Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jaminben

Members
  • Posts

    640
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jaminben

  1. Thanks for the very detailed reply Your method is virtually the same as what I've been doing.... I will try again tomorrow once I've found the enthusiasm to start over for the fourth time. EDIT: Well I couldn't wait until tomorrow (although I guess it is technically tomorrow now).... I tried again and it worked fine this time. There were two things I did different: 1. Rebooted the server after installing the two updates for WSUS. 2. Looked in the right place for the log files... DOH!!! I was previously looking in D:\Program Files\SMS_CCM\Logs rather than D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs\ and thats the reason I couldn't see the WCM.log or wsyncmgr.log. Out of curiosity do you also install SCCM to your D drive and not the OS drive? Anyway... your reply was a massive help Thanks again.
  2. Hi, I have been trying to setup a SCCM 2012 SUP with WSUS but I don't seem to be able to sync the two together. I've followed the guides on Windows Noob to the letter and the annoying thing is I've already set it up twice successfully in a lab environment. I'm running: Server 2008 R2 SQL Server 2012 SP1 SCCM 2012 SP1 WSUS 3.0 SP2 Windows Noob Guide Every time I try and complete the SUP role I get this alert: Synchronization failure alert for software update point I've also noticed I don't have any WCM.log or wsyncmgr.log. Anyone else come across this or know of another log I can use to track this down? I can't see the wood for the trees anymore Thanks
  3. Just in case anyone else wonders if 16Gb will work in these machines... it does.
  4. @free780 We were also going to run with SQL on the same box. @tmcd35: Thats a thought... I'll take a look at the standalone.
  5. Ok, thats great... I think we'll need to be doing some more thinking before we decide what to do. Windows-Noob is a great site and is what I used to setup our test SCCM which so far appears to be working well. Thanks for taking the time to reply P.S I prefer Hyper-V
  6. I do like the idea of virtualising but its not something we've done before (apart from within our lab enviroment)... we really only have two decent servers atm and their our DC's which we don't fancy messing about. Budget is very tight until the start of the new year (September) and our AV runs out soon which is why we've been looking into SCCM/EPP as we already have the license. How do you find performance with 700 clients (roughly the same as us) and what spec is your VM running SCCM... if you don't mind me asking
  7. We have about 1300 students and just under 800 clients... We either move to SCCM with EPP and all the other benefits it brings or stay with Sophos. I'd prefer to dump Sophos and move to SCCM. Edit: Unless someone can spec me a server for less than £600: HP server configured as below: HP Proliant DL120 G7 E3-1240 RAM: 2 x 8Gb Storage Controller: HP Smart Array P212/256Mb HDDs: 1 x 250Gb 3G SATA 7.2K, 2 x 500Gb 3G SATA 7.2K drives (RAID 1)
  8. Can't afford raid so we're stuck with backup's.
  9. Hi, We're on the verge of implementing SCCM 2012 and have been quite impressed with it in our little lab setup but now we need to purchase a server. Our first quote came in way over what we can afford (no surprise there) so we're wondering if we can just build it on a desktop with the following specs: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 / 3.10GHz 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz 100GB OS Drive 500GB Data Drive It would be dedicated to SCCM and would serve less than 800 clients. It wouldn't have raid but we were thinking of taking regular backup images. Anyone got any thoughts? Good or Bad. Thanks
  10. Ok Gatt, thats great. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions
  11. Ok, and then we would go through the list and manually select all the updates we had previously installed via WSUS.
  12. Thanks Gatt, So what your saying is that we need to remove WSUS from our current DC and dump the database? We'll be installing SCCM on a new 2008 R2 server which will have WSUS installed as a role but wont have any Products & Classifications selected and too let SCCM control/manage the deployment of updates. What we don't get was how to go about making sure all the old updates we had are pre-selected for SCCM to download.... if that makes sense.
  13. Did those of you who use SCCM 2012 exclusively to push out updates transfer your WSUS database into SCCM so it knows what updates have already been applied to clients? Does this feature exist or does SCCM already know what updates have been applied once the client has been installed?
  14. I think it maybe worth a punt to see if it works or not... worst case we can use the 8Gb sticks in two other machines and swap out the 4Gb sticks into other machines so they're on 8Gb as well. Thanks for everyones responses.
  15. Thanks DaveP, I read that but just wanted to make sure just incase someone else had managed to increase > 8Gb... I guess not
  16. Hi, Does anyone know if their would be any reason why we couldn't upgrade our memory from 8Gb to 16Gb in one of our Dell Optiplex 3010 machines... we use it as a VM and need to allocate more memory. They only have two memory slots available so we were going to go for 2x8Gb from Overclockers but have tried Crucial and another site which reported we could only have a maximum of 8Gb. Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (BLT2CP8G3D1608DT2TXRGCEU) (Red & Green Activity LEDs) **WORLD FIRST** [bLT2CP8G3D1608DT2TXRGCEU] Thanks
  17. Just as a FYI you could have also changed the SQL query to match the database column name... From: $badgesql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM birthdays.students WHERE `Date` LIKE '%$myDate%'") To: $badgesql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM birthdays.students WHERE `[b]Date of Birth[/b]` LIKE '%$myDate%'") This may make it easier to work out in the future if you ever come back to it as the DB column name will be what your expecting it to be (i.e a DOB). The reason for the error is that your code is expecting a result of some number of rows but you had an error in the query which the mysql_num_rows() couldn't interpret. You could prevent this with something like: $badgesql = "SELECT * FROM birthdays.students WHERE `[b]Date of Birth[/b]` LIKE '%$myDate%'" if (mysql_query($badgesql)){ echo "This Worked - Continue Code Here"; }else{ echo "This Failed - Exit Code Here: " . mysql_error(); exit(); }
  18. Added a new version which formats the table a bit better (auto) and also allows you to limit the event log search to speed things up.Computer_Last_Logged_User_V1.03.rar
  19. Hi, I've been learning Powershell and have created a script which lists who logged onto a specified computer last..... and thought I'd share it here. Double click to execute, enter your computer name and wait while it gathers the information from the event log. Once done it will display on-screen and also export to a .csv file. Now its pretty easy to see who switched the keys around on that laptop New to Powershell so I take no responsibility for anything which may go wrong. Thanks Ben Computer_Last_Logged_User_V1.02.rar
  20. You could try and use a Powershell script... something like the below. I've only done FirstName, LastName, Email and written it to the console as well so you can see the results on screen (it then exports it to csv). Import-Module activedirectory [string]$OU_Path = "OU=SomeOU,OU=Objects,DC=YourDomain,DC=Com" $myUsers = Get-ADUser -Filter "*" -SearchBase $OU_Path -Properties Mail $myUsers | Foreach-Object { Write-Host $_.GivenName $_.SurName $_.Mail } $myUsers | Select GivenName, SurName, Mail | export-csv output.csv -noType Write-Host "`nPress any key to quit" $x = $host.UI.RawUI.ReadKey("NoEcho,IncludeKeyDown")
  21. As far as I know its not possible to extract a user's password... so if you require that then your stuck before you even begin.
  22. Hi, Anyone got a WinXP driver for a LaserCam A3? I've emailed TechSoft but in a rush so thought I'd post here as well to cover all bases Thanks
  23. Thanks... tutech provided a good explanation from the linked thread I provided.
  24. The only thing that looks odd is: Warning: System Load Average is 4.41 4.69 4.62 Which happened at around the same time some students had a problem. Found this thread about the warning and trying to work out what our figures mean.
  25. We thought the same thing but have been unable to replicate it using our own devices.
×
×
  • Create New...