CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
It's not close to the 22,000 beta testers they have!
-
It entirely depends on the setup. 1GB is certainly worth it with a smallish network, but when things get bigger you start needing 10Gb links to servers and backbones. 100Mb can still work well. Cutting the bandwidth for the clients means there is more bandwidth for uplinks and servers. Routing at the edge can help here, but again you then need decent managed switches. The OP is also using thin clients. There's pretty much no gain on using 1Gb on thin clients, a better approach would be to have a managed 100mb/s switch and use QoS to prioritise the ica/rdp traffic.
-
why not compromise on 10/100 switches? HP 3600SI (JG305A) is a fully managed switch at less than £700 which will be more than enough for your thin clients. It has four 1Gb/s ports. I use 2 for access points and 2 for uplinks. the spec isn't bad at all HP 3600 SI Switch Series data sheet - US English (Data sheet/4AA3-0722ENW.pdf)
-
This will fix the android/mobile printing problem: PaperCut KB | Google Cloud Print and PaperCut email Support and register your interest!!!
-
A google apps domain is an excellent way to share resources. We've done this with an external site before. You create a single domain and then two subdomains for each school. It is ideal for this sort of thing. I'd be wary of wireless links for a major integration. Instead dig a hole (or get contractors to do it) and lay fibre. You'll save a tonne of cash by sharing a broadband link and dividing the bandwidth between them.
-
Duplicate IP causing loopback-like conditions?
CyberNerd replied to synaesthesia's topic in Wired Networks
VLAN the wireless devices would be a good start IMO. -
HP V1810-48G Ports stop working until reboot
CyberNerd replied to Nick_Parker's topic in Wired Networks
It does sound like it could be an STP misconfig somewhere - I'd be inclined to check the core switches and look for stp abnormalities. No CLI on V1810 so if you do decide to get shot of them I'd advise getting something more manageable. -
Awesome answers. Thanks.
-
Hi all. I'm current struggling with a concept that I hope you could help with. I'm learning about recursion - calling a function from within the same function. I can see that this produces cleaner code vs iteration inside a function but I'm struggling to see the advantage. Presumably recursion uses more memory than iteration as it has to work backwards through values in the stack. It certainly seems more complicated (to me at least) than iteration. So what is the advantage of this method? Is it faster? If so why?
-
This is possible but it's up to the filesystem to handle the various nodes so you'd need to use a clustered filesystem.
-
But none of the A5120's 5500's 4800's A5800's are branded as pro curve. And they are definitely 3com. Confused.
-
The lower end of HP's range is the procurve line which is where the v series sits . The H3C/3com stuff is in their midrange and is the A series.
-
Your VLE?
-
I've got to disagree with the principal of "get what you can afford". For everything else; software, PC's etc I'd be inclined to agree. I see network products as the lifeblood of an ICT infrastructure and as such the rule should be "get what you need".Network issues cause a huge loss of productivity for all users, more so than a single server failure . It wastes our time debugging them and causes misery all over. Ultimately you need to match the feature set of your expected network requirements with that of the switch - not that of your budget. If your budget doesn't include what you need then just don't put a network in until it does. I don't have an issue at all with using low end procurves, netgear or even dlink on a small network with limited requirements but as soon as you start adding a several hundred network devices things change. Multiple VLANs, OSPF routes, LACP links, QOS telephones, IP cameras, door systems etc will affect things dramatically. The benefits of a decent operating system (read: comware, CiscoIOS) come into their own when it comes to debugging and setting up a manageable network.
-
Network issues with network over last week.
CyberNerd replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Dan.I hate to say this but you are really jumping all over the place. You should read up on the OSI model OSI model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and apply it to your problem. First rule out cabling and hardware issues like you have done, Then look at potential layer 2 issues that could result from STP problems etc. Then layer 3 routing problems. When you've got to the top of the OSI model and nothing has fixed it - then start looking at layer 7 (DNS) problems. -
Network issues with network over last week.
CyberNerd replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
and the ARP table on the switch says? -
I think I'd go for web printing in this situation (in papercut at least). PaperCut KB | Google Cloud Print and PaperCut
-
Network issues with network over last week.
CyberNerd replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Great idea but you might want to fix the problems first. -
I don't think Papercut have any planned integration for google cloud print. I didn't answer immediately because I don't really understand the question. Can you print google docs into papercut? - yes.
-
yes you definitely want a stackable switch for 100 connections. @sonofsanta is spot on with the A5120 recommendation
-
Network issues with network over last week.
CyberNerd replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
log into the switch that is connected to the server. from the switch, ping the server's IP address. Note the mac address of the server using ARP. When the server drops ping, does the mac address change? -
I think its a beta for mint
-
@CAM untick "detect refresh rate" and the setting is persistent between reboots (for me at least) Seems to have fixed the problem for me as well. Occasionally a reboot fails to launch the gdm/login screen though. buggy piece of crap IMO.
