wouldn't have any self drive if I thought like that and it seems very shortsighted. I suppose the question would be, how did our parents all do it? The answer is they saved and yes it was long and hard, but they all managed to do it. I just find it a bit rich to give advice on buying a property and suggest to people they should get on the property ladder due to security and not throwing money away on rent. When, the only reason they are on the ladder in the first place is because someone else put them there. In the words of Big Dunc Bannatyne - "I'm out" Chris
-
The comment was mine personally and not that of my company or an official company line Hi I am Chris by the way, nice to erm.............you having a bad morning? I think you misunderstood what I was saying - all I said was anyone is that fiscally responsible why would they need to borrow or be given a deposit. It seems a fair enough point to me and it wasn't aimed at you in particular. I always find this a problem on here - nothing is meant as a personal jibe, only interpreted that way. Your comments however do seem personal now? Maybe it is just me. It seems like you are angry at my personal views and I am afraid that is life and to be honest I stand by it. You cannot be fully fiscally responsible if you live to your means, pay all of your bills but the main chunk (the deposit) is or was paid by someone else? You cannot possibly advise others of how to do it when someone has paid yours for you surely? That is what we have MP's for My sincerest apologies if I caused offence, I certainly didn't mean it that way - was just giving my opinion which at the end of the day is what the general chat part of the forum is all about? I like to call it a debate, not an argument and I like to give my opinion as others do. If I ever cause offence to anyone on here, it isn't ever meant that way. Chris
-
Fiscal responsibility - Didn't you say your parents laid down the deposit for you? My view and choice have nothing to do with fiscal responsibility or lack of it - just personal preference and living my life. I can do the same as you after 30 years and have all of my care paid for - which let's face it is what we all would do rather than having to pay for it ourselves. I won't have to hide the money from my house or donate it to my children. The only difference being I wouldn't have worked my whole life, to in effect hand to over to my children for them to get on the ladder. Security as you call it is double edged to me. It revolves around your job/career and if you lost your job, how long can you realistically keep up your mortgage repayments before your house is repossessed. Then how much security do you have and what have you gained. As I said when it comes to it I will of course get on the ladder, but it will not be an over exertion and I won't put myself in potential trouble because it is the "secure" responsible option! Chris
-
I rent as well - 10% deposit is okay but the repayments are normally a killer. It is more like 20% around where I live just to make the repayments more manageable. At the moment I am happy to rent. I think in our country we have a fascination with owning property whereas a lot of others do just rent. I think this is why a lot of people (including some of my closest friends) end up in negative equity due to the misguided pressure to own said property. Personally although the rent is a killer sometimes I do not have to worry about the house price being at a certain level in order sell the property at a profit or potentially defaulting on my mortgage and with a months notice I am free to move. Too many jump in and over exert themselves and all the end up doing is getting in a mess financially which then takes years to get out of. There will come the time when I am ready to buy and when I do it will be somewhere small, affordable and after 2 years (to avoid paying charges) I will sell it for a profit and try and get a larger place. During those two years I will save more and then and then make the leap to a larger property that I plan to stay in for a while. Well, that is the master plan anyway. The shared ownership schemes are okay but you are still paying your rent plus the payments for the mortgaged share also. I have heard of people getting themselves into financial difficulty with this kind of scheme also so you need to be sure. Gone are the days when your parents paid next to nothing as a deposit and the repayments were easy to manage. We may as well face it and not hold owning a property as some sort of mark to whether you have achieved or not. When I tell people I rent they look at me gone out, like I am stupid. If you don't want to live at home with the parents and you don't want to use their money for a deposit, then other than saving constantly for the next 10 years you aren't left with many options these days. Having said that.............good luck in your endeavors @cpjitservices Chris
-
Agreed Chris
-
It is good to see the lottery funding working...............now for the Olympics! Chris
-
Hey, depends who is wearing it! Seriously though know your limits - I think deep down you know if lycra complements you or not. ....I don't look good in a Mankini or Budgie-smuggling speedo's so I don't wear them, even if I am beach bound! Chris
-
John carpenters "The Fog" Not the tripe remake either, scared logs outta me. At 9 years old I hadn't seen anything like it! Joe
-
Only messing @andyturpie Chris
-
I didn't realise we were recommending suppliers - in which case I recommend me! Chris
-
I would always recommend at least i3 but preferably i5 processor and a SSD if you have no real need for huge storage. The PC's will be a lot quicker that way. Then I would suggest Windows 7 Home as the OS, depending on whether you have a MS license agreement as this will keep the costs down on the actual unit. Hope it helps. Chris
-
[video] Dear the USA.. please stop remaking things..
Haptic replied to LiamH's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
No-one has even mentioned Boardwalk Empire. Possibly one of the best shows I have ever seen! I didn't think anything would ever rival The Wire or Sopranos but I cannot wait for the 3rd season - more Stephen Graham apparently as it starts to focus on Capone's rise to fame! Chris -
[video] Dear the USA.. please stop remaking things..
Haptic replied to LiamH's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
So what do you like? Chris -
[video] Dear the USA.. please stop remaking things..
Haptic replied to LiamH's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Tumbleweed time hey Well if you get the chance and liked the West Wing you will like this as it is Aaron Sorkin's new project and stars Jeff Daniels (of Dumb and Dumber fame) It is better than it sounds! ha Chris -
[video] Dear the USA.. please stop remaking things..
Haptic replied to LiamH's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Personally I am liking The Newsroom at the minute. Anyone else seen it? Chris
