CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
Most of the decent switches are L3 anyway, and it does make a good deal of sense. Some would even argue that the uplinks should be OSPF VLAN's of their own (ie a vlan of 2). There isn't any point in polluting uplinks with random traffic that doesn't need to be there. I've got 4 links like this and it works pretty well.
-
Professional Journalists maybe (It took him 3 days to work out how to load an APK on the most hackable platform around) - but this device is squarely aimed at geeks. I think it looks really promising for the money.
-
I don't see why they give it 9,7,6,3,3,6 out of 10 then mark it as overall 3.5 whilst saying how hackable it is and how you can use it as a PC etc. Doesn't make any sense.
-
Quite tempted to get one now after reading that. Looks awesome.
-
This works out much cheaper for us than EES over 6yrs because we buy hardware with windows OEM licenses and don't have office on all of the machines. AFAIK EES includes Windows, MSOffice, Windows server and server CALS. Everything else is extra. If you stop paying you need to stop using it.
-
[android tablet] Locking Down Nexus 7
CyberNerd replied to Gongalong's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
I think they sell the software independently from their tablets. -
Opera and Chrome are now moving to Blink Blink - The Chromium Projects
-
and for android, Blackberry, Linux? I don't think MyMaths are going to be around much longer unless they start writing things in a bit more of an accessible format (HTML5) for the type of devices that students own.
-
I've not seen error 3) that you describe - perhaps its something to do with how the network shares are setup? ours are on samba.
-
How we are doing it: Install drive on the staff users machine using msi file. They authenticate to Active Directory and SSO to Google. A subfolder of their homedrive (H: ) is synced to their Google drive. Allowance is 5GB per user (25 for email), but Google documents are unlimited. You can pay for extra space if you need it. When they log in the service starts, when they log out it stops. Clearly this doesn't work en mass for students using different machines. For student 1:1 with ipads it works perfectly though. And it works well for staff too.
-
that's how we do it too. Goggle Drive syncs to homedirectory and vice versa. The homedirectory is then backed up.
-
Two Procurve 4108GLs, ip routing and packet loss
CyberNerd replied to kstak's topic in Wired Networks
my top tips for debugging network loops: on core switch: ping offending device “display arp” to determine mac address “display mac-address xxxxxxxx” to determine port or aggregation group ping offending device when it goes offline “display mac-address xxxxxxxx” to determine port or aggregation group note change of port. repeat on the other switches to determine loop. fix loop or shutdown port -
Watching Star Wars for the first time - What Order?
CyberNerd replied to Zoom7000's topic in General Chat
456123 didn't do me any harm - except for turning me into a geek. I did make my little sister watch them in 123456 order - and told her that it was illegal to not have watched StarWars by the time she was 10yrs old. Apparently she actually believed me for several years and reminded me of the fact a couple of weeks ago! -
Android supports native bluetooth gamepads, so I doubt you'd be tied to the official ones..
-
Yes I agree strongly with this. Internet facing devices (and BYOD) should be in a DMZ vlan.
-
Using a high end CCTV camera as borehole camera
CyberNerd replied to ravirainbow's topic in Group Project
150+ psi -
[News] UEFI and Secure Boot - The Linux users are not happy!
CyberNerd replied to SovietRussia's topic in General Chat
The older HS21's with similar modules do a better job with BIOS. I don't think its faster at all, and if it is its a result of the hardware being faster and not that UEFI is intrinsically faster than BIOS. -
I'm really not sure This looks like the answer to my question. I'm guessing that reproducing a patent drug that isn't on the list would be a civil offence. Thanks for all the comments
-
A question that's been bothering me which I hope my esteemed edugeek colleges can help me with. It isn't IT related but is related to patents. : Suppose that I am proficient in organic chemistry ( ie in this imaginary scenario ). Is it legal to produce over the counter drugs for self use? I recall making asprin at school in the sixth form. Is it ok to make 'over the counter' drugs? and what about prescribed drugs? Suppose I had an ageing aunt who was suffering from a curable disease and that I could synthesise a well known 'cure' that would cost a fraction of the commercial alternatives. is it ok to make it in the kitchen if I didn't sell it??
-
yep. spent hours and hours on it around the 0.7-0.8 release. not looked at it for a few years now. Good game.
-
In The Light Of Google Vs. Sweden [Re: Ungoogleable]...
CyberNerd replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
unsearchable ? -
[News] UEFI and Secure Boot - The Linux users are not happy!
CyberNerd replied to SovietRussia's topic in General Chat
Real question is: Why are MS in charge of the keys? -
linux cli
-
grep lm /proc/cpuinfo
-
[News] UEFI and Secure Boot - The Linux users are not happy!
CyberNerd replied to SovietRussia's topic in General Chat
UEFI faster?? ever tried to boot an HS22 in a hurry?
