-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
In the registry. Use Registry - Custom Login Message (Windows XP) for the key (typing is not going to go well at this time in the morning )
-
I wouldn't bother changing class (since CIDR is in common use now, and you have a private IP range anyway, I would just extend your subnet mask). Use a CIDR calculator to find a good balance. A mask of 255.255.240.0 (or in CIDR notation, 192.168.0.0/20) will give you 4,094 usable addresses (192.168.0.0 - 192.168.15.255). Just ensure this doesn't overlap with any other addressing scheme you have or are in contact with, like an area network. See RFC 1918 (rfc1918) - Address Allocation for Private Internets, RFC 1519 (rfc1519) - Classless Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR): an Address Ass
-
Well, normally I'd say replace the disk, but if it's brand new out of the box (or within warranty) it deserves to be replaced in whole. If there's a silly amount of data on it, though, £40 for a new disk isn't so bad compared with the time it takes to get the data off first.
-
If it's only been on a short time, and especially at this time of day, I'd leave it switched on over the weekend to rule out that it's building the array for the first time. If it's still degraded on Monday, revisit the problem. If it's something like a loose cable, you might get away with it rebuilding on its own, or you may have to intervene and request a rebuild (possibly from scratch). If everything seems ok, send it back.
-
The Fourth Plinth - Antony Gormley
-
[website] Simple & Addictive game for your Friday Lunch enjoyment.
powdarrmonkey replied to mattx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
/me is addicted -
Girl gets sunburn at school after suncream ban
powdarrmonkey replied to p858snake's topic in General Chat
I have a friend in environmental health and her attitude is exactly the same (good example: people who don't look where they're going in supermarket car parks and trip on kerbs really wind her up - it's her that they complain to!) -
I did an upgrade this week, and it's fine. One caveat: if you have legacy images that show up as RISETUP (not RIPREP), you must convert them first or you won't be able to later. Do it by pulling them down to a machine and then immediately capturing them again as boot images. This caused us problems with some Ghost auto-images.
-
Not any more it's not
-
I used to use the Wireless Setup Wizard thing and a USB disk for networks with a fixed key (non-radius networks).
-
Got it I have to confess to being a serial thanks-abuser Because reps aren't displayed publicly, I sometimes use Thanks to indicate I thought something was funny, witty, useful, to the point, or some other adjective. Hence my suggestion of awarding a post some arbitrary stars: I think I'd get annoyed if every post had a box of reppers under it, cluttering the display - I'd rather see an overview and have a popup of more information if I cared enough.
-
Tech Guy will be on the 4th Plinth in ONE HOUR !!
powdarrmonkey replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
Looks like he's starting to get tired, shuffling about a bit. -
I got a blue one the other day, too. No idea what the difference is. Edit: oh, other bugbear: I can only see the last five actions in the user CP - any chance of a bigger history?
-
Hmm, I like the idea, but I also like being able to rep in a way that only the poster sees (and even, hypothetically, repping anonymously, like they do at the moment). I'd rather see a 5-star post rating that gets averaged.
-
Isn't "10. Normal colour vision." discriminatory?
-
Girl gets sunburn at school after suncream ban
powdarrmonkey replied to p858snake's topic in General Chat
o_O It'd never happen here. Oh, wait.. -
You mean, refresh the list? watch --interval= "mysqladmin processlist |grep " where n is an integer of seconds, 2 by default.
-
Aww, many happy returns witch. (Although I'm deeply jealous that Simon's honouring you in such a way ) If you dig out a webcam we'll celebrate card-opening with you (the birthday bot only cares if you declare the day of your birthday.. it missed me out too)
-
Myth and legend still make the internet what it is today: "Microsoft are going to close all Hotmail accounts, but if you tell fourteen other contacts they'll send you a thousand dollars instead!!!11!!" (disclaimer: this is true as confirmed by the ACME Press Association and the Microsoft UK Email Lotto)
-
It's waaay too early to be trying to understand that tangle... my brain hurts now! Good story though.
-
Do customers of XP with software assurance have upgrade rights to Windows 7? (I'm expecting conflicting answers here )
-
I keep a journal for our sixth form further reading. It's a mix of cool interesting stuff, like this, background reading to back up their course material, bits and pieces of what I'm up to outside work (like my FOSS development) and collections of useful articles.
-
Robocopy with a GUI.... give that man a coconut!
