Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

IT_Man_Dan

Members
  • Posts

    448
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by IT_Man_Dan

  1. There is internet settings under preferences but that's not where it was originally set :-( I can actually see all the original settings and exceptions when looking through settings tab and the route it reckons they are set under is user config/policies/windows settings/internet explorer maintenance but when I get to windows settings there is no ie maintenance :-(
  2. Morning all, I'm probably just being silly but I'm struggling to locate the proxy settings in GPOs and I need to add some proxy exceptions which I've done in the past? I went to User Config/Policies/Windows Settings but then there is no internet explorer maintenance?!? When I look at the settings list to show what has been set it is listed there but when I go to edit it's not??? Has it moved or am I going mad? Thanks
  3. Don't worry, solved! Thanks anyway
  4. Morning all, Anyone else having issues with MFL not being included in calculations? Data is in PI indexes but not showing in calculations. We had the same issue with science but this has been resolved with patch 18540. A case is logged with Capita but as we know they are very busy at the moment so I'm just wondering if anyone else has got (or resolved) this issue. Cheers
  5. Morning all, I'm just about to archive a load of old data off our network onto bluray's. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good piece of bluray burning software that allows data sessions and allows multiple disc span. I've seen poweriso, is this any good? Thanks for your thoughts. Dan
  6. Cheers, I set it up through GADS and it seemed to work perfectly.
  7. Afternoon all, I'm just in the process of migrating all my staff over to Google Apps. I've got it all setup and configured and have used Google Apps Directory Sync (GADS) to upload my users and OU's from Active Directory. I now want to create mailing lists within Google Apps (eg All staff) and am wondering the easiest way to do it. Preferably I'd like it so that any users created/moved into a certain OU in active directory automatically get added to a group/mailing list (eg if I create a staff member and place them in 'staff' ou they get added to the All staff mailing list. If I create a student in the 'student' OU they don't get added to the All staff list). If that makes sense?! I know you can sync groups, is it possible to create a distribution list linked to an OU in AD and then sync it to Google? Or would I need to create a distribution group in AD called 'All Staff' (we already have a staff security group in AD) and add relevant members (remembering to add new staff members to the group when we create them)? Thanks for your advice. Regards
  8. Afternoon all, Can anyone confirm the cost per fte staff member for google vault for education please? I know we have to buy through a reseller but everywhere I've read about Google Vault or seen a video for it they mention heavy discount for EDU and that the cost is $10 per staff member annually? Is this correct or what is the price for UK please? I've had a quote where the cost per user is quite a lot higher and just want to see if it is correct? Many thanks
  9. Morning all, I was just wondering if any of you have used Printer Cartridges, Cheap Ink Cartridges, Printer Inks, Laser Toner & Inkjet Cartridges for your toners and ink cartridges? I placed an order with them last year and was happy with the goods received but my finance officer pointed out that they don't list UK VAT on invoice or something so we couldn't claim the VAT back?! Do any of you use them and if so have you had any problems? Thanks
  10. Thanks for your response, After inspecting the client firewall and speaking with Capita we realised I was missing an exception. We put this in and all is now fine. I am puzzled though as to why half of the computers updated fine yet they all have the same firewall protection?! weird. Cheers
  11. Morning All, I did log a call at 8 this morning with Capita regarding this issue but am still awaiting a phone call, I guess they are busy. I pushed out the summer update last night and all went well server side. The problem I'm having is with around half the client computers which aren't updating. When I look in the 'solus3 agents' section the workstations with the issue show one of two errors, either 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time' or the other error 'Cannot run ExecuteAgentDeploymentPlan endpoint not found'. This is only happening on roughly half the computers, the other half have updated fine. I've disabled the firewall on the server now but doubt that's the cause as half updated fine, I'm just clutching at straws. We are using Solus 3.5.20 version. Does anyone have any suggestions please? Thanks
  12. As I look into this further I've found another solution that looks like when twinned with Google Apps mobile management it might provide exactly what I'm after. It's called TabPilot and provides a front end/overlay that allows users to only access certain things that have been released to them. I just need to stop students installing apps, playing games, changing backgrounds etc. I'd like to think that as Google Play for Education is developed that this will be taken into consideration but in the meantime I think when the tablets arrive I'll be trialling TabPilot. Regards Dan
  13. Thanks for your reply. Google Play for Education looks good for deploying apps etc but from what I can tell it doesn't offer any tablet lock down facilities, you would have thought that Google would have thought of this as handing out unrestricted tablets to students is a big NO in my eyes. I'm going to have a look at the LearnPad offerings now to see if it is more suitable to our needs. Thanks
  14. Afternoon all, We use Google Apps for Education and are about to receive a number of Android tablets for use by students and teachers on a trial. I'm looking at MDM solutions to restrict what users can do on the devices etc but I have no previous experience of mdm. The solution we choose needs to be free and quick to setup. I have been looking into Google Mobile Management as a possibility. Is anyone on here already using it? Can you use it to limit what apps users can install (eg only allow access to private channel on Google Play)? Can you push apps out to multiple android devices with it? Can you restrict settings etc on the devices to stop students messing around with them? I've only been looking at it briefly but it looks fairly basic as to what you are able to do with it. If I'm right in thinking it is just a basic MDM can anyone recommend any others that I should consider for Android devices please? Thanks
  15. Hi, I'm currently having a look at Google Vault but have noticed it doesn't seem to be a backup solution as such. It's more for email retention policies etc. I believe it's worth having but am looking at something to potentially backup all apps data such as sites, drive, emails etc. The best one I have found is way to expensive for us even with edu discount. Is anyone backing up Google Apps data currently, or just emails? Cheers
  16. Morning all, I'm just about to setup/migrate a user to google apps who currently has two email addresses. eg, [email protected] and [email protected]. I'm wondering whether it is better to set them up as two different users or to just setup [email protected] and add the office one as a nickname? My concerns are, if jbloggs leaves I'd want to pass the data from the office address onto a new user but not include any of jbloggs personal data, does this make sense? The user in question currently uses outlook and we will be setting up outlook sync to enable them to carry on using outlook (as I've done with other users), it would be nice if they could have access to data for both accounts in outlook. How have others done this? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks
  17. This vacancy closes tomorrow.
  18. Thanks I've now resolved it.
  19. SENIOR ICT TECHNICIAN (Grade 7 - £20198pa-22221pa) We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly-motivated ICT Technician to work 37 hours per week all year round. The successful applicant will work under the direction of our ICT Systems Manager and will be responsible for helping to support and develop all aspects of ICT within the College as well as supporting two of our primary feeder schools. Our hardworking ICT Team supports a network of around 500 workstations and over 1000 users. Experience of Windows Server 2008, Active directory and GPOs, Windows 7, Microsoft Office, maintaining and repairing hardware and problem solving is essential. Previous experience of Sophos AntiVirus, Cubase, or Sims.Net would be an advantage. You will need to have a positive ‘can do’ attitude with excellent communication skills and the ability to work under pressure in a demanding environment. Closing date: Wednesday 22 May 2013 http://www.oakmeeds.w-sussex.sch.uk/College-Info/Vacancies/ If you have any questions about this post please feel free to drop me a PM.
  20. Morning all, I'm just playing around with pushing out 2D Design V2 via MSI (which is working perfectly) and am trying to configure the drawings directory to the user home areas (N drive) for when they save but it's not working. Should I be setting the drawings directory to just 'N:' or maybe '\\server\%user%' ? Thanks
  21. Thanks for confirming my thoughts, I've now amended those settings. Will run NSlookup on the site shortly and let you know my findings. Thanks again.
  22. Morning all, Just looking at the way forwarders are configured on our primary and secondary DNS server. Currently they are setup as follows: Primary Server: DNS Forwarder: County DNS server and then use root hints NIC DNS settings: 1. IP of primary server 2. IP of secondary server Secondary Server: DNS Forwarder: IP of primary server and then root hints NIC DNS settings: 1. IP of primary server 2. IP of secondary server Do these settings look correct? I would of thought that the NIC dns settings on primary should have secondary server as first DNS and then itself as second and then the NIC settings on secondary have Primary as first and then itself as second? Also, should the forwarder on secondary server not also be the county dns server and not the ip of primary server? I've got a situation where a website loads correctly on server but not on workstations. Thanks for your input.
  23. Dear all, Thanks for your suggestions and advice, I have now resolved this issue that turned out to be a very simple cause. It turns out that when we experienced the power cut the main server building stayed offline for a few hours after the other areas of the school came up. We have a few Unifi points around the school and one wasn't properly configured with static IP. It therefore took an IP address from DHCP form another server, the same IP as the main server (which stayed offline the longest)! To my horror I found no reservation in DHCP for the server IP (now rectified) and have now statically assigned the correct IP to the AP. Problems solved! I can't believe it was a duplicate IP, or that there was no reservation in DHCP for the server. I'm now going through all the DHCP settings etc for this network to ensure it's all correctly configured. Thanks again
  24. Hi guys, Right, I think I've made some progress and determined that it is switch/cabling related or a dodgy NIC. I plugged the servers and a few clients into their own gig switch and left them running overnight. Our backup between servers had been failing due to the connection dropping, this would happen after about 10 minutes of the backup job starting. Got in this morning to a full backup complete message On Tuesday I'm going to further investigate the switches etc and will keep you updated. Many thanks for all your advice guys.
  25. Hello all, After the words of wisdom I took time out to reflect on the issue. I was getting nowhere because I agree that due to worrying etc I was Not checking things logically. I've managed to kick everyone off the system today from 5pm for testing so am going to plug the servers into a new gig switch with a few clients for testing. One of the things that fails (only since last Thursday) is the overnight backup which runs from server 2 to backup files on server 1. It's been failing because the communication drops to server 1 whilst in progress so it will be interesting to see if it runs tonight not going through all our network infrastructure. Thanks for all your support guys, I'll keep you posted
×
×
  • Create New...