Jiser
Members-
Posts
499 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jiser
-
Doing the beta in a few weeks. Hopefully will pass.
-
True. Effectively removing the need for the Assistant headteacher (in some schools or deputy) to be the line manager with various I.T. related roles - those who usually have no real knowledge of I.T. Would be nice to see people with genuine I.T. experiance taking these roles - those who have more real world experiance than in education. Would make a big difference in kids education if the role was done well.
-
Seems to add more bureaucracy? If done properly though in a larger school without micromanagement it could effectively bridge the gap between education/techy side of things. Don't see how there would be enough work though for any I.T. Director unless they are taking over curriculum roles and techy roles? Therefore taking jobs from I.T. Hod and Network manager.
-
Nice man, sounds like something I wish I could have done when I went to University. Exactley the stuff I would wanted to have study by the 2nd year. Definately do the foundation degree. I assume your be working during this time? = Added bonus then top up and get your honours degree at the end. Plus u cud do Cisco acadamy if your bothered by the end? End of the day a degree is for life. CCNA isn't! Plus you open yourself up for alot more whether now or in the future as a graduate than someone with a CCNA IMO. For example graduate schemes.
-
Using I.T. to fund travels. I would like to be a tour guide one day.
-
Get an image of your machines in the state you want it. Clonezilla is a nice free one to use or FOG. Anymore problems in future simple reimage and voila.
-
Loved it, was just over in bc then Yukon for a week before Alaska and can tell you it is pretty wild!! Just dirt roads for miles and miles with nothing. Random moose and bears just walk across the road in front of u. Nearly shat myself when we saw a grizzly not so far away when hiking (lost). I can only imagine what its like alone like that - very scary. Added to that wolves/cayotes howling in the middle of night. Can't wait for next installment.
-
Time to bring back the slipper! Send the children to the Cole mines to work!! If they work hard and do an honest 9 hours work no break they can come have a few hours of free education.
-
Rubbish money for such a large managerial role - IMO. Should be at least 30k!! I know in the past and of tesco managers of the 'frozen' department on that sort of money for this job.,
-
All of it seems to be made in vietnam or china nowa days. I bougt a few 80 quid stuff a few times with zips breaking, getting caught, sewing coming undone allmost straight away. : ( What happened to decent stuff your paying alot of money for!? Which cost like a quid to make. Specially when I am off to Alaska in a week :/ - Hoping to get some stuff out there in Seattle but prices will probably be exactley the same. A rip!
-
There was like ten I.T. school jobs in Hampshire last I checked out of curiosity the other week. Guess recruiting for new term.
-
Apprently the guy snapped after being taunted etc. Also said go f off and have a stroke again. Something along those lines I here - just a rumour tho. So the science teacher hit him with a metal weight. There is a facebook group up with members of his school, so probs more info to be found there.
-
That is good money for primary.
-
As I said before home study. Exams cost between 88-130 odd I believe and you do them at test centers. Books/cds you can get from ebay or amazon.o.uk.
-
Not bad. Pretty much the same I imagine as most grad job starting wages I have seen about. Better than an NQT wage or similar at least. Probably stuffed tho at the top of ur pay scale though.
-
Basically what he said. I looked around a year ago or so and emailed allot of grad schemes its going to be near on impossible with a 2.2. If I was you I would look at improving your skill set by doing stuff like the CompTIA A+, N+ which are electives for the MCSA then upgrade to 2008 with the upgrade exam. You could do all this home study. Just check out ebay plenty of resources to buy tho (its not legal) - but if you haven't got several 1000 to buy lots of nice resources and tests then do that.Thats if you want to be a techy? Teaching seems to be quite a safe career at the moment if you want to stay in schools. Could always look at getting a full time I.T. tech job at other school. Just keep your eyes open for em. Might been lucky or unlucky whichever way you look at it and get BSF'd then have plenty of future career paths + free training from your new employer such as RM. Gd luck.
-
Have you set the passwords in the fog settings under other information? I had same error untill all passwords were the same and correctly put in the right places.
-
Spoke to an old friend a TESCO trolly pusher other day who is on same sort of wage as me. As others have said though if you don't like the pay why apply and then moan about it. In my honest opinion though all but trainee techs should be on the same as an NQT at least more so if they have a degree/experiance/professional certification. Specially when IMO techs are far more capable than the teachers actually teaching the subject!!! Also alot of the techs are key to the efficient/effective running of the school, allthough in current climate I imagine easy to replace. I think 18 - 24 k is reasonable for techs. Managers being on between 25 - 35k depending on responsibilities and years worked. Can't moan though with a final salary pension as well to boot.
-
NVQ 3 in Management for free in Northants
Jiser replied to Kitkatninja's topic in Courses and Training
Not for I.T. bods down in Dorset / Bournemouth / Poole LEA's seems to be buger all. Gotta do everything yourself if you want to get anything cert wise. -
Everything is set on DHCP as per the user guide right ? Dono what your using for DHCP. Thats just a quick guess.
-
I actually did this today as I did the same mistake - well FOG kinda turned into a little play to a working imaging solution. You can make a FOG storage node but why do that when you can just use a larger drive? 1) Formatted bigger drive for ubuntu 2) Using clonezilla cloned the smaller drive over to the larger drive (didn't create image, it has a clone option from disk to disk) 3) Voila worked perfectly no problems at all 4) Got a spare disk with fog now as a backup : ) - tho maybe I shud put it on CD jst incase Annoying thing will be to go round and set the boot options on all 700 odd devices. MMM I need a squad of I.T. prefects - 50. Ok this was done from a 30 gig to a 250 gig which IMO is ample space for about 20 images probably, I cant remember how small you can make them. You can use sysprep with xp system tools (if adding to domain) which may help.
-
You move to a place where you can get more money, better prospects etc Common use your common sense. No offense fatp (i am not sure if your on certforums as well) but you do seem to ask allot of obvious and stupid questions. As others have said I can see it being an issue 'pigeonholed'. Some older members of my family and friends some who are/have been in senior positions as consultants and in highly paid jobs seem to think its a bit of a joke to work in a school. Ok perhaps it is when allot of techs are earning buger all. End of the day there are like 1200 odd users on our network and one can get involved in any number of things in a school. Thats allot of devices we have as a result, similar size I imagine to a decent sized probably large business. You just have to sell yourself in a good way - its not difficult.
-
Got it working after a while. Had quite a few problems but hey! Works good now. Just imaging it over to a bigger drive now (if it works) so we have room for all the images. Imaging the imaging server good times!
-
Primary sole tech/secondary support tech - which to choose?
Jiser replied to znova's topic in Educational IT Jobs
You want inspiration look at this link: My First Year In IT - CertForums He achieved a hell of allot in a year.
