-
Posts
492 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by budgester
-
LGfL 2.0 Problems
budgester replied to Shaun_Dark_Lord's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It's not IN, it's OUT traffic. I can't ssh OUTbound on my network unless I set up the ip address it's going to. But apparently I am allowed to ftp out, from ANY/ANY. Lets assume my workstations addresses are all DHCP configured, and that I could be logging into any PC on my network, or hell I could be a student. So lets say I want to deploy some software to my webserver, or teach the kids good practice by using SCP or SSH to get to a remote server, or I want to update a git branch. I have to complete a MIPS request, for every site I connect to. So you can have ANY<>1 1<>1 1 <> ANY ? ANY<>ANY ? RAV3 being incoming, that I understand How about if they just got a clue. We came from an option 2 on LGFL 1.0 but was told there was no option 2 on LGFL 2.0, I only just found out about option 2 a couple of days ago. So not really any time to get a firewall ordered and installed(although I could have just used my IPCOP install that has been running fine) , let alone find a budget for it. -
LGfL 2.0 Problems
budgester replied to Shaun_Dark_Lord's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Wow this is the first time I'd heard of option 2 on LGFL 2.0 were they hiding it ? Just gone over to LGFL2.0 and it's been a complete nightmare since last wednesday. And not being allowed to request a MIPS for ANY/ANY over port 22/ssh but allowing ANY/ANY over port 21/FTP, is a complete joke and a shambles. They also seem to expect every computer in the organisation to have a staticly assigned IP address, I mean haven't they heard of DHCP. -
[sims] Solus3 Summer Release - Agents not updating if offline
budgester replied to Wayne_K's topic in MIS Systems
TBH, our SOLUS 3 is now on the latest version, and everything works really well, the main issue we had was I had autodeploy ticked and it installed Summer on all most machines overnight, then it got withdrawn, but as soon as Summer was available again everything was good. -
Need a RaspberryPi General section
budgester replied to SimpleSi's topic in Comments and Suggestions
I took delivery of mine on Friday, Got Raspbmc Installed on it, now need another one to actually play with properly. -
What do you use to manage and monitor your windows log files ?
-
Solved with Nice AD 2003 DNS Delegation Gotcha « Paul’s esoteric meanderings
-
No record of it there, only a standard A record in the expected place.
-
Having some weird issues, with DNS, The server the following is run on is a 2008 server. cse2k301(10.72.92.2) is not a DNS server, and is not set in the IP settings on the network card. Where is it getting the incorrect IP address for the DNS server from ? AD, if so where is it set ? C:\Users\Administrator.CSE2K>dcdiag /test:dns Directory Server Diagnosis Performing initial setup: Trying to find home server... Home Server = Term-serv-01 * Identified AD Forest. Done gathering initial info. Doing initial required tests Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\TERM-SERV-01 Starting test: Connectivity ......................... TERM-SERV-01 passed test Connectivity Doing primary tests Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\TERM-SERV-01 Starting test: DNS DNS Tests are running and not hung. Please wait a few minutes... ERROR: NO DNS servers for IPV6 stack was found ......................... TERM-SERV-01 passed test DNS Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones Running partition tests on : Schema Running partition tests on : Configuration Running partition tests on : St-Ignatius Running enterprise tests on : St-Ignatius.local Starting test: DNS Test results for domain controllers: DC: Term-serv-01.St-Ignatius.local Domain: St-Ignatius.local TEST: Basic (Basc) Warning: The AAAA record for this DC was not found TEST: Delegations (Del) Error: DNS server: cse2k301.st-ignatius.local. IP:10.72.92.2 [broken delegated domain _msdcs.St-Ignatius.local.] TEST: Records registration (RReg) Network Adapter [00000007] vmxnet3 Ethernet Adapter: Warning: Missing AAAA record at DNS server 10.72.92.3: Term-serv-01.St-Ignatius.local Warning: Missing AAAA record at DNS server 10.72.92.3: gc._msdcs.St-Ignatius.local Warning: Record Registrations not found in some network adapters Summary of test results for DNS servers used by the above domain controllers: DNS server: 10.72.92.2 (cse2k301.st-ignatius.local.) 1 test failure on this DNS server PTR record query for the 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. failed on the DN S server 10.72.92.2 Summary of DNS test results: Auth Basc Forw Del Dyn RReg Ext _________________________________________________________________ Domain: St-Ignatius.local Term-serv-01 PASS WARN PASS FAIL PASS WARN n/a ......................... St-Ignatius.local failed test DNS
-
No he realised that OS/2 would work better...
-
You've done the obvious and checked the permissions ?
-
LGfL 2.0 Problems
budgester replied to Shaun_Dark_Lord's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Well I've uploaded my mips request, first one was refused, after some backwards and forward support conversations, via the LGFL support site. I uploaded a new MIPS request. I have it in writing here now, that I can have inbound traffic to port 80 and 443 to multiple servers, i.e. email, vle, library etc. I can have IMAP/s and POP3/s ports open for my email server, and they will relay email to my mailserver. As usual it seems to be a case of getting the first line monkeys to actually talk to the people that know how the network is going to work rather than deailing with canned responses. Outbound traffic who knows what they will block, but I gotta assume most outbound traffic will be fine. -
LGfL 2.0 Problems
budgester replied to Shaun_Dark_Lord's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
So are we going to be able to run our own webservers then ? i.e. external access to moodle and our own email system ? -
Thin Client Admin Computers
budgester replied to truebluesteve's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Wait for the RaspberryPi to become generally available then use one of them as a thin client. I mean £40 is gonna blow away any competition out there. -
For the complexities try reading up on Designing a Multi Room Video Distribution System For Your DVR
-
Or maybe something like this.... Amazon.com: Channel Plus 3025 All-in-One Multiroom Video Distribution System with Dual Input Modulator: Electronics But you'd have to run cables and have the right screens.
-
It's not a simple problem at all. And pumping out video over wifi, is going to be bandwidth intensive. How many screens are you thinking about ? Do you want control over the screens or are they just going to screen a video on a rolling loop ? You are going to need something to decode the video on each screen. Do you have the screens already ? I think this is likely to be a fair sized budget eater.
-
It would also depend on your storage requirements, So unless you have literally a ton of money and go SSD completely on your SAN, what speed disks are you you using ,5900, 7200, 10000, 15000 they will all make a difference, a decent SAN solution should allow you to group different Disk speeds into a seperate groups and then allocate these disk groups. SO go for the high speed disk on your SQL stuff, and low speed stuff for things like photos etc. So it really is a case of where do you want the most speed unless you are gonna SSD all the way.
-
I've used Splicecom in the past, excellent kit. How are you installing it, are you going for a central mdoule with expansion modules in cabinets that allow you to use your existing analogue phones on the cat 5 data lines, or are you replacing all handsets with IP handsets ?
-
Which model NetApp do you use and how much storage have you got in your array ?
-
Such as ... SUN, EMC, HP ???? Any other to consider ?
-
Hi, We are running out of disk space seriously quickly and are looking at implementing a SAN, that should have the capability of being used as virtualisation storage in the future. I currently have a 5406zl core switch and was looking at implementing it in the following way. HP 8-port 10GBASE-T v2 zl Module (J9546A) will give me 8 10GBe ports. And a https://secure.dnuk.com/systems/configure/rs3000x.php With 4 10GBe RJ45 Ports Or should I really be looking at SFP+ connections between the storage and the servers. Comments/suggestions please.
-
Print management, any suggestions?
budgester replied to happierlarry's topic in Learning Network Manager
Another vote for Papercut here. Where do you think the main costs are ? Lasers, Inkjets. Certain printers, or certain users ? Do you keep a log of all the cartridges you order ? -
If you want speed, then SSD for the Lamp Stack and store the courses on spinning platters. Mmmmm SSD.
-
Because we know that Vi/m is the one true editor ;-)
