Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. Not bad, but I found it a while ago. Just been working on the last track for a few days now and hoping to wrap it up today.
  2. You might be surprised, when I was there Capita were always happy to come to an arrangement for difficult installations/upgrades. Plus the actual SLG components should be independent of the authentication side, so that wouldn't affect it.
  3. Anything stuck under the Ctrl key?
  4. I'm afraid research disagrees with you - Boffins brew up formula for consummate cuppa ? reghardware
  5. Didn't this go around a few months ago as well? I'm sure I remember it from back then.
  6. I've got a profile for my @personaldomain.org address though - or is this specifically for google apps?
  7. The SD card would be an option and I'll look into it, thanks for that. The CDFS idea isn't a bad one, but we do want to be able to update virus definitions on the toolkit and other updates without having to rebuild each time.
  8. I remember that some time ago all USB keys had one of these switches, but now I'm having difficulty finding one. We've had enough virus problems recently that I want to create a few USB keys with read-only switches and a bootable Linux recovery LiveCD. I've got the recovery CD, but what I really need is the USB keys with that switch. Does anyone know where to get them? Thanks in advance.
  9. But the article actually says they're dropping the requirement for cursive handwriting, not for handwriting in general. When's the last time anyone here wrote anything in cursive rather than print? I know that when they tried to drill it into me at school I always found it annoying, difficult to read, and a complete waste of time. The moment I got out of school I switched back to printed handwriting and finally learned that I could both write quickly, and legibly.
  10. Did you restart the machine after making the config changes?
  11. A small, cheap computer running Windows Live Mesh?
  12. I believe the first cert you order for each qualification from the MCP portal is free - any subsequent ones aren't. On the other hand there's now the electronic transcript, which is much easier to share with people and looks fairly nice.
  13. It'll work on any digital camera - unlike us they're sensitive to infrared light, and show it as bright white on a display. Actually we're sensitive to infrared/ultraviolet too, but the lens of our eyes screens them out.
  14. Works great as a quick and dirty test of fibre connections as well.
  15. Microsoft have stated previously that neither is a 'higher' qualification, unlike the MCSE and MCSA, but that the EA is aimed more at a management-type role, while the SA is targetted more towards server administrators. Almost everyone else I know describes the EA as being the 'higher' qualification.
  16. Exchange? Microsoft Live Calendar? Google Calendar?
  17. There's two variants available there - you can be a Jack of All Trades and Master of None, or work a little harder and become the incredibly valuable Jack of All Trades and Master of Some. Get a few areas of particular expertise under your belt (preferably things which interest you) and make sure you keep a general appreciation for everything else - makes you worth a fortune in the right job.
  18. Amazon are meant to be bringing in ebook lending at some point (up to 14 days loan) and there other various free programs available for reading. One option might be, once they've bought this in, a central 'library' account which can loan books to the kid's accounts on request. I don't know how the legality of this would work, though I can't spot any obvious problems (if the books are authorised for lending, they're authorised for lending) and the system would need some planning.
  19. I'd see keep some sort of physical book presence, even if it's ebook readers and a bunch of ebooks on them. Simply, books (and ebooks) are much more comfortable to read than a computer screen, and much more easily portable. All of the online libraries I know of tend to be somewhat more academic than you might be looking for.
  20. Thanks - I guess the options are either get the directors to approve the account access, or simply kill the mailbox (which still requires some obscure kind of approval - even though it was last used in 2006). Alternatively in a couple of months we get to upgrade to Exchange 2010, so I could just quietly ignore the problem until then. Either way, thanks again.
  21. Networking and hardware's always a good place to start, and you can then build on that. Really though if you want to go into IT, you need to know a little bit of everything (unless you want to go specialist, but you don't seem to know what you'd like to specialise in). Keep up with the tech news, experiment with different software, try to get involved in everything going on with the network team you're working with (and help out). If you come across something you haven't seen, look it up and find out about it as well as simply asking questions.
  22. I went straight for the EA and skipped the SA entirely. In theory they're meant to be for separate roles (EA being more for network planning and the like, while SA is more focussed on individual servers), in practice the skills you get at either would be useful. EA tends to sound a little more impressive to management types though.
  23. 1. Already checked in the Exchange delivery rules, and everything in AD (also had a look through the actual LDAP properties in case something wasn't showing up in the GUI. 2. Done. 3. No can do - the account's disabled, the mailbox is disabled, all access to it is meant to be prevented and I can't reactivate anything without Director-level approval. Currently it's an irritation, but not that big a one. 4. The messages don't have anything odd in the headers, but this is added to the content - Auto forwarded by a Rule - as far as I was aware any Outlook rules are client-side only, and since there's no client available I don't see how this could be happening. Thanks for the suggestions.
  24. That should at least keep the logs from exploding - seen the same thing many a time with SharePoint.
  25. What recovery mode is the SQL database set to?
×
×
  • Create New...