Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

IT_Man_Dan

Members
  • Posts

    448
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by IT_Man_Dan

  1. Office 2010 is also showing as not being activated on the effected pc's also :-/
  2. Regarding the VAMT tool, I hadn't used this but I have just downloaded and installed it but it shows all computers apart from the one I'm on as 'Unable to connect to the WMI service on the remote machine' therefore licence ifo is 'unknown. Any ideas? Thanks
  3. Morning all I wonder if anyone has experienced this and solved it? We have Win 7 here across the network and used to activate via KMS but this never worked 100% and would throw up 'Not genuine' messages etc so we then swapped to activating using the MAC key which appeared to work. I've just been informed that some computers that had been imaged and activated about 1 month ago are now showing as needing activation again?!? This is very frustrating and to be honest a bit embarassing as people question the fact that it says windows is not genuine... Can anyone advise please? Many thanks
  4. The Google Apps exchange migration tool was what we used to migrate the data originally but for some reason it didn't bring the contacts across. We then tried the CSV file method.
  5. I've checked through CSV of user and the only symbols in the name are @ symbols from where the name is the email address. Do you reckon that could cause the issues? I'll try tomorrow with a CSV without the @ symbols in but that would be really annoying as I presume other users have got some names listed as email addresses.
  6. Afternoon All, Thanks to Cybernerd pointing me in the right direction in another thread we are now able to migrate our mail to Google from our old IMAP server. However contacts are not migrating across. We have since tried exporting the contacts from old system for a user as a CSV file and then importing this file into Google but we get an 'unknown error'. We have then reconfigured the csv to be identical to how google say to set it up in their documentation but still no joy. Has this happened to anyone else and has anyone got any words of wisdom about resolving it? Many thanks
  7. Thanks Cybernerd, I hadn't looked at that tool properly as it said for MS Exchange (that'll teach me to read things properly...). I'm going to give that a go with a couple of my users tomorrow and will report back. We are looking at migrating approx 200 staff or if we decide to migrate students also the total would be around 1100. Dan
  8. Morning all, I'm currently looking into GoogleApps as a new system to replace our LEA's email system. At the moment the biggest issue I have is finding a reliable way to migrate old emails from staff accounts on the WSGFL system to GoogleApps. The only way I've been able to do this successfully (although flakey) is by setting up their WSGFL account as imap in outlook and then using the Google outlook sync/migration tool to move the data across to google mail. This can obviously only be done one at a time which is frustrating and doesn't always work 100% Can anyone out there recommend a better way? I have contacted WSGFL about this issue but they are unable to give me settings etc for any of the bulk tools to work and say that this is the only way. I'm seriously starting to consider whether GoogleApps was a good choice or whether I should make a u-turn whilst I still have the chance. Please can you give mke any advice? Thanks Dan
  9. Morning all, Can anyone tell me how to disable 'conversation view' for all my gmail users within my google apps domain? Also, How do I configure a theme that all users get when signing into gmail on my domain please? All help appreciated. Thanks Dan
  10. Good afternoon all, Currently I'm with our LA for broadband and they also give us some 'basic' filtering, We have a TMG setup on site that the students went through to enable us to better filter content, block things quicker, easier, be able to give staff access but not students, etc. We all know the fate of TMG! At some point in the not too distant future I'm looking at ditching the LA broadband and going it alone as I want more control over filtering/firewall etc. I'm also looking to provide direct access etc and we are looking into BYOD etc. So far I've looked into various options like Lightspeed and Smoothwall for my firewall/filtering needs. I'm awaiting quotes on lightspeed which I know has got good reviews on here (although isn't a firewall so I'd need to sort that) but I have to admit I do like the look of the Smoothwall UTM option. In fact at the moment the only thing about Smoothwall that I dislike is the price and the comments on here about the support (which looks like they are improving thankfully). I first got a quote for the UTM-1000 and then got a quote for just the software figuring that I'd save money and just use what was the TMG server for it. I don't want to know figures but out of interest how does the pricing of other products compare, is it all much of a muchness so to speak? Can anyone tell me how easy the Smoothwall software is to install and configure? I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I then find myself devoting stupid amounts of time and resources to. Does anyone know of any other alternatives I should be considering (not more expensive as budget is tight)? Or should I contact ISP's and see who can offer me connection + firewall + content filtering? My biggest issue is that the TMG was soo cheap to run and I haven't got a massive budget so I'm really trying to get the best cost effective system for as little as possible (aren't we all). Any feedback or advice is appreciated. Cheers Dan
  11. ICT TECHNICIAN - Oakmeeds Community College, Burgess Hill. Grade 4/5 - £15725pa-£16830pa We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly-motivated ICT Technician to work 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year. Our hardworking ICT Team supports a network of around 500 workstations and over 1000 users. The successful applicant will work under the direction of our ICT Systems Manager and will be responsible for providing daily support for all aspects of ICT within the College as well as helping to develop the ever changing ICT infrastructure. Experience of Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Microsoft Office, and maintaining and repairing hardware is essential. Previous experience of Active directory and GPOs, Sophos AntiVirus, Cubase, or Sims.Net would be an advantage. You will need to have a positive ‘can do’ attitude with excellent communication skills and the ability to work under pressure in a demanding environment. Closing date: Tuesday 2 April 2013 If you have any questions about this post please feel free to contact me (Dan Wright - ICT Systems Manager) via PM or email [email protected] An application form can be downloaded from : Oakmeeds Community College - Vacancies A job description will be available shortly.
  12. Afternoon all, Disabling offline files seems to have cured the missing or incorrect work showing in home area so thanks for that. I've got a quick question regarding the start menu redirection. Our users start menus are set via GPO to redirect to \\sername\redirection$ My question is, Should I disable caching on the redirection$ share on the server? Many thanks
  13. Thanks for your replys. Yes the nic cards are 1 gig. Regards Dan
  14. The redirection is set directly back to PDC (eg. \\servername\redirection$\staff) for start menu and wallpaper. It's almost as if the GPO's aren't processing or something similar. I've just been looking at the GPO and realised under computer config>Administrative Template>System>Logon 'Always wait for network' is NOT configured. Would this help or would it just slow down logon? Thanks for your advice.
  15. I'm still getting this issue, One day a user logs ina nd gets the correct desktop and start menu from the server (set in GPO), then the next day it gives them the standard local start menu? Has anyone got any ideas what could cause this? I don't think it's a profile issue.
  16. I'm still having no luck with this.
  17. Good Afternoon all, I'm trying to give staff users write/modify access to two folders plus dependants within program files. I'm assuming the easiest method is via GPO's but I'm having difficulties. I've gone to: Computer config > Windows Settings > Security Settings > file system and then added a directory '%programfiles%\sims and set it to replace permissions with write/modify for domain/staff users. I've then run a gpupdate /force and tried it and it doesn' work Currently staff users have access to write/modify most folders on C drive but are not able to write/modify within program files. Is there something I've missed? Many thanks Dan
  18. Ahhh, Brilliant thanks, I've just disabled that on the student policy and will see how I get on. Do you reckon that will just solve the home directory issue or also the occasional incorrect redirections/start menu issues also? Thanks
  19. Thanks for your reply, In our GPOS: we already have the following configured: Computer config>Admin Templates>Network/offline files: Prohibit user configuration of Offline files Enabled Remove 'Make Available Offline' Enabled User config>Admin templates>Network/offline files: Prohibit user configuration of Offline files Enabled Remove 'Make Available Offline' Enabled Is there other GPO's I need to configure to disable offline files? Thanks
  20. Good Morning all, We are running Win 7 clients and are using local profiles with redirection for start menu, folder redirection etc. Login can be rather slow on the clients and also on the odd occasion a user logs in and finds that certain work is missing or has a different modified date in their home area to what it should be, when you actuallty check their home folder on server it is how it should be and if they log into another workstation it loads correctly. Sometimes (rarely) the redirection also fails although the GPO to wait for network is configured. I've set the GPO to delete cached roaming profiles locally, will this help? If I manually delete the users profile from the machine it seems to fix the issue of missing/incorrect work but doesn't then always recreate the local profile? Can anyone shed any light on this situation please as I'd like to resolve it asap? Many thanks
  21. I'VE CRACKED IT Javascript wasn't enabled in IE settings on Server. For anyone who needs to know: Internet Options>Security>Custom Level>Scripting>Set Active Scripting to Enabled = Problems solved... Thanks Dan
  22. I'VE CRACKED IT Javascript wasn't enabled in IE settings on Server. For anyone who needs to know: Internet Options>Security>Custom Level>Scripting>Set Active Scripting to Enabled = Problems solved... Thanks Dan
  23. I only have the Option saying 'I can't access my account' that then takes me to the forgotten password page :-( Before launching the IE browser there is an option saying 'Yes I have a password' but it is greyed out so I can't select it. It's driving me crazy right now
  24. Hi Stuart, Did you ever get GAPS working? I'm just staring to set it up, have got Directory sync working but I can't even get the page to load to grant OAuth access to Gaps in IE?!? It works on a workstation just not on 2008 R2 server, I suspect an IE setting. Did you have this issue? Thanks Dan
  25. Good Morning, I'm currently in the process of setting up Google Apps. I've got the directory sync working well and am now configuring GAPs but have hit a stumbling block. When I click through the wizard to authorise Google Apps Password Sync a browser opens and I have to fill in my Google admin credentials, then what should happen is it goes to a page that allows me to authorise GAPS to do it's thing (Oauth). What actually happens is I get a completely blank page. I think it must be an IE setting on Server 2008 R2 as if I copy the address and try it on a Win 7 workstation IE browser it works fine. Has anyone got any ideas how to resolve it please? Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...