-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
Agreed. I noticed another odd thing is that someimes, there will be some threads in one of the boards that have new posts (with some other boards with new posts too) and sometimes, when I go nack after looking at a thread, it doesnt display some of the threads (or boards) as having new posts, when they were previously. Something like that anyhow lol Too tired to explain lol Cheers
-
Here's who I used last summer: http://www.activeuk.com/ I can give you a name tomorra if desired, but pls say I recomended you Not got the quote handy for this coming summer's two installs, but as I recall, they charge £250 per install and do a nice job It certainly beat the manual install that ICT Co-ordinator, Caretaker & myself did the other month, but if ur good at DIY, then its fairly easy. I was crap in Tech lessons so I left them to "attach it" to the ceiling. I can get/show u some prices if ya want to do it manually... ...but I think the others are right, its prob best getting someone in, and these ppl were efficent and did a tidy enough job Better than the ppl that we waited 6 months to hear from after ordering that didnt show. Lucky we didnt pay them with a credit card lol Ivojo (or something) I think they were called. I rang them a few times after waiting a while to arrange times of installation, etc. but for some reason, they never rang back as promised. The funny thing is that they were recomended in a teachers meeting with some teacher/rep from another school/county who recomended them lol Cheers, Nath
-
Chris.... Whats ur budget for the TFT 19" for home? http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/74216/lg-flatron-l1950h.html http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/74217/viewsonic-vx924.html http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/72905/acer-al2032wm.html (if u have the money lol) http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/72904/benq-fp91v.html [Just a quick review search on the pcpro site ] Cheers, N.
-
I see (soz. got a bit confused earlier lol) Thanks for the info Nath
-
I would have to agree. Just as Server 2k3 can be a member server on a 2000 domain (as far as I remember that is), it stands to reason that a storage server 2k3 can be on a 2k domain also. Probably configurable in most domain scenarios Cheers
-
TS3 on the PS2 really rocks too btw ppl rancidbones is my/my mates handle - only on it at mine tho Cheers, Nath PS Will comment more when I have more time lol
-
I've always liked the HP buisness inkjets too (altho not named the same, our HP 2000C's ran really well - probably only messed up coz we started using compatibles). Much as I like Colour Laserjets - we only have one - but (as mentioned in a different thread) it gobbles the tonner and just costs so much. Would be nice to find a cheap HP olour laserjet that is fairly cheap to run Cheers, Nath
-
This sounds like a real nice system - how much drain on the network is there from this btw? (if no-one has already asked) Cheers, Nath
-
Just a bit more detail of the items really - models & pricing wud be handy too. Plus the software/system used to record the cameras too wud be handy. Whats the quality like on the cameras you got and are they day/night type of cameras? Cheers, Nath
-
We are getting a photocopier that can be printed to directly from computers - admin (and curriculum staff possibly) use via some software and networked naturally. Not sure the name of the software/system but its a Konica Photocopier - Not colour tho, I think Cheers, Nath
-
Aye - a looong Cat5e cable, tho I'm not sure who did what with this link i.e. so I dunno if they installed the Cat5 <> fibre converters (is sorta my reason for just using switches with fibre modules in them ) or even the fibre link itself. They may have just come in to "terminate" the ends. If youre wondering why the other job wasn't finished by the other party involved, so am I lol I think we f''''' them off for that very reason lol But all of this is another topic really - like by using these rj45 <> fibre converters, is it making the fibre a bit pointless i.e. follow this in a connection way: - [10/100 port on switch] > [10/100 port on Fibre converter] - Fibre runs to other area - [10/100 port on Fibre converter] > [10/100 port on switch] Is it not better to have them directly into the switch with a fibre module in the switch? Would it make the link a tad faster? Cheers [@mod's: split the topic if you like ] Nath
-
ahhhh POE....expensive? You got another piccy to show me? I shall re-scrutinise (if thats a word) the photo later (I can be a bit of a thicko sometimes lol) Cheers Nath
-
Will do, altho I'm not gonna need the info til next year lol (maybe xmas when the head wants a chat again ) Cheers Ric
-
Ahhh Manufacturers warranty - thats better lol I just feel like the old saying "you get what you pay for" tho lol Still....sounds nice Anyhow, this is off topic really so I iz gonna shut up lol Cheers, Nath
-
Nice, but I dont like second-hand stuff. Not for use @ work. We get by, and compared to previous years, we're loaded lol I'm not saying not to beef them up, only what I'd have as a minimum for *this* school thats all. Additional RAM I would go for with a XP upgrade (@ about £25-£30) will be just the job but as these machines are 4-ish years old, I wonder if its worth it - probably will be as I doubt they'll be leaving here anytime soon lol Cheers.
-
lmao - doubt thats ever gonna happen. We havent had a fibre link put in for years lol (except the one that was "finished" last year or so and works extremely slow but it has been suggested it could be the RJ45 <> Fibre Converter on one of the sides ) Its a nice idea tho lol but anyone around here leaving one behind is gonna miss it lol Cheers, Nath
-
er....nice You're just using powered hubs then or something similar right? I know I'll kick meself but I cant remember what POE stands for lol I understand what you have there but what controls & records all the camera? thats what I was trying to ask in this post (http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1219#1219) above. Cheers, Nath
-
Is PCounter free? Got any info on it - links etc? I like PMP (Print Manager Plus) that we use but I'm wondering if theres a freeware/open source solution? Cheers Nath
-
*laughs @ Chris* so no one has got/used a Windows Storage Server 2003 serup then? *he says remembering the topic title lol* Its probably what I'll go for next year (if I can) so any info and experience ppl have would be most welcome Cheers, N.
-
lmao @ amsterdam lol School paying for something they dont have to? You guy are too lucky lol Maybe I'm just not demanding enough My vote is for scotland - just coz I've never been there lol - or Leics perhaps.... Or you can come to wales lol N.
-
lol no mate, you mis-understand me... If you have 100k in your budget, you can safely keep a higher min spec of systems running on the network and not have to worry about holding onto the older pc's, whereas if you only get 8k in the budget, then you're gonna have to hang on and keep older machines whereas with 8k, you may need to get other things and can't afford to to get rid of machines that are, although below what you would like as a min spec i.e. in my case, I have to get a new email (exchange) server and associated licenses and equipment, a VPN/Firewall system, and much more... the ICT Co-ord would never allow me to ditch the older pc's just because I say they are feasable on the network anymore. We weren't on about min spec of buying new ones - just the min spec of what we can carry on supporting efficiently enough. I have a suite of about 25 computers that are: - AMD Athlon 800 (i think) - 128MB SDRAM - ~30GB HDD - 32MB Nvidia TNT2 AGP - Windows 98SE (yes, 98 still lol) They have the usual support apps like adobe reader 6, qtime, etc., Office 2k pro and a few multimedia apps like Kudos (Sept 04 - customised network install I made up...works a treat if anyone is interested in it) and some lovely (not!) welsh proggy's on them. I tried installing XP on one of them and they were fine - slow naturally, but perfectly useable for general internet & office 2k apps, tho O2k3 wud be a tad too slow maybe lol New machines I get are (currently): - HP Compaq DX2000 machines - Intel Celeron 2.5Ghz (approx - keeps getting higher this tho) - 256MB DDR - 40GB or more HD (having large drives is pointless for us currently - 10/100 onboard - onboard shared gfx 32MB or above, which is ok for the general internet/office/multimedia (apps, not creation) affairs - CDROM & Floppy drives (for my benefit only really as the systems are locked away from fiddly hands ) They work lovely - nice and quick for what they are. If the machine is specifically for something else i.e. music, I'll either build it from scratch or get a specific higher model. Sorry for the rant lol Cheers, Nath
-
As I said to mark earlier, I think ultimately comes down to how much each school's ICT budget is each year, which helps determine what you consider minimum spec. i.e. a school having 100k a year as opposed to a school that has 8k is gonna have different min specs I think you'll agree Cheers, N
-
Might give them a call soon Cheers Ric
-
I *think* I read the world is a bit of a "beta" stage atm... they'll be adding stuff over the coming months (or longer) i believe. Cheers, Nath
-
any thought to my above post? .....anyone? lol Nath.
