Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. I wouldn't allow that but hey, each to their own lol N.
  2. How much was it? I could only dream of such storage lol N.
  3. I didn't bother with it (MS ASW) here as it didn't seem too networking friendly lol - aimed at home user methinks The pop ups only serve to confuse people more, and it was popping up stuff with the GP changes lol - not particularly useful as then the user can block / Deny the change lol Cheers, Nath
  4. ahhh I see Never really tried a network install but I'm looking forward to trying it next week onwards with RIP Cheers Nath
  5. tarquel

    Customise folder

    Shame you didnt mention this last night mark lol Here's what I tried out yesterday and now "Set as wallpaper" doesn't work but you do *have* to set the Active Desktop to enable to perform a fixed backdrop like this Cheers, Nath
  6. /offtopic Cascaid were surprisingly helpful with what to do with Kudos for a network install. I've got it packaged lovely and all unattended also @ICTNUT: Still half asleep here but is this RIP or are ya using a runonce style script to complete the task after the UA CD has completed its install? Cheers N.
  7. hmmmm....that looks nice. So what is the costs of consumables like - inkjet vs toner i.e. with this printer vs a cheap colour laser? [ I could probably get it for around £520 & free delivery ] Cheers, Nath
  8. 'mi-aow' lol
  9. @ICTNUT: That would be really handy thanks @DB: Thanks for the points you made I'm gonna stick it on the email server i "should" be setting up soonish. Think it'll be ideal, along with wsus too [wsus on dc atm] Look forward to trying it over the next few weeks Nath
  10. lol didnt even notice this thread *ahem* before I created my topic in this board regarding this sort of monitoring type tool. Please post there with ome info on what you use if ya cud for me Cheers Nath
  11. Hi all Just been wondering if anyone uses such a thing and if so, what do you use and how reliable is it? What I'm after is sort of a ping-style tool that on one machine, you start it in server mode, and then on the other pc, you can start the tool in client mode and it will record how fast it takes information to travel between the two, bandwidth, faults on the way, etc. Also a hardware style tool - one to act as the reciever and one as the sender to record a similar thing. Any ideas on this as it'll help out no end on a few matters on the network? (hope it all makes sense) Cheers Nath
  12. Indeed Ozan - it does seem to be different (although I would imagine it *should* be the same) in each school mainly. I know I havent got a clue what I am lol (see other rants in other posts ) Nath
  13. Not to be bias (*coughs a fair amount*) I'd have to say 2003, tho I dont have any real exp of other server os' - except NT 4 and a mild amount of linux & netware 4 and below. Cheap enuff to us in edu & select licensing really Cheers Nath
  14. oh lol so it does - soz Well if that is the mentality of that forum, then I happy to be on this one People take things WAY to seriously methinks. Nath.
  15. Indeed I'm a tad confused by the link in the first post tho as I never found any mention of edugeek or is it moaning in general we are on about here? Come and visit us - I'll moan down your ear til the proverbial "cows come home" lol Nath
  16. lol I like that geoff [i dunno - cheaters everywhere lol ;)] Nath
  17. Try asking a local small retailer if he could use a hand. Just be warey of helping dodgy ones tho. Dont ask for much and I'm sure you'll be able to fill up the time I dont know if you're handy with html / php (website lol) but you could have a look for local buisnesses wanting a simple, one off website Hows that for starters? Less than 16 hrs (I think) a week should give ya a bit extra and they wont bother you - even better if the retailer or guy wanting a website is a mate. You're just helping a friend who happens to give ya a bit o cash for it lol [no, i am not implying you should try and circumvent the law before anyone asks ] Cheers N
  18. ...ok I shall rant a "tad" more... Just to expand a bit further, I use both reserved IP's and naming the computers with "some" order too. The reason for the reserved ip's are not mainly for organisation - as you say, why bother when you can use a decent hostname stategy. The reason is primarily if I install XP from a custom unattended cd quickly (for those odd machines that are dotted around the place), install a few apps, but then forget to change the hostname, at least I'll know what and where it is as the IP addy will be the same as it was before the "wipe" of the machine. Also, if a user "does" manage to be able to attempt a change of ip, tho I havent tried it - I would have thought it wont work and then it'll only conflict with the IP they change it to (the one that already exists) which I'll know what and where it is (probably too tired to properly make sense there lol) I'd imagine that once I've locked down and reserved the lot - I should be able to deny any people trying to "add their machine" to the network also i.e. wont assign them a IP. I imagine there is some sort of option for this somewhere only allow mac reservations - like WAP's have Cheers, N.
  19. Hi - and thanks for postin' You have a link at all? Ta, Nath
  20. I imagine they would have. Unless I'm half-asleep, I dont see any difference in this posts to the normal MS product. They bought out 'giant software' as I'm sure we all know, but this doesn't indicate anything different. The very first screenshot has even got giant on it still lol I know that they are still providing support and updates to all those using the pre-MS versions of the software but to what you can get generally (as this is beta still), I haven't seen one. Thats more like it I'd like to beta test this Dont mean to apear nasty - but just havent heard of it (mainstream) since the buy out - thats all I mean I suggest we continue this in the spyware thread though if you want to chat more about it - but for this topic, we are off subject, but thanks for posting this tho Cheers, Nath
  21. lol My office/server room is pretty cold due to the windows in the classroom its attached to (not a IT classroom I hasten to add lol) being open and the extractor fan in the back of my cupboard - sorta creates a wind tunnel lol @mark: wind turbine more like lol Nath.
  22. We've already discussed this really - a few topics down. Nath
  23. True, tho it depends how much you want to get rid of the stuff lol Nath Hope MS make a corp version of MS Antispyware, although with recent news on the Claria spyware "ignoring" choice & that they may be having "dealings" with them, I'm not so sure I'd want it lol
  24. Thats one hell of a task I think lol Spybot - S&D corp would be up your street.... http://www.safer-networking.ie/
  25. Worked for me on MX 2004. I used local Default User profiles though, rather than a single one in the NETLOGON share. Maybe this made a difference? I think he means the local default profile. I'm not sure that he hasn't made a default domain profie yet (I know I havent yet), but thats for another thread Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...