Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. tarquel

    Cable testers

    nice.... Although I'm sure we all can afford one of these: http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=BELLA00PP5 http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=BELF4F3150 (I've got the latter - it works fine and with edu discount, its cheaper than advertised price) Wish fibre cable maker tools are as cheap as catx/rj45 crimpers lol Anyone use fibre ones and have any recomended equipment for making them? (also, as a small side point, I'd like to know any switches with builtin fibre modules in them anyone can recomend? ...did i forget the word 'cheap' there? lol 3com, hp, netgear, etc style brads are preferable) Cheers, Nath.
  2. tarquel

    Museum Piece

    Actually, I might try that for a laugh. Oh, wait... There's no CD-ROM I'm sure I heard that there is a floppy disk version of XP lol I know there are floppy setup boot disk's for xp - not got link handy, but if u have a LPT style external CD-ROM drive.... I can see a 486 from here actually - collecting dust in the back. It may have even 8MB in it and win3.11. I remember having fun trying to get the OLD 486 pc's to connect the the NT4 server when we got it lol (the old netware 3.x fileserver was bad enough - no usernames, just one mapped drive and that was that lol) Cheers, Nath
  3. tarquel

    IP cameras

    Damn Chris - you beat me to it lol I was gonna go one step further and ask if anyone knows a good network / IP cctv camera system to self-install thats easy to set up. Let me explain a little further... We had a CCTV system installed 4-ish months ago and its ....well.... crap lol Its a manually cabled point-to-point affair - not IP or anything - just power & video cables run everywhere, but to add another, you can piggyback the power but not the video cable (whats the point of that lol). The cables terminate on a BNC-styled port (if which there are 16 in and out ones) and the machine has two HDD's in it - not mirrored, but for additional storage. I think the res of the pictures is about 720 x ?? and its pretty crap as the cameras they used ared day/night ones so we gonna get flood lights everywhere. They start to get all misty as it gets darker - yuck! The unit has a web interface that can be viewed on a lan (or i'net/vpn perhaps) but its the slowest thing I've ever seen. The interface is only a 10M, not a 10/100, and it displays stuff soo slowly (from a machine on the same switch even) that its jut unusable properly in that way. Right, is there a unit - like this, but actually good that we can get/setup and install some std Cat5 networking to a few choice areas and put up some WAP's and setup some WiFi IP/Network Cameras? If your wondering why a seperate network, its because the network isnt the quickest as it is, and having it any slower would be baaaad news for me. Also, as a side point, can a (IP) telephone system be intregated into this later? Dunno why I'm bothered about it lol Just cant help of how to get this place out of the bin (as such) lol Then maybe I'll have a phone in my room (after long last) and be able to CCTV the computer rooms like you are after Chris Cheers Nath PS I saw a cool program I-Catcher or something similar that we tried out with some really cheap creative webcams (before we got the CCTV up and running). I guess a similar thing could be setup (this program was a trial ver naturally so didnt get a chance to play properly with it)
  4. Just a small thought here but will Job Eval help here? i.e. for those of us that are unclear on our "roles" (especially what the SMT's decide regarding our roles) or other members of staff not realising that they shouldn't be doing something or performing something, etc. (like with mark's case) - Would job eval help clear up what should and shouldn't be happening when it comes in? In my case, I clearly dont know where i stand, and being of the 'gutless' sort, I find it hard to ask those sort of questions like the other day he went a bit defensive when I asked him about the student AUP lol - all I wanted to do was see it lol. Its funny how they dont want you to have the money/status of network admin, etc., but then everything is your responsibility when things happen - like bromcom. I didnt get asked on it, or get involved at all, then when it buggered up the other month, apparently "I" was responsible for managing it lol - I think I made a good point back at him tho, and finally got the admin staff to "ring the damn helpdesk themselves" (after all, thats what its for lol) *ahem*....'scuse my rantin yet again lol...but I hope you see my point in posting this... :S !? Regards, Nath
  5. Currently have two HP StorageWorks DAT72i's - one in the admin & one in the curriculum DC's. They work lovely and are pretty quick, but alas the 72Gb is only a "ideal world" max as its refering to 2:1 compression. On the cur DC, I manage to backup 3 partitons totalling 34GB (almost full) which just covers it without compression (altho its enabled anyhow). The admin DC hasn't got that much on it so that ones no bother Wanna get a storage server or NAS device next year probably. Cheers, Nath
  6. Done and done Geoff Could you edit your post now (I cant for you as I'm not a mod here)? ***NOTE:*** This topic was created and split from the topic: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=124 Regards, Nath
  7. P4 or Athlon 64... 512MB? Ideally, but this is minimum useable spec topic lol so for basic office, email & net, u cud get away with less. U must get a big budget and a sympathetic ear in Preston DB lol I would say 128MB complete minimum - providing the pc isnt a crap K6-2 CPU (they were good for their day tho lol) - and the CPU probably a min of at least a AMD Duron/Athlon 800Mhz-1Ghz. HDD would have to be a min of 5.4k rpm and, depending on the use of the computer, around the 10Gb mark - again, for Office, XP and some support tools and apps, this is fine. VGA - 32MB on-board (in which case more than 128MB system memory) / AGP x4 (or above) card. Lan card of 100Mbs - i wouldnt bother with 10M. I would probably have these machines linked to a certain GPO that forces them to use classic-style look/turn off the "graphical effects" of windows just to help speed things up a bit. Cheers, Nath
  8. tarquel

    WSUS experiences

    LMAO Naa tis 100% Windows Server 2003 Std def not SBS. [will take a look at the link anyhow ta - may still be relevent] EDIT: Even installed to the alt. port - option during WSUS setup but alas, no joy (yes, used port address in the manually typed i.e. http://servername:8530 but no good ) Nath
  9. I refuse to use it lol I want to finish my all-powerful script. Need to setup a test server just for trying it out lol Cheers Nath
  10. tarquel

    WSUS experiences

    Anyone know what this is and how to fix it? I just noticed it and its probably the cause of why the client pc's aren't updating.... I cant browse to the location of it either - via webbrowser that is, so although IIS is installed, maybe its to do with that. Any thoughts? Cheers, Nath
  11. @russdev: ok added you as mod for these areas (what trying to do is get two mods per section. Did you? lol I dont see my name there so did you make me mod on other boards to what I mentioned because you want a max of two modes per board? Can you change it so I'm mod of the "fun stuff" sections and "Codeing" instead of "Recommended suppliers" and "Downloads"? - leave me on "Bad experiences" if ya like Maybe a private memo/chat regarding moderator rules is on the cards Also, and I should post this in site announcements (doh!) but shouldnt there be a Forum Rules section for new users, etc to keep in mind Especially as guests can post, I wonder if spammers will find us :S Cheers, Nath
  12. Mark - u got a link to PCC's er... "general"... AUP? the one parents have to sign, etc.? Apparently ours is from Gwynedd's site!!??? Ta, Nath [PS Yes....too lazy to find it m'self lol]
  13. Second User ones from...? Your supplier or ebay? Cheers N.
  14. Can I mod a few more to help out? i.e. Hardware, Networks, Gaming, General Chat (last two so i can move my thread to the new area ) Cheers and plug on with the good work Nath
  15. tarquel

    Skype

    A slight digression (as is customary hehe) but can anyone suggest a good internal phone system for the whole school? VoIP sounds good but I know nothing about it and also, I dont really want it added to my list of jobs here (unless they pay me for the privelege hehe). Anyone know any good wired/wireless systems? - preferably not linux boxes that I have to fix please Skype on all the admin pc's............. Cheers, Nath
  16. I get all my toner from Insight UK, tho you do need to chat to the same person (like with all suppliers) and say you are education, etc so that he gives you the "best price" lol I've been mainly getting everything from them as everytime I check, he always has given me the best price and/or beaten other prices when needed. So no more... Cheers, Nath
  17. Indeed. ICT Co-ordinator refered to me as IT Technician to me today. I couldnt be bothered to say anything lol ...its too hot and too much hassle lol Just to note, I subscribe to Custom PC & PC Zone. Cheers, nath
  18. Manually? *yuck* My process is fairly easy in that you just: - export list of users from SIMS [i'll have to make a custom SIMS .net report now perhaps] to a csv - open in excel - add a column (to place the script name at the begining of each line) - save it - rename to .bat ...and voilla (adding @echo off at the begining if desired). Of course, it all depends on what you use as usernames but mine consists of: "XXYZZZZZ..." XX - starting year Y - Reg group ZZZZZ... - First name (use of surnames in a username tricky in wales lol - jones x 1M hehe) so my columns are as follows: [scriptname] [Year] [Reg] [Forename1] [Forename2] [Forename3] [surname] As the rest can come from SIMS [now! ...I used to just add column in excel and fill it with the year - probably have to change it to the two digit equiv], its only the scriptname you have to add Hope this makes some sense and again, I'll be working on my script too real soon - it does much but needs to do a tad more Cheers, N
  19. tarquel

    meetups

    8O I hope you mean the car lol *gross' himself out* Work....... must.....do....work..... N
  20. I use my own script I've created.... I seriously need to edit it some more tho as it needs tweaking but once I have, maybe I could show you all I just need to variable-ise it and add a few other features. I've been adapting it off and on for a while since getting the 2003 server last aug/sept Cheers, Nath
  21. Never been to one but wud love to give one a blast.... I suggest we hold our own somewhere - in line with the "other" topic (meeting up) Cheers, Nath
  22. tarquel

    Skype

    Have used Skype for quite a while, but only for I'net chat to a mate. Haven't used it to/from actual phones - havent needed to. Cheers, N.
  23. tarquel

    meetups

    I'd luv a trip to scotland... Fill out a cheap hotel....set up a lan party & general conference/meeting... cud be fun too ...just an idea. But yeah, i'd like to have a "meet-up" (mark - u drving then? ) Nath.
  24. now that is a lot lol I take it u dont mean working ones do ya? I cleared out a load of 486 shells & old ega/assorted monitors - plus my ...*sobs*... old c64 and some of its games 'n' hardware Cheers N.
×
×
  • Create New...