Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jsnetman

Members
  • Posts

    909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jsnetman

  1. You can do it en mass by using exmerge on the exchange server. You can export all email users to PST.
  2. We had similar issues here, one thing I did do is delete the stubpath entries in the machine registry via machine startupscript. This improved first logon time for us. I would test it on one machine first fire up the registry and search for stubpath and delete the sub keys and reboot.
  3. Don't go over board and set settings on every object, start with just a view basic settings like folder/desktop redirection and build up as you go. I would guess I don't use 80% of group policy, the 20% I do use is sufficient to lock the dektops down. Microsoft provide templates for various scenarios it used to be called intellimirror.
  4. 9 out of 10 times it's an inverter board, which is a small circuit at the bottom of the display panel. I always replace that if there is no physical damage and you can get them cheap off ebay.
  5. At least it may not come with the managed IT service that BSF does. Well I'm hoping anyway !
  6. I have 2 domain controllers 2008 R2, one is the KMS server with the kms key and one is on a MAK key. The kms server has remained activated. You won't see much happen until you get like you say 25 clients on the network.
  7. Yes, you just use mak keys on the servers you don't want to activate via KMS.
  8. Looks ok, just wondering why you have not gone R2 ?
  9. I know this won't help but I had nightmares setting up printers with a whole load of problems like clients not downloading drivers and finding the right 64 bit and 32 bit, In the end I went all HP universal.
  10. that is the beauty of GP preferences you don't need a policy for each room there are criteria you can add to the prefernces target to only apply printers to say computers starting with the name A1 then A2 and so on. I presume but have not tried you could even only deploy a printer for specific users or a group to a room using preferences. An example of this is say our admin network which all the comps are in the same OU, however I only want to deploy 1 printer to the heads machine which no one else gets. The possibiliies using the targeting settings in preferences are endless or pretty much so.
  11. Found the same issue with con2prt, so now use GP preferences to deploy printers for Win 7 machines.
  12. I tried xibo and it looks good but it does not upload videos, it tries and looks as if it is but when going to the repository it is not there, anyone here having the same issue (there again it could be anti virus or something) have not went into it in any detail.
  13. Its very easy really. You join them to the domain but you don't heavily restrict them in any way (Machine OU using GP loopback processing). You do Mydocs folder redirection and use a local profile and by default when they go home they still have access to their mapped home drive albeit by synchronization. One problem might be proxy settings but if you have your network setup to automatically apply proxy settings via dhcp and dns then when they go home they will get internet access whatever ISP they have. Group policy processing also plays a role here as you don't want the user logging onto a PC within school with the same relaxed policy.
  14. I had exactly the same problem and tried for months to solve it, gave up eventually and installed it to the image the only package I do put on the image as it beat me using GPO.
  15. We use abtutor here and it also does not display any warnings when viewing a romote machine, in fact I have not seen any software that does this apart from the likes of logmein and so on, which are not really lan products. I have in thumbnail view 350 PC's on our lan and yes I use it to actively monitor pupils for use of games and so on. I will only monitor a teacher or support staff at the request of a senior manager. From time to time I open a teachers machine accidentally when I'm roaming around the thumbnails or when they request assistance. I have to agree with some of the posts here that if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing you should not mind this type of monitoring/support.
  16. We have mostly win 7 clients but have a few classrooms still on XP. To get functionality for the two types we use group policy loop back mode for the seperate ou's containing XP and Win 7 Clients. We then use group policy preferences to deploy printers on the win 7 computers in the user portion of the policy, you get an extra level of choice using item level targeting wich allows you to deploy the printer by machine name or OU or a whole host of other options. On xp machine we are still deploying via script, but there is no reason they could not also get printers deployed via this method. One more point of deploying printers via GP prefernces is you can specify a default printer which you can't using the other method.
  17. Just ran it again on full volume and yes you are right.
  18. You can clearly hear it.
  19. Reminds me of what it must have been like in Nazi Germany
  20. We have one logon for staff. When they take the laptop home thier credentials are cached. We use folder synchronisation for the My Docs folder so even when the laptop is at home they appear to have an N drive but the files are synced. We tried locking down the laptops and did not allow local admin rights but when a flood of issues came back relating to installing home broadband (which on some require local admin rights) I had to relent and give them it.
  21. It really is not hard to go from RM to vanilla. You should perhaps prepare first. Get a lab situation going with a virtual server and a couple of virtual clients. Setup 2003/2008 whatever install dhcp and dns and active directory and get a workring machine and user group policy going with folder/desktop redirection. When I did it I kept the same type of mapped drives and shared areas that RM do so that even their MSI's work.
  22. I know that they have a problem with the 6.4 version. It won't install for me either, tech support at ABTutor said it was because they included several languages into 6.4.
  23. Interesting video, it sort of confirms my understanding that MDT is overkill in a school enviroment, MDT being focused on a broad range of users and customising image deployment to cater to a large and varying user base. I suppose if you were based in an LEA and serviced lots of schools MDT would be the way to go.
  24. I would of thought there is no minimum, if there was that would rule out PDA's and netbooks and all sorts of small gadgets.
  25. The old versions of numbershark and wordshark don't run. You need the latest release.
×
×
  • Create New...