Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. tarquel

    It's ALIVE!!!

    Funnily enough, I finished off a linux server install this morning on my old PII 450Mhz HP Netserver E60 The bugger would get stuck after the first reboot at the: agpgart bit - dont like Intel Apollo 440 chipsets lol With a bit o help, managed to sort that out (comment a line out before rebooting hehe) and away it went Slackware 10.1 - custom built county version all setup but dunno where to go next lol Cheers Nath
  2. Seeing stars eh? no problemo Cheers, Nath
  3. posting messages for the sake of bumping up your post count is frowned upon - I'll let it go this time tho (tho if other mods moan, I shall have to remove them) Just so you know [i'd say its the same on many a forum that this is simple not allowed] Hope i dont appear strick and evil.... (even tho i am lol ) Cheers Nath
  4. Much like my batch script um....dont you have to put brackets or "'s around the file you want to include (like php programming?) Don't know vbs i'm afraid [any good sites on where to learn it?] Nath
  5. Cool - you mean ring up PTC? I dont know anything about what the tech teacher did, who trained, etc. - you know how they skimp on details lol - fancy not knowing what a patch is lol *sheeesh* Have you got a number to call? I've been to their website and the number I found was crap - you had to enter your mantainance agreement license number thing - obvious dont have one so no further could I go Cheers Nath
  6. ...or just visit these pages: MS Windows adm's: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92759D4B-7112-4B6C-AD4A-BBF3802A5C9B&displaylang=en MS Office 2k3: (tool last updated 23rd August 2004) http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/f/95f7e000-d7ab-4b86-8a5d-804b124c7a69/Office-2003-SP1-ADMs-OPAs-and-Explain-Text.exe MS Office XP: (tool last updated 24th October, 2002) http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/D/8/CD8FD60B-D53F-4E22-8202-BDB2D4D0898B/orktools.exe MS Office 2k: (tool last updated 20th April 2000) http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/b/3/6b34f4c7-44e6-4d85-91d9-1acf9479da7d/orktools.exe right click and unpack them - stupid installer aint needed I dont think. Enjoy (havent missed any out have I?) Nath
  7. Thats pretty much how I have it As I've said before (I think) I have a hidden sub-folder called 'profile' in each users directory which holds all the profile data - I guess others have them seperate in a different location but I find its handy when it comes to permissions i.e. they are already set for the profile, tho I try tweaking it a bit etc... [small question here is can that folder be set to deny access if a user tries to browse it, but not in a way that will distrupt the system from accessing it?] Thats what I need to do for our few laptops here - allow them to roam with the docs without loosing anything. I think all I've done is change the option of "deleting locally cached roaming profiles" off for the laptop's OU. Can you elaborate on the setting for us? Its slipped my mind a bit where it is? Globally that is - per share would be on fileserver wouldn't it. Bit tot much hassle methinks lol [....oo a teacher just gave me a pressie lol - tobacco - for working til 6-ish last night lol ...did tell her I was late in the morn..... ] Cheers Nath
  8. Stay on topic folks lol [Nice one Ric - wish it were possible here. How did you manage that? you must have loadsa free time lol ] So no-one has the updates they cud send me then instead? lol Don't see why they dont make them available to download. Apparently they did but pulled them off recently in favour of being annoying gits lol Cheers, Nath
  9. Just wondering if anyone uses ProDesktop at all, and how they get the updates. I'm not sure exactly how or why we have it. Some course the tech teacher went on allowed us to put it on any machine on the network (and allegedly allows pupils/teachers to use it at home too - for school work). Of course, there's no mention of this on the PTC site and you need a maintainance agreement to get into the support section of the site to get updates/patches/service packs. According to some forum i saw, you have to contact the trainer of the course but I have no idea how to. Leave it with the tech teacher but I doubt I'l get any sense before the end of term (today lol). Anyone got any idea on this? Cheers Nath
  10. surprised no one does this one - too obvious i know - but names of girls I use (dont flame me TOO much lol) [year of creation (two digit)]SRV[Girlsname] I named the curriculum DC after my girlfriend - oh how sweet (tho she didnt think so. Cant imagine why. A dependable machine ready to service you 24/7 lmao) Hope that aint too rude for the forum - will delete if wanted lol Nath
  11. Welcome to the forum tony Nath.
  12. lol - just a small small gag from another topic:) Nath
  13. thats whatta i'm a sayin' Nath
  14. Do you bother with the ghost console and that sorta stuff then? In the past, I've just used the Ghost Server proggy and Ghostcasted - but I'll probably use RIP if it goes well Nath.
  15. phew - bit heated is this lol I delete locally cached profiles Ric - you got me curious so I had a look at the size of a few profile dirs Some year 10 pupils - 2 @ about 2.5MB and 1 @ about 4.6MB Not too bad on space really I think, considering they can easily consume that much with a small publisher ("oh no! - he mentioed publisher again" someone cries) document. I'm ok in that we've only got about 60 pc's where people would be using them at the same time so for me, I don't notice it badly and they pupils have got used to it. I think they realise that its stable unlike the 98 clients where it logs on quickly, but that doesn't mean the [start] menu won't crash out on ya lol. Nath.
  16. Hmmmm lol Guess it had lol [you should hear the moans from the accounts woman that we are spending all our money straight away, you'll have nothing else, blah blah - does no-one understand the word "need" things i.e. in order for things to improve and work lol] Cheers N.
  17. It sounds similar to what we have provided for us by out county. We (IT Techies in Powys) can get assigned a IP with "relaxed" filtering - obvious porn, warez, etc is still filtered, but everything else is accessible. Really handy because getting a Access Denied page appear when getting drivers and handy software websites was WELL annoying (as you can imagine). mark - you might want to enquire if it is possible with your setup too Cheers N.
  18. Have you tried using the .adm templates for GP on your setup? Its the reason of using hidden shares and locking down access so that even if they can (or cant with that item mentioned elsewhere - i forget the name of it for 2003) see the shares or know the names of the hidden ones, they dont have access to them. That make any sort of sense? lol Nath
  19. tarquel

    Cable testers

    @ninjabeaver: LMAO - you sir are crazy.... but I like it @Paul_L: It not compulsory or anything - sort of a unwriten rule methinks (er...that I wrote? ) lo No apologising is needed mate ta Nathl
  20. Indeed What Ghost product have you got then exactly? Nath.
  21. lmao but how is using a evaluation / trial version pirating lol I'm lost ppl N.
  22. 8O 8O All I said was "they work fine here" lol Its maybe how I configure it that helps it a little i.e. I *think* I've managed to have it so that it doesn't "download" the whole of the pupils home dir, only the hidden directory within it called "profile" Its a little ingenius I think on my part but its not fool-proof by any means. We are off topic now ppl, and should probably start a new thread for this if ya like Cheers, Nath
  23. @Geoff: Winrar - hell no. Just a the eval ver will do lol Maybe I should convert to 7-zip @ninjabeaver: Winsuite sounds like RM Classmate (we had version II) which was good for the old 98 standalones (and still is lol) but very little point when using GP to its fullest @DB: Want me to add them to the list in the sticky'ed thread? Cheers folks, Nath
  24. lmao Its bad they dont tell you until AFTER its too late isn't it? That should be something either blantantly pointed out or fixed in a update/patch you would have thought. C'est la vie lol Nath
  25. Can do - is the wiki system members only tho? If not, then anyone cud alter a link to some baaaaaad spyware infested site or sumthin tho lol (Mr Negative here lol) Its no bother to me to update the list though you see What do the other admins/mods think? Cheers Nath
×
×
  • Create New...