disk
Members-
Posts
201 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by disk
-
I believe this to be the correct answer to the problem.
-
Maybe try running the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter? Since that update doesn't appear to be a security update, you might as well skip it for now. Perhaps Microsoft will get enough telemetry back on that patch and reissue it at a later time. I suppose it couldn't hurt to attempt installing it manually to see if you have the experience. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087390
-
Are you using the FQDN when specifying printers in policy?
-
Visual Studio 2015 Community edition in campus computing labs
disk replied to disk's topic in Educational Software
Didn't end up trying the single ms account method. I was able to get Visual Studio 2015 Professional from our MSDN account. The Pro version doesn't have the activation requirement that Community does. Working well for us now. -
What is the make/model? Are they running the latest version of VirtualBox and/or VMWare Workstation? Try updating the BIOS to the latest version?
-
Did you update the BIOS? A quick search for that model on HP's support site shows a BIOS update from August 11th. The top enhancement is listed as "added support for Windows 10". Also, was this an in-place upgrade or a clean install of the OS?
-
You are looking at the logs found here? event viewer - Applications and services log - Microsoft - Windows - Diagnostics Performance Besides that, you might want to look at the Windows Performance Toolkit (found in the Windows ADK). https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh162945.aspx Lastly, Soluto is pretty handy at looking into Windows boot times and being able to drill down and look at what is causing long boot times: https://www.soluto.com/boot-time
-
We have just begun the process to support Windows 10. I created a Windows 10 x64 Enterprise image by installing to a VM on my Hyper-V VM, installed Windows Updates, and ran sysprep. In my testing I have had no issues using generic domain accounts that have no password (they are used in computer labs where currently our Windows 8.1 PC's autologon). Just for fun I also created a local account with no password and that also works fine. Not sure why it isn't working for you. I haven't changed any of our group policies. I would suggest you perform a "gpresult /r" on one of those machines to see which GPO's are being applied and which ones it might be having issues with. FYI, our Forest and Domain functional level is Server 2012.
-
We moved to MS Endpoint Protection in 2011 from Sophos. It not only saved us money as it was included in our campus agreement, but it has served us better than Sophos did (At least back then). We have over a 1000 PC's though that must run an extremely old and vulnerable Java plugin. To help bolster security we used the money we were saving on our regular antivirus solution and put it towards licensing Malwarebytes for Business. It is designed to provide additional on-access protection that works in conjunction with regular antivirus solutions. https://www.malwarebytes.org/business/antimalware/ Since employing this strategy we have seen the number of malware tickets drop to almost zero. The ones we do see now usually don't require a reimage of the machine either.
-
Looks like you can use local or group policy to control the Start menu. User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and Taskbar->Start Layout.
-
Maybe check for OS/firmware updates for your switches? Check the release notes, maybe something there about improving/fixing this issue?
-
How are you pulling up the image?
-
I would have to disagree with you Arthur. IE11, while not beating firefox or chrome in that latest benchmarks, it is far from being an "awful browser". It really shines on touch devices if you are running the modern mode. Also, the battery usage improvements alone can make it the better choice for those that need every bit of battery life. Anyway, we will be deploying Edge when we start rolling Windows 10 out next year. We already use IE11's Enterprise Mode for a few sites and my understanding is that you can continue to maintain that list/policy and if a user attempts to go to a site on that list, it will automatically open it in IE11. Should be happening less and less as more sites are updated or fallen out of use.
-
The UAC needs to be on in order to use Metro apps (it is part of how they function with the sandbox). Sounds like that one machine the UAC is off and elsewhere it is on. If that isn't it, I would suggest running the Microsoft Windows Apps Troubleshooter: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268423
-
Not sure if anyone else has ran into this. Our faculty wanted to move from VS2012 to VS2015 for this fall semester. After seeing that it was free for educational use we went ahead and installed it in a few labs. I just now noticed that they are all saying we have 6 days left to activate. To activate, it appears you need to sign in with a Microsoft account. We have never required our students to have a Microsoft account and even if they did, these labs are used by many students every day and we use Deep Freeze to keep things clean. I posted in the MSDN forums regarding this but thought I would inquire here as well. Does anyone have any sage advice for me? I am hoping there is an alternate activation method. I don't believe VS2013 Community had such a requirement. If I am forced to activate all these Visual Studio installs with a Microsoft account, I wonder if I can activate them all with one MS account. It wouldn't be fun but it could work. If there is a hard limit though, then I guess we're screwed.
-
Except for computer labs that are using software solutions like Faronics Deep Freeze. They will just be downloading the updates over and over. That is why we disable auto-updates in software like Firefox. We control when to push the updates. No sense in wasting all that bandwidth day after day.
-
My understanding is that Windows store apps are only available to to user who made the purchase. With Windows 8.1 Microsoft allows that purchased app to be installed on 81 devices. Increasing the app roaming limits To allow other users on those devices to use the app, you need to sign into the store app using the account that it was purchased under. After it is installed for that user, you can then sign out of the store and that user can continue using the app. There may be some way of using powershell to automate this process but that is only a guess.
- 5 replies
-
- microsoft store
- purchasing
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I never had any luck injecting .NET updates in our WIM images. I haven't looked into the possibility in at least a year however, so maybe there is something out there. Does your imaging solution have the capability of automatically running post-imaging tasks?
-
Maybe use USMT as a post install task? You might even be able to run it as a run once in your answer file.
-
It can be done via Local Group Policy Editor (and probably AD Group Policy). Click on Start and type "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) in the Search box and hit Enter. Then, go to: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\ In the right pane, double click on "Assign a default domain for logon" setting and then select Enabled option. Then, type the default logon domain in the given box under "Options" and then click on Apply and then OK. Then, close the Local Group Policy Editor window and reboot your system to see the changes. Another thing you could do while you are in policy is disable the lock screen so the system just boots to the old school looking Windows logon screen. If more than one user is logging into the tablet, you could also specify the setting to not remember last logged on user. That way you are presented with a blank username field.
-
Maybe have a look at the Microsoft FixIts: Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues I believe there is a Windows Media Player option.
-
I agree with Arthur. I would add that if you plan on keeping them at 1GB of RAM, give 32bit Windows 8.1 a shot. In my experience it is more than capable on old hardware with 1GB of RAM.
-
We are around 80% Windows 8.1 with the remainder on Windows 7 (that is staff/faculty/instructional workstations).
-
Have you tried updating one station to Windows Movie Maker 2012? Get Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows
-
I believe that MSE/Defender is a fine choice for AV, but I don't believe that it is a full solution. In our environment, we use Microsoft Endpoint Protection (same AV engine as MSE/Defender) but supplement with Malwarebytes Enterprise: https://www.malwarebytes.org/business/antimalware/ They say it was designed as secondary protection and was designed to work in conjunction with your existing AV. It has really helped cut down on help desk tickets due to malware issues. Most of our malware issues were due to running very outdated versions of Java (and not being allowed to update as we have enterprise software that requires an old vulnerable version). Malwarebytes certainly helped, but there are other products designed specifically to block these software vulnerabilities. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (there is a pay for version and free version for personal use): https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/ Microsoft has their own version (free) called Microsoft EMET: http://www.microsoft.com/emet If you are able to keep all of your software up-to-date (Windows, Office, Java, etc), I would say that MSE and one of the other security products listed above will make it very difficult to infect a workstation. If you are forced to run old vulnerable software (Flash player, Java, etc) then I think the perfect trifecta would be: MSE + Malwarebytes Enterprise + EMET or MSE + Malwarebytes Enterprise + Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
