-
Posts
787 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by siuko
-
Have you any details as to exactly where you signed up for this and where you downloaded the updates from please?
-
And badge!!! He really needs an Edugeek forehead tattoo now tbh!
-
How is your Sims server spec'd? Are you running anything else on the same server? Our server has been struggling with the SQLServer using up all the ram and not having enough to keep the InTouch services working (well this was the reason our support gave) So I have limited the Max memory that the SQL server can use to see if that helps... Possibly something to look at?
-
The only thing I've found that worked for me (if I understand your request right) is LanTopolog Automatic physical network topology discovery Runs fine here on Windows 7 64 Bit
-
Prize-a-day-May! Win merch, tablets and a PC with VeryPC
siuko replied to VeryPC's topic in Our Advertisers
Woooooooooot!! Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebies!!! Waves @VeryPC -
Creating Shortcuts for 32 and 64 bit computers
siuko replied to witch's topic in How do you do....it?
Sort of Once you have put in all the info to create it - you then need to go to the common tab and tick item level targeting - then click the targeting tab - click new item - file match - then put in which exe or other file you want it to watch for. These files will be different depend on if you are running 32bit or 64bit The downside to these types of links - is you will also need to add a corresponding delete which checks if the file doesnt exist and deletes if it isnt there - that cleans up your start bar -
Creating Shortcuts for 32 and 64 bit computers
siuko replied to witch's topic in How do you do....it?
We do our shortcuts using GPP It is extremely flexible and will only add shortcuts to programs that are actually on the computer / mapped drive etc - which makes the start bars tidier than having shortcuts to something not accessible. The only big downside is the amount of shortcuts you need to create!! Can take some time to setup but once it is done it works very nicely. -
All I can say is... I cant believe my stats now!! Crazy Started off in Vanilla D3 on my wizard with about 140k Damage and about 70k Health Now I am 70 (and I have only replaced about 7 pieces of my gear with level 70 stuff) - I am already running at 330k Damage and 280k Health lol!! Crazyness BUT SOOOO MUCH MORE FUN!
-
Bought the digital pre order so played it last night - rather fun!! Completed Act 5 on my wizard and got it to 68. The XP gain is very nice. And adventure mode is lots of fun - be ready for rifts to take a while lol Also got a crusader to 28 - seems quite a fun class to play. Think since the 2.0.1 patch things have been much better for the game and the expansion just added to that!
-
If I understand you right... I think Lantopolog should work
-
Going with Firefly VLE - anyone use it? Onsite or Hosted?
siuko replied to siuko's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Firefly does not do AD Integration with the hosted version. You can pay for the Cloud services option for firefly that allows you to authenticate with Office 365 or Google Apps - which means we can use our google apps username and password - I have also been told that if you are already logged into google apps it will then not require login to firefly - sort of like a google apps sso for firefly I guess. -
Going with Firefly VLE - anyone use it? Onsite or Hosted?
siuko replied to siuko's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Thank you everyone for the replies! The points about having to license SQL etc are especially helpful. I was wondering why the pricing was the same for onsite and hosted - but silly me its obviously because I have to supply the server lol! Which adds a fair bit to the price. As to the question of why Firefly instead of moodle - honestly... moodle is a clunky system that needs a fair amount of work, and in the case of sims integration, expensive addons to get it anywhere near that of VLE's like firefly. We need a system the is easily fully integrated with our systems and provides the functionality without having to wrestle with addons that might not work 100%. The usability and ease of creation of work / homework etc on firefly is much nicer than on moodle - and if we want teacher take up of the VLE we need it to be VERY easy for them! With VLE's I think you can choose to either pay for a VLE that is made for ease of use (such as firefly) or pay for the staff that can provide the knowledge to make moodle easy to use. Either way you still have to pay in money or time. At the moment I am thinking of going hosted becuase 1) The VLE is a step towards 1:1 tablets in the future - so AD SSO will not be required for the tablets (probably android) - we already have google apps accounts for students - so they can use these to logon. 2) The cost of a new server, os license, sql license etc 3) Firefly will do all the server maintenance, backups and updates - which it would be nice not to worry about. Even with all these points do people think hosted onsite would be better? -
Our school has decided to go with the Firefly VLE for our new vle (moving away from moodle) Does anyone use Firefly already? We are just trying to decide whether to go with Hosted or Onsite and wondering how much of a difference it makes? I understand that onsite allows you to use AD integration which is a positive. The positive for hosted is the fact that they will do all the VLE maintenance and backups! My main thought about hosted versus onsite is if onsite will be faster / more responsive to use when most of our usage will be onsite. Thanks
-
[sims] Move to SQL 2012 - help with higher performance server spec
siuko posted a topic in MIS Systems
Due to the requirement to upgrade to SQL2012 for Sims I am also looking at purchasing a new server to run sims on (our old one is 4 yrs old now). Our current Sims Server Windows 2008 R2 Dell Poweredge T310 1 x Intel Xeon X3460 2.80GHz (4Core/8Thread) 12Gb Ram 136GB 15k SAS Raid1 OS Drive 136GB 15k SAS Raid1 Sims Folder, SQL Install and Docstorage Drive Sims.mdf 5.86GB Concurrent users - upto about 100+ (70-80 teachers doing registers etc, 20+ office staff running reports, inputing data etc) The CPU usage on the sqlservr.exe can fluctuate but is often around 50-80% for most of the day. It can also max out when running complex reports, deleting students etc. I will be looking to spec a dell server (our dell servers have always been reliable but if anyone can recommend any others please do) as a new replacement but have a few questions if anyone has any input. 1) Which OS should I go with? Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2012? 2) I have read on Edugeek where people recommend having the sims.mdf and tempdb.mdf on seperate hard drives. Would this make a big difference? (Our current tempdb.mdf is only 172mb?) 3) If I am to seperate all the data how should this be done? For Example 2 Disk Raid1 OS Drive, 3 Disk or 4 Disk Raid5 or Raid10 drive for sims.mdf, 3 Disk or 4 Disk Raid5 or Raid10 drive for tempdb.mdf. Where then would the docstorage go? And what size server will fit that many drives in! 4) Is it sensible to go with 2 x CPUs? If so would you only purchase Full SQL 2012 for one CPU or both? (Cost will go up) 5) How much ram? (Our present one seems to just eat all available ram) 6) Recommended number of network connections (will 1 x 1Gb be enough - or does more help?) Anyone have anything else they think might be relevant - my main aim is to build a server that has much better performance than the one we have presently and doesnt crawl when we have everyone registering and doing reports. Also I can understand that it might be suggested to virtualise the server (but due to us moving into a new school in sept 2014, moving to 1:1 tablets for sept 2014 and a new VLE I dont think I will have time to add in learning about virtualisation) Thanks in advance -
MADvent 2013 - 25 days of prizes and free sweets for all entrants!
siuko replied to VeryPC's topic in Our Advertisers
Wooooooooooooooooot!!! MUG HAS LANDED!!! Thank you -
[sims] SIMS gradually getting slower and slower...
siuko replied to Olliesaurus's topic in MIS Systems
I am wondering if we could get an Ok you can do this from @PhilNeal ? The script does sound like it would be helpful - but I really don't want to be doing anything with the sims database without capita oking it first.... (yes I'm a chicken... buck buck) -
The thing I have never understood about all these magical technologies that will enhance/transform (add any buzz words here) teaching in schools is why leave every separate school to organize and plan there own roll out. You end up with 100s of schools all doing different things, purchasing different tablets, using it in different ways etc - which all costs HUGE amounts of money - and is often badly planned at the majority of the schools. If this new technology (tablets this time around - and was netbooks, interactive whiteboards etc before) truly is so completely game changing when it comes to teaching - why doesn't the government roll out the technology to 2-3 pilot schools. Learn the issues, fix all the problems, build teaching plans, curriculum and even whole school plans BASED on the technology. Then and only then pass all this information onto schools so they can progress with their own projects knowing the money will be well spent and will actually help teaching! It all just seems to be the tail wagging the dog.
-
The only thing I can think is that it is a staged upload depending on LEA. After the first day it should calm down and allow most people - but the first day people are allowed on in groups.
-
Delprof2 should work great for this!
-
VNCON HERE might be what you are looking for Lets you scan a whole domain and it shows you which have vnc running You can set default connection password too...
-
Sorry for the necro.... But THAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOU @sparkeh This works great and has stopped my random shortcuts working / not working!! Taaaa
-
Transparent Proxy for Kindles - Can smoothwall do it?
siuko replied to siuko's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It was for some Kindle 4's... (about 200!) And I gave up trying as they wanted it doing quickly.... lol I just ordered a separate unfiltered broadband line so the kindles can use that. (Parental locking the kindles so they cannot browse unfiltered internet) -
MADvent 2013 - 25 days of prizes and free sweets for all entrants!
siuko replied to VeryPC's topic in Our Advertisers
W0000000000000000000000000000T!!!! Thanks! And thank you for remembering that I'm a cabbage.... err Vegetarian -
MADvent 2013 - 25 days of prizes and free sweets for all entrants!
siuko replied to VeryPC's topic in Our Advertisers
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! Does the lovelyjubbleyness of VeryPC ever stop!!! Will there be videooooooooooooos? (Edit.... oooOOOO a video just arrived)
