Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. I deliberately disable the built-in OneDrive client via GPO, as the cache location needs to be a physical volume and not a mapped location. As above, the OneDrive for Business client has been discontinued, as you can use the same OneDrive application for both personal and work based accounts (if you left it enabled). I'm sure the 1709 version works great (I never got round to testing it), but it also means you have to battle all the other bloat along with it. No doubt the next LTSC version of Windows 10, due in 2019 will address this. I know Microsoft's argument is that the new features are too integrated with the likes of Explorer, but it just makes a mockery of giving everyone 1TB of space; you can only use it if you're using 'this version of Windows' with 'this version of OneDrive', it's where Microsoft are going completely wrong.
  2. Michael

    office 2016 on macs

    Are all your Macs running the same flavour of Mac OS?
  3. I believe so, but you wouldn't get all the 'features'. It's going to cause mass confusion long-term, as you can only get the full functionality on 1709, but the OneDrive build number will read the same regardless of version of Windows 10.
  4. It would make more sense, Windows Server 1709, but then technically it should be called Windows Server 2017. I'm sure they'll make their mind up at some point.
  5. Please let us know if you discover anything 'interesting', I guess it'll give us a taste of what to expect with the LTSC 19 version. Whether or not it'll be called Windows Server 2016 R2 or Windows Server 2019, I guess we'll find out!
  6. I'd still only suggest installing it you need/want the features it offers. If you want long-term support, then of course the LTSB/C 1607 version would make more sense. If you're configuring a Hyper-V host, then I would suggest LTSB 1607 and only virtual/separate physical instances of 1709.
  7. In answer to the original question, it really depends on the circumstances and what they're being used for. In 'most' situations however, 1Gb to the desktop or AP is preferable and it also means you're using your cable infrastructure to the max (most likely CAT5/CAT5e, possibly CAT6). From a raw numbers perspective, all modern devices are more than capable of 11MB/s, offered by a 100Mb Ethernet connection, so implementing a 1Gb to the desktop model, you'll always be pushing the machine to its max in terms of raw bandwidth, instead of the switch itself being throttled by the slower connectivity. Newer workstations (on average), will use anywhere between 300Mb/s > 600Mb/s, so well beyond a 100Mb/s offering, but using 30-60% of 1Gb/s pipe. If the switches were to become problematic (which they do), or of course slow, then the obvious solution is to replace the switch offering gigabit to the desktop and possibly other features such as PoE/PoE+, given you're implementing AC AP's, I can only speculate you're using injectors or mains connected which is far from ideal. Other observations with older switches (with fibre uplinks), is that they're typically using media converters, whereas an GBIC or SFP module is far more preferable, so I have no doubt there are definitely improvements that could be made.
  8. I do have to agree, this is most likely driver related rather than a splitter or physical problem.
  9. The only issue with not using roaming profiles, is the likes of users who hot-desk and who use cookies to save passwords, or custom printer settings (rather than a centrally managed solution, with no driver configuration). For this you do need roaming profiles.
  10. If it is the October patch, then of course there's the November patch (however there are three). I'm currently running the November patch, but if I was you, I'd probably will until the December patch (a week Tuesday), depending on how many machines have this issue.
  11. A good description here, not seen it myself though.
  12. As mentioned in previous discussions, I now deploy LTSB (1607) and these kind of issues simply do not exist. The only issue I've had to write a workaround for was picture associations working with Windows Photo Viewer; everything else works as expected. I also deploy a file associations file for Acrobat Reader DC, Internet Explorer and (as above) for the most common picture file formats and all works as expected without the bloat. It's good practice anyway to deploy this type of file regardless of Windows 10 flavour.
  13. It's a sad day, but there are alternatives and of course Microsoft have fixed 'some' issues with the Start Menu in latter versions of Windows 10.
  14. I agree, but only a handful of organisations do not recognise the fact there are literally thousands of domain extensions these days.
  15. It's not ideal, but in the short term, registering your .sch.uk and creating a forwarder to your .academy is a workaround. I've had to do this a handful of times, as I also use .academy.
  16. All I have changed (I forgot to mention) is, navigate to: IIS Manager > Application Pools > WsusPool > Advanced Settings... > Private Memory Limit (KB) = 40000002. Restart Application Pool and this should stop the crashing. Everything else is left as default.
  17. I have several WSUS instances, running on a 2016 Hyper-V, both set with 4GB of memory and running the Nov 2017 patch. On the parent WSUS, the IIS Worker Process is using about 1700MB of memory and the child WSUS is using about 100MB, all working as expected.
  18. Appointing someone as a DPO makes sense, just as you'd appoint someone for finance, but GDPR regardless is a shared responsibility.
  19. Do you know which flavours of Windows 10? LTSB could be 2015 or 2016 and Education could be 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703 or 1709. I know you've tried GPP, but have you tried the Fully Qualified Domain Name in the path, rather than NETBIOS? I've had printers deploy 'better' specifying the full path \\server.domain.com\printer share name, rather than just \\server\printer share name It's one and the same, but that's Windows for you!
  20. Several things come to mind - - What's the make/model of printer and are the drivers signed? - I presume all your clients are 64Bit? - And thirdly (through trial and error myself), have you tried deploying the FQDN with GPP printers?
  21. I have several Hyper-V 2016 hosts and Hyper-V guests running fine, why not just run this?
  22. They're all valid points (A,B,C), but arguably using any supported version of Windows 10 would also be considered inspirational, given that on the surface, all flavours look very, very similar. Quite rightly, that's why @garethedmondson is doing some investigative work to establish the feedback from others and to think about moving from Windows 7 Enterprise. Running the latest and greatest of anything does have its risks, but upgrading for just the likes of Paint3D isn't justifiable. There has to be more compelling reasons (rather than reason).
  23. Harsh maybe, but it's all down to opinion and circumstantial so it's absolutely fine! I'll ask the question direct - what is the Educational benefit of going from 1507 > 1511 > 1607 > 1703 and 1709; other than the obvious 'security updates' most of the Apps are absolute trash when it comes to Education. I'm referring to the actual Teaching and Learning and being able to fulfil lesson objectives more effectively.
  24. It's a really good question and to be perfectly honest, I did deploy Windows 10 Edu in the early days, but these days more so LTSB 16 (based on 1607). LTSB is supported for 10 years and only receives Quality updates; machines are definitely faster without Apps. Each Windows 10 release has more and more bloatware that needs tackling and no real benefits day to day in the classroom, where most schools are still using legacy applications, web applications/subscriptions or of course the likes of iPads, so the desire to start subscribing to another App platform is questionable based on need. I'm also of the opinion the whole 'App' model for Windows is losing its significance, given that Windows Phone has now been abandoned. It was Microsoft's vision to have Apps across different platforms (makes a lot of sense), but the reality is completely different. The App world is very much dominated by Apple and Google, leaving Microsoft for dust and a lot of schools I visit are happy with the App model for iPads. I'm sure others on here will disagree with me (and maybe some agree), but when you're managing over 1000 devices over multiple sites, it's extremely difficult to keep up with Microsoft's update model. Feature updates are too frequent (essentially major OS upgrades), but if you think about the true Educational benefit, there really isn't any.
  25. Just to contribute further to this; if you're using LTSB, you can set - Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations, to 'Not Configured' as of course LTSB will only receive Quality updates. For other versions, using the following reg hack works - Enable - Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] "DoNotConnectToWindowsUpdateInternetLocations"=dword:00000000 Disable - Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate] "DoNotConnectToWindowsUpdateInternetLocations"=dword:00000001 You can also (where appropriate), import driver updates via the Microsoft Update Catalog into WSUS, then approve them as normal.
×
×
  • Create New...