IT_Man_Dan
Members-
Posts
448 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by IT_Man_Dan
-
Printer not appearing on all clients within an OU when deployed via GPO
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows
Nope not a driver install issue as other printers can be assigned with no issues, including ones that use the same driver. TBH, I was considering a new printer for this suite anyway so have just ordered a new network ready one. Will install that and deploy it and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Regards Dan -
Printer not appearing on all clients within an OU when deployed via GPO
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows
Ok it appears to be a printer specific problem. I tried deploying another printer in another room through the GPO to the room with issues and it worked fine. The printer that has the problem is HP1320 with universal PCL5 print driver running through tplink print server (I couldn't find a win 7 specific driver for it). I tried removing and reinstalling the port and printer on the 2008 R2 server, the port added fine but the 'Add printer wizard@ hung when trying to install?! We have other 1320's across the school with tp link running without any issues and deploying ok. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks Dan -
Printer not appearing on all clients within an OU when deployed via GPO
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows
Hi marsdenprimary. I've just gone in and changed the deployed printer in the GPO from \\servername\printer to \\servername.domain.local\printer and I will see if it makes any difference. A class is now using the room so I can't run any immediate checks. Once I can get into the room I will run checks and also check event viewer. Regards Dan -
Evening all, At my school we currently have Backup Exec 2010 and we backup to tapes. I'm looking at buying a big NAS server which will be housed in a completely different building to backup to each day overnight. I'm looking at purchasing a Buffalo Terastation as I've had good experiences with them in the past. Before I go out and buy it has anyone got any thoughts, known issues, or suggestions? How easy is it to configure Backup Exec 2010 to backup to a NAS server as I have only ever worked with tapes. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Dan
-
Printer not appearing on all clients within an OU when deployed via GPO
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows
Hi Notalot, Sorry for delayed response, got caught dealing with another issue. I will check the full path is used by the GPO when I get in tomorrow. I just can't get my head round why it's working on some and not others, they're all the same spec, in same OU, etc. only difference is computer names. -
Evening all, We have WIn 7 clients and a 2008 R2 server. We have GPO's setup to redirect the users start menu to one we have setup under a shared folder on the server. 98% of the time it works perfectly but then completely randomly a user will log ina and get the default start menu, yet other GPO's have worked. Has anyone got any thoughts as to what could be causing this? Is there anything I can put in the login script to ensure the redirect works all the time, as a fail safe. Many thanks Dan
-
Shortcut to launch a 32bit program on 32bit and 64bit workstations.
IT_Man_Dan replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Windows 7
Hi Steve thanks for your reply. How do I setup the junction point? Also, could I put it in the login script?? Many thanks -
Hi All, We are running a selection of 64bit and 32bit Win 7 clients on our network. Obviously a lot of software we are installing is 32bit and therefore installs to 'program files' on 32bit machines and 'program files (x86)' on 64 bit machines. Is there a way of creating a shortcut to the program to put on the start menu that will launch it on both clients? At the moment I'd have to have 2 shortcuts, 1 for 32bit and 1 for 64bit. Thanks for your help.
-
Hi guys I didn't know whether to put this under Win 7 or Win Server 2008 R2 forum as it's related to both. I have 2 printers installed as network printers on our 2008 print server using standard tcp/ip port which I am then deploying to Win7 clients via gpo. I've found and added x86 drivers to the print server although they are a different version to x64 ones. The printer shows on the clients and I can print a test page with no problem, can print from photoshop with no issues, but when I try and print anything from word it appears in the queue for a moment, then status changes to paused, and then the job just clears without printing. Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this issue please? Many thanks Dan
-
Good Morning, I have setup a printer on our 2008 print server and set it to deploy to an OU via GPO. When I set it up it worked a treat and it has been working well for other printers and OU's across our network. Now one of our rooms (OU) has developed a problem where suddenly the printer isn't showing up on the clients. I've checked the GPO and checked the printer is fine (successfully printed test page from server) but the clients don't seem to install the printer? I've logged onto multiple clients within the room and forced a gpupdate, some of them then had the printer listed and others didn't??? I logged onto each one as the same user and each client is the same image (only difference is computer name). When I try to connect to the printer manually on one of the ones where the printer isn't showing I get a 'Windows cannot connect to printer' error message? Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this to happen as it's rather confusing? Many thanks
-
Good morning all, I've got it working :-) The settings that were stopping it were under: User configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Explorer Control Panel > Advanced I had various settings configured in this section to do with not allowing software to run with invalid signature etc. I removed (set a lot to 'Not configured') and now users can open/save PDF's etc with no problems. Sorry I didn't make a note of what exact settings were set as I removed them all at the same time. The only settings I have configured under the tab now is: Do not allow resetting Internet Explorer settings Enabled Turn off Profile Assistant Enabled I hope this helps. Dan
-
@dhoward_westexetc We are using 9.5.2 also :-/
-
@dhoward_westexetc We are using 9.5.2 also :-/
-
Hi Pudding, Nope I'm afraid I haven't solved it yet. To be honest I haven't had chance to look into it further yet. I'll let you know when I solve it. Regards Dan
-
Afternoon all, I was wondering if any of you would know what GPO could be stopping pdf's downloading/opening in IE9? Basically when our exams officer is logged in she can't open/download pdf's within the browser. This is happening on the edexcelonline website. Yet when I logon (administrator) it works fine so it definately is a rights issue. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Dan
-
Ok I've got a package made using prism for oofice 2010 which works ok (although users have to select update settings and set name and initials on first launch). The problem is that it causes an exception error when the user logs onto the Win7 workstation. If they acknowledge it and closes the error message the computer and office seem to work fine. The details are: "The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352) occured in the application at location 0x75b7d36f" Does anyone know how to stop this error message displaying please? Thanks
-
Afternoon all, I've created a package using prism for MS Office 2010 plus. C drives are hidden for our users (Win7) so no config files etc can be written back to the C drive. Consequently everytime a user opens word etc a box pops up saying 'configuring office' and then comes up with a box asking for initials etc and whether to get updates from net etc... After going through these options the user can then use word with no problems. Trouble is this happens everytime they login (to same pc). Does anyone know of a registry key that I can alter/delete/add to stop office from running the configuration wizard please? Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.
-
Thanks for your help @pritchardavid. If I go in to one users properties and put the path to the home folder \\servername\students$\%username% it comes up with a warning saying the folder already exists and asking me if I want to assign rights for this user to access that folder, I click yes and it works a treat. The problem is when I try to do it on multiple objects I get the following error and it doesn't work: %1 home folder was not created because it already exists. I don't want to have to go through users by user. Is there an easy fix for this? Thanks
-
Ok I created new users and copied data across. Then I tried to modify the home drive setting for the users to point to where their folders were and got an error saying the home drives couldn't be created because the network path could not be found. I'd set their homedrive to \\server\c\users\students\%username% which is where their data is. does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Thanks
-
Ok after looking into my options I've decided to go with @pritchardavid's suggestion and create the users in AD and then copy across their home directories. So here's my new question. Can I just copy all of the Home area folders (named as username) in the root of where they are to be (eg \\server\d\year7) and then create the new users in the new AD setting home directory to \\server\d\year7\%username% ? Would that setup correct permissions to their existing home area folders or overwrite them? Many thanks
-
Afternoon all, Has anyone got a script that I can run on a student directory to delete any folders or files in their user area but ignore folders named 'save' ? Basically the last few years the previous network manager cleared the student home drives of rubbish by making them move anything they wanted to keep into a folder named save. He and his technicians then manually went through student by student and deleted and files/folders that weren't in the save folder. I'm looking for a quicker method to do the same. Regards Dan
-
Morning all, We currently get our broadband through our LEA and for various reasons are strongly considering getting our own solution in. I'm thinking a 100mb leased line should do the job. We have our own TMG on site that we can use for the filtering and have Sophos Antivirus. Can anyone suggest a good provider? Also are there any more considerations I need to make before pursuing this? Thanks Dan
-
Morning all. Does anyone have a list of any URL's that need to be accessible for full functionality of Google Apps please? eg https://mail.google.com I'm just filling out the form which enables our LA to allow access to Google Apps on our site and they require the list of specific URL's to permit. Many thanks in advance. Dan
