Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

superfletch

Members
  • Posts

    500
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by superfletch

  1. Hi Mandz, Not sure if I can help specifically here, but I think this thread was aimed at getting a data collection form (paper form - not a web based form) out of SIMS to go back to parents/carers to check that the data school holds about pupils / contact details etc etc is correct. I'm not sure that this was then getting imported back into the SIMS database by any means other than manual entry - (although I stand to be corrected). Essentially after the parent/carer returns the form - any bits that were crossed out / changed / ammended get updated in SIMS by some unfortunate office worker on a mammoth data entry job. So I guess my point is... Can you explain the process you're after a little more? Would getting forms out to parents and a manual entry back at school be OK (in which case - @vikpaw's answer is awesome), or are you looking for something more high tech (in which case - good luck!!)? RE - #709 - Suspect you'll find this under the file sharing part of Capita Supportnet listed as a report definition. Cheers, Matt PS - welcome to Edugeek.
  2. Yeah - you have to tick both boxes (Server and Workstation install) tell it which instance to use (which you'll have installed with SIMSInst.exe already) then supply the Database from your backup during the install wizard.
  3. Look for the one called FMSInst.exe
  4. BBC News - Apple Shop muddle prompts new name for Wroxham Barns store Classic "Apple" related amusement
  5. If you uninstall the existing agents from client PC's then yes - fresh install of S3. You'll lose your history of previously applied updates and your first real SIMS / FMS / Discover upgrades via SOLUS 3 will take longer as it will want to make sure all previous updates have been applied. Personally I've had a few painful SOLUS 3 moves and I don't feel the process is that well documented from Capita (yet) ...hint hint @PhilNeal I have to stress this is my personal experience and may not reflect what others have experienced to date... ...I know others have had less pain than me moving it so maybe I'm doing something a little wrong @Rawns posted a good answer on a previous thread a couple of days ago: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-systems/108716-moving-sims-new-server.html
  6. 1) Check all the firewall settings on the client (a quick and useful check is to see if you can see the machine via "net view" on the server). 2) Yes - but it will only scan the domain environment properly, for workstations not on the domain a manual install as described by @Rawns is the recommended way to do it. Firewall settings: netsh firewall set notifications DISABLE netsh firewall set service type = FILEANDPRINT mode = ENABLE netsh firewall set portopening protocol = TCP port = 52965 name = SOLUS-3-DS netsh firewall set portopening protocol = TCP port = 52966 name = SOLUS-3-AGENT netsh firewall set portopening protocol = TCP port = 8739 name = SOLUS-3-AGENT-UI netsh firewall set service type = REMOTEADMIN mode = ENABLE netsh firewall set portopening protocol = TCP port = 137 name = NetBIOS netsh firewall set portopening protocol = UDP port = 138 name = NetBIOS_1 netsh firewall set portopening protocol = UDP port = 139 name = NetBIOS_2
  7. @Rawns Having also done this - how have you found moving SOLUS 3?? I've had some schools where it's worked a treat and others where it is a massive PITA. Capita's document for it is poor at best. What do you do?
  8. +1 K2S offers CSV and CTF versions of the ULN's for your school to import.
  9. @Rawns is right. Use the SOLUS 3 Server console to export the agent installer to a shared folder which the users/local admin can access. Run the installer with elevated priveleges Head back to the SOLUS 3 console and update environment adding the machines from "Browse Agents" into the correct Channels (SIMS / FMS / Discover) IME - Putting them on the domain if at all possible will be much more reliable overall.
  10. echo this - use the Capita doc as your main reference - any testing you can do is a bonus... Also are you using SOLUS 2 or 3 (it makes a big difference). If SOLUS 2 then have a look here for a very brief outline: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-systems/49694-changing-sims-server.html#post459114
  11. Probably available at a lower price from the LA?
  12. No - As stated - I've now done it differently, but I'd just be interested... ...for the future.
  13. Just realised how old this thread is - sorry...
  14. All good answers so far. For my 2p worth. Open the elevated command prompt from your server (however you like) - you need only open it once and type the password once. Then use PSExec as @MordyT described to copy the file from the remote location to the target PC's. I'm presuming the elevated command prompt uses credentials which will authenticate against the target PC's (locally or at domain level) and have access over the directory which needs to receive the extra file. The PC's can be listed in a single text file (where @MordyT wrote @%lablist%). If you get the command right PSExec can copy the file from the network location to the local disk and loop through the text file to work on each of the target machines.
  15. I wanted it to work through Subdirectories as well as the one set.
  16. For anyone who looked at this - I used something different in the end (forfiles.exe) from the Win Resource Kit. If anyone does know how to do this in VB - I'd still be interested...
  17. Hi, I have a pretty standard bit of VB script that I want to modify, but I don't know how to go about making the change I require. The script deletes all files within a specified directory over a certain age, given in days. (In the example its: C:\MyTestDir and 2 days). It's fine and works really well. What I'd like it to do now is delete all files over the specified age in all subfolders of the directory that is given as well as the specified directory itself. I've tried with adding a trailing \ and with adding \* but these don't work. Any VB Genius out there who can help me? TIA Matt ' This file will find and delete every file in the specified directory'' that is older that the specified amount of days. ' '******************************************************************' ' Change the vairables below to change the destination directory and ' the amount of days old the file must be to get deleted. Dim strFolder strFolder = "C:\MyTestDir" Dim intDays intdays = 2 '' DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BELOW THIS LINE ''' Dim objFileSystem, objDirectory, objFiles, objFile, objTextStream set objFileSystem = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") set objTextStream = objFileSystem.OpenTextFile("dellog.log",8,True) objTextStream.WriteBlankLines 2 objTextStream.WriteLine "***************" & vbcrlf & "Program started " & Time() & " on " & date() & vbcrlf set objDirectory = objFileSystem.GetFolder(strFolder) Set objFiles = objDirectory.Files objTextStream.WriteLine "The following files were deleted." & vbcrlf For Each objFile in objFiles If objFile.DateLastModified < (Date() - intDays) then objTextStream.WriteLine objFile.name & vbtab & vbtab & vbtab & "created on: " & objFile.DateCreated objFile.Delete true End if Next objTextStream.WriteLine vbcrlf & "Program ended " & Time() & " on " & date() & vbcrlf & "***************" objTextStream.close
  18. OK - so I get up this morning and have a quick shower, breakfast and head out to work. That's when I notice my front fence has blown down - completely. Given that I reckon it's going to be a pretty tough one to repair to a decent standard (I'm not handy enough to do it myself as it has properly snapped two posts right down at the base where the fence meets the ground). Is this something that you can usually use the house insurance to claim for? I need to check the details of the policy and excess to be sure, but I'd have thought it would be covered. Anyone else affected in any adverse (or positive) way by the high winds? Ciao
  19. A bit out of date?? I'd guess it's having a problem picking up the teacher (main supervisor) of the classes, but other than that not sure.
  20. Too late - See Capita resource number 17910 You were right by the way...
  21. Take a look for a product key when you get into school on Monday?? What about a Linux Distro?
  22. Haven't seen this happen due to SOLUS 3 in any of the schools we have it in (County wide) so I'd be looking at another application as the culprit (or a conflict between S3 and another application).
  23. The ESS tool is wicked for this problem, so straightforward and easy to use. I have to say S3 is getting way better with each update - we have it across almost all schools now and IMHO upgrades are (on the whole) a much less painful experience. The main snag I'm finding is when something database related does go wrong it's harder to troubleshoot simply because the software is new and you don't know the error messages. With SOLUS 2 we'd had years of practice troubleshooting it and when something went wrong you just knew what it was straight away. It's getting better Capita.
  24. Seriously though which are you using, SOLUS 2 or 3? It makes a difference to the answer.
×
×
  • Create New...