Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. Intel graphics on mine. I'll give it a try and if it works will try and find how to get the setting to stick. Thanks
  2. I installed it on the laptop and am having the same compiz performance problems. Previously running Centos with no probs on the same machine (no compiz here). What was the "fix" to refresh compiz manually?
  3. Plenty of options here: dual boot, vdi etc. Best to build your environment around the most suitable applications rather than dismissing them because your running something else.
  4. Ubuntu Studio is still going strong: Tour: Audio « Ubuntu Studio
  5. I agree - but their other income streams seem to be equally stupid. I called Canonical for a quote for a centrally managed desktop suite. No kidding they wanted £50 per device per year - that was their education pricing! This is essentially for the canonical version of Spacewalk. Go figure.
  6. I find that having multiple browsers installed on our system is actually a help rather than hindrance as long as they are managed properly. Having problems viewing a site? - just try Chrome (or different browser). Seems to cure 90% of internet related issues without me lifting a finger.
  7. IE is such a dogs breakfast for compatibility we just use it for anything that chrome or FF can't handle.
  8. Allowing it? It's our entire schools document system!
  9. Google Chrome Blog: A speedy, more secure way to view Microsoft Office files directly in Chrome
      • 1
      • Thanks
  10. That tiled "no-desktop" look was introduced on the EEPC in 2007, a couple of years before win7 was released. I recall that ASUS had a lot of people return the eepc because people didn't like the look of the interface without a desktop.
  11. Almost all the boardworks software now comes as platform independent. Upload to VLE, extract and then just provide a link to the clients. It's a lot easier than a windows install, runs on OSX, Linux etc and is accessible to staff and students from home.
  12. 48. I should mention that our servers have 10GBE backbone.
  13. We use macs and allow them to edit locally and save the final product on the network. Don't have any problems with this at all. If you want to replicate how 'industry' does it then you'll need to get a big unix rendering farm with FC connections to each desktop.
  14. I would second the use of A5120's in this scenario especially for VOIP where you will need QoS. If it is out of budget a 3600EI might cut it but I wouldn't go for anything less.
  15. I have had the same problem in 2.4 After checking the sever load I recall that I needed to increase the maximum time that a script can run in the php.ini. After this it still bombed out but the SCORM file did decompress successfully.
  16. We run IBM DS3400 with a DS3000 expansion. It's due to be replaced this year and I'm looking at IBM DS3524 as a replacement along with other options.
  17. Ricoh, Konica Minota, Kyocera, Sharp all deal direct to schools and most will use a Govt framework. They all support Papercut embedded.
  18. The maintenance kits for these also includes a roller set and pickup rollers as well as fuser unit. It's worth doing on something like a 4250 or 4014 series but I wouldn't bother on a lesser printer.
  19. We have 1100 devices on 40mb without problems. Not all using at once but Google apps isn't very high bandwidth as your working in the cloud rather than copying files to it.
  20. CyberNerd

    Swiches

    I like the Cisco ASA GUI. I'm also a lesbian trapped in a mans body.
  21. CyberNerd

    Swiches

    My understanding is that they are procurved based but HP added some sort of interface layer so that the 'speak' comware - so that their newer products are integrated with the 3com/H3C range and that they will drop the older procurve software like the 5406's. I've not had much dealing with procurve stuff as I've come from the H3C/3Com line so happy to be proven wrong.
  22. CyberNerd

    Swiches

    I completely disagree about the comware CLI (> version5). It's one of the best network operating systems around and a rival to Cisco IOS in my opinion. I'm sure comware was the reason for the 3com acquisition by HP. I understand that HP are trying to put some sort of interface layer on the procurves to make them more compatible with the H3C/3Coms, which is probably where its going wrong wrt the correlation with 5406's.
  23. CyberNerd

    Swiches

    The V1910 is from the procurve range rather than the H3C/3com range. I'm also upgrading some of our 3com 10/100's but decided to go for a few 5120 EI's after looking at their stacking, QoS and L3 capabilities.
  24. Good point. We mostly have the machines bolted to the back of monitors to save space.
  25. Laminated 600mm kitchen worktops are good for this if its going around the outside of the classroom.
×
×
  • Create New...