Jay
Members-
Posts
72 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jay
-
Try something like the below and bind to a gridview/datagrid. (from memory, so untested) Function getFoo() As DataSet Dim ds As New DataSet Dim oConn As New SqlConnection(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("Foo_Connection").ConnectionString) Dim oComm As New SqlCommand With oComm .Connection = oConn .CommandText = "FooDB.dbo.sp_Get_My_Foo" .CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure End With oComm.Parameters.Add("@Param1", Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = sParam1 oComm.Parameters.Add("@Param2", Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = sParam2 oComm.Parameters.Add("@Param3", Data.SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = sParam3 Dim DA As New SqlDataAdapter(oComm) Try DA.Fill(ds) Catch ex As Exception Throw Return Nothing Finally If Not (oConn.State = ConnectionState.Closed) Then oConn.Dispose() End Try Return ds End Function
-
Outlook 2000 (sp1) refused to connect in anything other than IMAP/POP. I tried any number of mailbox and server name combinations just in case it wasn't the same as 2003/2007 but no joy, nothing worked.
-
Outlook 2007 uses RPC over HTTP by default, only 2003+ can work with it. We use IMAP with Outlook 2000. I've not actually tried it though. I might have a go tomorrow if I can find a machine with 2000 on it and a few spare minutes.
-
I've got the labs version running, it using Adobe Air (whatever that is) but not the Kontiki thing that leaches bandwidth and causes windows to crash (more). Actually seems pretty decent to use.
-
D-Link DIR-655 router - Port Forwarding or Virtual Server?
Jay replied to link470's topic in Wireless Networks
If you are reserving the address via MAC allocation on the router, then you should leave the machine set to DHCP. -
Console script (DOS'ish) vs Windows Script (Interactive) What he said basically.
-
If you do, would you make the documentation publicly available? I've used Zimbra in the past and would like to try and configure a demo setup with word filtering, backup and full resiliance, but don't know how much time I'll need.
-
Those are the kind of thing contracts are suppose to take care of. You could also argue why bother buying web hosting services from say Rackspace when you could host in-house. I'm not suggesting its always the best idea, but its not always the worse option either.
-
Chap i work with just bough 10! of the 3 channel PicooZ things for presents. At £15, I think I might buy a few myself. (I have nephews and nieces over for christmas, quiet at any price is good value.). http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Gadgets/Flying-Toys/Silverlit-Atlas-3-Channel-Picooz(0034859)
-
Interesting that Frog came up quite high, I've seen it a fair bit and though although the extras that came with it were very good, the basic system was no more than a CMS for storing files. Wonder if I've not seen it as its best? I've used or reviewed most of the others. Fronter is very good for interoperability and functionality, you do have to buy plus packs though, (also just been bought by Pearson so it's future direction is a little uncertain). RM's system is superb for primary schools due to its look and feel. Uniservity was liked by a lot of students due to its speed of use (fewer clicks). Netmedia is improving, the new look is much better. Have to admit, I'm not a fan of the sharepoint VLE's, I've yet to see one that really stands out as more than just a content management system. Moodle is great, as long as you have someone looking after it with plugins, add ons and branding etc. One thing where I think it's hard to be impartial, its not *always* best to host the server yourselves. If the server room burns down and you're off sick and can't take off site backups... (frankly, who wants to take off site backups.)
-
I'd be a little wary of using this argument, anyone trained to use email as a tool should be ok with any solution, not just one. Exchange isn't the only player in the enterprise market. Will probably go down well with the non-IT SMT though. Having said that, the biggest selling point (aside from it's got a shiny 2007 badge) for us has been calendaring and sharing, typically together. You might want to see what your VLE offers though, as VLE intergration could be even more valuable.
-
Have you tried manually removing it. I don't have a (Windows) DNS server to hand, but I though (perhaps incorrectly) that the reverse lookups where configured manually.
-
I think we paid around £400 for two processor licences for 2003 (2008 upgrade rights). Popping them on a cheap Dell, (2xXeon, SAS, 8GB RAM) allows me to run over 20 VM's at once. It's capable of a lot more with extra memory as I'm mainly using it for web servers and suchlike where the processor and discs are hardly used. Have to admit, I'm going to be looking at ESX or something similar for production systems where I want HA, inc on the fly migration between boxes. Aiming for the magic 99.99% uptime is going to cost a bit.
-
If you use Windows Datacentre for your host you are licenced for any number of Windows Server guest OS's (of the same vintage). Its what we use (with VMWare Server 2) to keep licencing costs down for non-essential stuff like Windows update servers and test boxes.
-
Maplin sell a load as well. A mate at work brought a little £25 one in and was mucking around with it. This looks like the one he used. PicooZ Atlas 3-Channel Remote Controlled Helicopter > Maplin I do know that 2 channels usually gives up/down and rotate left/right, 3 channel adds forwards/backwards and 4 channel left/right movement. I'm no expert though.
-
If you look at BT's product offerings you can get 2Mbps megastream or some fibre offerings from 10Mbps-1Gbps (just swap over NTE's). The only issue with the fibre is paying Openreach to lay 2 miles of it. You could also bond ADSL together, 2 lines is do'able. There are also licenced radio and line of sight laser solutions, they tend to use 2Mbps circuits but can be bonded together (and you only increase the circuits, no additional masts). The main issue we had with these is getting planning permission (wayleave), it takes ages and can stall completley if someone complains. Whilst you might think 6Mbps ADSL is quicker than 2Mbps megastream, the contention ratio makes a big difference to sustained data rates in busy exchanges at peak times.
-
Have you tried setting an additional email address for each user and set that address to be the default reply one. (Email tab, untick the checkbox first, then add new address and set to default)
-
Not been able to read all of the (lenthy) posts, but If you really really are going to go for it.... MIS intergration... 1) Sims.Net (Capita) supports IMS export 2) Serco Facilty has an API to export data (IMS format too I think) 3) Pearson e1 has a Web Data Services (web services) tool to extract data in bulk. Although they write the reports upon request, they also have a "Report Writer" tool that allows data extraction at a school level. 4) Pearson Phoenix Gold has an IMS export tool (or so I'm informed) I don't think may MIS providers permit the import of data. I've been told that Capita have a tool for it (at extra cost) but not sure on the others. As you can see from the list, understanding and supporting the IMS formats are a must. Becta has also mandated SIF as the future mechanism for data exchange, the core data set is fairly similar to IMS core and the eduPerson LDAP schema. All the suppliers above and more are working on or already have SIF agents. For authentication and access control, Shibboleth is the mantra in higher and further education and is gradually devolving down to school level. You can find out more via Internet2 (Shibboleth) and Oasis (eduPerson schema, IMS plus SCORM). Edustructures are the leading provider of SIF software (Zone Intergration Server and development tools), the UK data schema is authoured by a SIFA working group. You might want to start by building a core set of modules to facilitate interoperability and intergration and not worry about the features until later. Most technical people are happy with simple systems that "just work" and don't care about the bells and whistles so much (IMO).
-
We have Cisco switches with class 2 PoE (7 watts per channel), Nortel Mediatrix Survivable Media Gateways and a large Nortel main switch. Handsets are variable type, some basic, some with login and large screens, but all are BT own brand. The whole thing is managed by BT. There are PSTN links into each gateway in case of network failure (multiple site). One thing I found interesting is what class of power the handsets need, most seem class 2, but a few are class 3 and that has a knock on effect on what you pay for switches. We don't have any power bricks/injectors with our handsets, all done over the line.
-
You can configure a mail store automatically using a PRF file. The easiest way is to use the office setup file with a switch to start the customisation tool and create a templated PRF and then edit it in notepad to insert placeholders. You could use a login script to automatically insert the correct usernames/passwords and import to outlook. Customize Outlook profiles by using an Outlook Profile (PRF) file I can't recall the switch to use off hand, try setup.exe /? to see what it gives you. I've used this to configure accounts automatically, works a treat.
-
Discs dont use much power, compared with things like Graphics Cards and CPU's so I'd say 400 watt ought to be fine. Of course thats only if its 400 watt sustained and not one of these 400w peak on a good day in Feb, when the ambient temp is below 10c, and the year is a prime number types. (I once ran up a Qtek 550w on a test bed and got less than 300w out of it when maxed out.) From memory each drive ought to use up to 25w at startup and less in operation. I think the newer SAS ones use much less, as do most 2.5inch.
-
One of my collegues signed another up as a "Technical Donut Assesser", he wasn't too keen to wear the badge though.
-
Good call, IE trojan. Troj/DwnLdr-HIW Trojan - Sophos security analysis
-
Have you removed the trend micro stuff? Might be worth running some sort of cleaning tool to get all of it off. I don't know of one offhand, but cleanwipe does the job for Symantec. Also "AOE4A4.EXE" isn't one I recognise, maybe disable it it from starting as well as removing trend before doing a reboot. (Age of Empires 4??)
-
The EISA partition may just be an area used for the factory restore. A lot of pre-installed machines seem to have them, the fujitsu siemens laptop I was looking at the other day for instance.
