-
Posts
492 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by budgester
-
Ok, here is how I would go about it. New fibre module in the backbone switch. New switch in new location with fibre and enough 1000/100 cat5 ports Connect the servers using cat5/6 patches. Then configure the two switches have a trunk between them composed of the mulitple fibres. Then depending on how you lay the fibre, i.e. 2 * 4pair or 1 * 8 pair for example, go with two seperate cables. If one gets cut you don't lose everything. This should then give you (depenent on the the amount of fibres) a 2/3/4 gig trunk. Regards Budgester
-
This is probably frontpage being pants. Check where the image url are pointing to Frontpage tends to put the url to the local drive where the images are stored instead of the http: url.
-
Damn there are some people here that are getting seriously underpaid and overworked. I am a network manager, I have 2 fulltime techs. 1 four days a week tech, soon to be full time. 1 full time CMIS support. 1200+ students 150+ staff 12+ servers doing all the funky stuff schools do. Phones, cameras etc. However when I started here 4 years ago, it was just me on poo money. However by budget planning and explaining things in non technical terms to SMT. I now have a the above, and we are able to respond to issues very quickly. Having the staff and the resources allows me to align what we do as the IT department with what is required by the curriculum, and we got technology college status last year. Hope this helps someone. Regards Budgester
-
and for those that are going A linux distro at BETT, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BETTShow2007 Inconceivable a couple of years ago.
-
OK I'm jealous. When we had quotes for new network hardware. It was Extreme Cisco Hp We ended up on the budget end with the HP stuff.
-
In my experience the flexible rubber stuff is pretty pants, unless you screw it to the floor. In fact there is solid cable tracking available which we have found to be far more hard wearing.
-
I got me a nice 1440 * 900 19" Asus monitor, and of course the obligatory Kylie calender.
-
Yup and another one that I'm setting up here that may be of use. MythTV.
-
I remember something like this from years ago, basically 3 envelopes. When leaving hand the new person 3 envelopes to be opened 1 at a time if there is an emergency or something drastic has gone wrong, with instructions to follow, only open 1 envelope at each emergency. 1. Blame it on the software 2. Blame it on the hardware 3. Hand your notice in and then get three envelopes ........
-
New feature, how about an Asterisk server, then we can have the VOIP goodness. :-)
-
To be honest I was thinking sun servers, I just wanted to see if there was anyone as sad as me. Mmmmm, Sun kit. Can I have a nice Sun Branded Rack with that as well. Or how about a nice IBM iSeries. To be honest I think I worked in to many insurance companies in the 90's
-
What's happening to us ? I'm looking at replacing our novell based admin network with a karoshi setup as well. Has the time come for karoshi ? What I would really like to do is have a really beefy machine with all the karoshi servers setup as vm's. Been using bytemark for a while for personal web services, and there VM setup is really quite impressive. So what would be my ideal server for this ? Answer on a £10 note.
-
Might just have to use that one in my appraisal.
-
Hi all, I've been asked to look into setting up a PA system around the school, that could be used for a school radio station as well. Of course I would like to do this with an amount of network control as well if possible. So how do you do it ?
-
To VOIP or not to VOIP, that is the question
budgester replied to localzuk's topic in Wireless Networks
If you want a supported Linux VOIP platform with hardware etc. You could try http://www.splicecom.com/ We have it installed here, with around 100 extensions, and they have just added SIP trunk support. If you really want to get flashy check out the PC400's think electronic registration with these puppys. -
IT Technician: Buckinghamshire, Salary TBD
budgester replied to indiegirl's topic in Educational IT Jobs
Yes, lets all do it. We could give the NM a breakdown, and allow Indiegirl to take over. After all, it's a well known fact that "The geeks shall inherit the earth" or something like that. -
1. Which VLE do you use? 2. Why was it chosen? 3. How much did/does it cost? 4. Do you have a dedicated VLE "operative" or do you manage it from within the IT department? 5. Do staff/pupils find it easy to use? 6. How well does it integrate with other software? 7. If you were offerd the chance, would you trade it in for another VLE? 8. Why would you trade it in? 1. Moodle 2. ICT Teacher started using it on his own webspace, then we installed it on a dedicated server, open source, good support. 3. As much or as little as we want to spend on it. 4. IT Department with staff training 5. Linked to our Active directory, so no additional passwords. 6. Doesn't link with our MIS systems yet...... 7. No 8. N/A
-
Save yourself a lot of agro, and get an old PC and install a version of *nix on it.
-
This is surely a short coming of the english language free as in cost, or free as in freedom. Libre or Gratis. Granted there are not many people who want to start hacking on code, but at least you have the option if you want to or you can pay someone to add a feature or fix a bug if your OS is free. I work with both Windows and Linux (have worked with a multitude of other OS's as well in my career) and the main bulk of knowledge that is still relevant is the *nix stuff.
-
The thing I love about linux......... A server with this setup... No Monitor, No Keyboard, No mouse, running sshd with screen. And lets face it cmd.exe is no substitute for bash.
-
Oh a real man eh ? ;P Nah, real men use Linux From Scratch. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
-
This is starting to get a lot of use on OSS sites. http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/
-
As far as I am aware, RM systems do not allow you to use mandatory profiles. Which is a bit pants IMHO.
-
Using wireless PDA's to register on ePortal
budgester replied to tosca925's topic in Educational Software
We did exactly that, and for the same reasons, the only problem we found was then the they wanted a wireless network around the rest of the school. It works well, as long as you have your classes split into gender, the problem we had was that we had two classes doing PE and the timetable had not split them so the female teacher could only register half a class etc, you see where I',m going with this. -
Nothing better than toasted crust, dunked in tea. MmmmmHmm.
