-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
Say a school subscribes to a third party service, then this information is exported to them via Groupcall/Wonde for example. Would I be right in saying everyone who has voted Yes are all Secondary schools?
-
Thanks for the feedback. What about it being used to export to third parties?
-
Afternoon all, Regardless of MIS used, do your pupil records include their school email address? This is separate to parent/carer contact details!
-
It's the final, final final, final final final countdown - then I'll be retired
-
This has long been my plan, even before Windows 11 was announced. Windows 12 will be out by then
-
Latest Windows update breaks deployed printers GPO
Michael replied to Sonic007's topic in Windows 10
Glad it worked My instinct would be as you've described - printers not deploying due to the missing/required registry entry. As I say, I'm yet to hear anyone being compromised as they've got to guess the printer FQDN which could be anything. -
Thanks for this, it's a good workaround! - - - Updated - - - I've looked at multiple tenancies and all appear the same. It does look like Microsoft have removed it (for whatever the reason)!
-
Strangest Issue I have got stuck on.....
Michael replied to QwertyMash's topic in Windows Server 2019
So if I've got this right - BT Router, connecting into a Cisco switch which has been VLAN'ed per floor or company (which is fairly typical). Your local company has a DC which is also acting as DNS/DHCP roles presumably? I'd suggest setting DNS forwarders to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are Google DNS and are very reliable, unless there's a reason not to? I'm not too concerned your cannot connect to the Hyper-V host, as clients are only connecting to your DC guest for authentication and possibly DNS/DHCP/File/Print (as a guess). I'm again presuming the Hyper-V host is literally just that and no other roles, which would be the correct method? A few questions though - Is the Hyper-V host standalone or domain joined? How does the IP config on the Hyper-V host compared to the Guest DC? And if you look at Task Scheduler on the Hyper-V host, is there anything in here? -
Hyper-V Server runs like treacle, no RDP or IPV6 settings
Michael replied to Warwick_Tech's topic in Windows Server 2019
So is this part of a larger Hyper-V cluster? It sounds that way. -
Hyper-V Server runs like treacle, no RDP or IPV6 settings
Michael replied to Warwick_Tech's topic in Windows Server 2019
iLO and iDRAC are the same thing, just different manufacturers. I personally favour HP's iLO between the two. It does sound something software related if you're running sfc /scannow, presumably on the Hyper-V host? -
Hyper-V Server runs like treacle, no RDP or IPV6 settings
Michael replied to Warwick_Tech's topic in Windows Server 2019
Have you looked at iLO or iDRAC, depending if it's a HP or Dell server? What's the uptime? A reboot may clear the issue, as it sounds software related. -
I really wouldn't - I'd probably say at the absolute most, a small Primary would use far less than 10% of a 10Gbps connection in 2021. In years to come, 10Gbps won't sound so ridiculous anymore, we'll all be talking about 100Gbps
-
You can get a Sophos FleXi Port module which supports 2 x SFP+ like this: But as you say, realistically your internal infrastructure would need 10Gbps backbone at the very least, unless you literally have thousands and thousands of users. I can imagine a University using a 10Gbps connection these days.
-
Morning all, This is the most least urgent question of the day When clicking on the smiley face when composing a message, it's labelled 'Insert emojis and GIFs', yet the functionality to insert a GIF is missing. I can still download and insert a GIF picture file manually. Has Microsoft removed it? I hadn't noticed as I rarely insert GIFs myself!
-
Yes, no problems.
-
Latest Windows update breaks deployed printers GPO
Michael replied to Sonic007's topic in Windows 10
For those of you still experiencing issues after following my guidance notes, I'd highly recommend downloading the latest drivers. - Point and Print needs still remain enabled (User and Computer) - FQDN print servers specified in GPO - Regedit must be applied (check on a few clients it's applying) - Drivers in x64 environments must be WHQL - In Print Management > Server > Drivers, make sure they're 'Packaged' - In Print Management > More Actions > View > Add/Remove Columns, select 'Type' and click OK. It should read Type 3. If all the above is correct, then I absolutely see no reason why it's not working. If drivers are not deploying even in a domain admin context, then it'll most likely be something else - for example is DNS correct, can you ping the print server, printers on their own VLAN to workstations. I can't think of anything else? -
I just have visions of it being plugged into a localised 10/100 switch In all seriousness, it's great the school got such a fast service for free! Be interesting to know what they were on prior?
-
Latest Windows update breaks deployed printers GPO
Michael replied to Sonic007's topic in Windows 10
This is the only workable solution in a domain environment, unless you're using scripts or a third party tool... it just complicates matters further. Specifying trusted server(s) is greatly going to reduce the surface area of attack, as anything coming from outside would need to match the FQDN. I'm yet to hear of anyone online being compromised in this way despite it not being recommended by Microsoft. I'm curious whether early Windows 11 adopters are having to apply the same fix, or whether Microsoft have properly fixed this? If the issue's still there, then I'd say we're a long way off having a proper resolution to this problem. -
These settings still definitely work. If you're still experiencing issues, I'd highly recommend upgrading existing Type 3 drivers. Uninstalling or further delaying the install of the September 2021 update will only complicate other security issues not related to this.
-
I had practically the same issue at a school who used EXA as their ISP a while back, but lately the issue has ironed itself out. Very similar only affected one user and yet deleting their browser cache made absolutely no difference.
-
Moving files from one domain to another in Google shared drives
Michael replied to fiza's topic in Cloud Services
Yes, I can't see why it wouldn't work as Content Managers can do this. Still protects data and better to have multiple copies whilst migrating. Just archive in a folder so you know where you're at from the source. -
Moving files from one domain to another in Google shared drives
Michael replied to fiza's topic in Cloud Services
I know not ideal, but if you copy, then delete thereafter from the source, does this work? -
The other difference are that Gen 2's have a built in battery, whereas Gen 1 didn't, so would just switch off if power to the switch was lost.
-
I've setup loads of UCK-G2's, but not the UCK-G2-Plus's, but the procedure should be the same. Plug the controller in to a PoE switch and navigate to it via IP and migrate settings accordingly. Optionally connect it to the cloud and manage remotely is very useful!
