-
Posts
12,644 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by john
-
I had a chance to have a good poke with the Surface RT at BETT and a number of the clones from Samsung, Lenovo and the Dell one we were lent by Microsoft. I have to say I really did like the Surface RT for build quality and the product its a very smart tool and looking forward to poking the Surface Pro, however the clones from others are great, I really liked the Samsung ones I tried (they had an Atom based unit and a Core i5 (think it was i5) unit as well (top end one tipping £1K!) but they were excellent, one design flaw on all the clones I saw is the docking connector is likely to get mangled in minutes in a school its multi-pin and very small / flymsy looking, only Lenovo had solved this issue by having making it so that you cannot twist / bend / screw the tablet into the key dock by sleeving it up so it just goes straight down and in.
-
Very handy to the area @Ric_frequents.... There is a pattern here of being in the area around @Ric_ and avoiding him / being there when he is not present.... #suspiciousgeeks
-
IF any geek would like to let them know the mistake I am sure the MD would be pleased to hear from you I'll point him your way..... Besides we finally ridded the SmoothGeek stand of the errors so someone else's turn to have them surely
-
Not got them myself (and actively avoided based on 3 small Steljes resellers advice as well as not being a true Smart Touchy Feely board) but sounds like you have a Ground Loop Isolation issue somewhere in the system
-
@Soulfish has personal Exchange based email direct from Microsoft and it wasn't part of Office 365 it was just something like Exchange Online don't know what he was paying though.....
-
You need to setup the Adobe Software correctly. When you start a new project you can specify in Adobe Premier where it puts Cache files as they really do need them for the software to work optimally so you move them to a share and voilla no more large profile for Adobe.
-
I have used Ruckus in three schools now, having just completed my latest installation with the support of @Net-Ctrl. I have never had any issues with the ruckus installation however any operating niggles have been resolved very quickly and efficiently. The current install is around 30aps.
-
The Smoothwall email filtering won't do your internal mail, I use a custom transport rule in Exchange 2010 to deal with that myself, what the Smoothzap module does is AV and AS the incoming mail from the outside world and scan mail going to the outside world. I know it has been mentioned before about using it for internal stuff so it maybe on the radar as a future development..... @tom_newton
-
It depends on the product, package, size of UTM, features you need etc... also any LA options etc... So I cannot help with that, all I can say is when I last reviewed UTM based appliances Smoothwall came out Best Value. You need to contact an Education Account Manager to help, BETT will be interfering a bit as they will be here from Tues onwards (late on usually ready for Wednesday opening....) Maybe @tom_newton can poke someone to give you a call to help. They are certainly good people to talk to to ensure you get the right options for your needs
-
Smoothwall Smoothwall and Smoothwall That is the simple and quickest answer You can get a rack mount appliance so buy the box, fit the box, 30 minutes at max to get initial basic configuration done and then it just looks after itself It really is that simple
-
The good people at LUNS are also worth talking to
-
[wanted] blanking plate for the front of a Dell Optiplex 760
john replied to RabbieBurns's topic in Classified Adverts
Don't forget its to Down-Under Dave Maybe your first sale to the sunshiney part of the world! -
RAID HELP - DELL T410 - Windows Server 2008 r2 sp1
john replied to Get2theChoppa's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Battery Backed Write Cache on the RAID Card rather than UPS. -
I would be saying OM3 fibre as a minimum and CAT6 cabling. Dado trunking for all containment as has been said already makes life 100x easier when you need an extra power or data point in 6 months time Cabinets should be in rooms away from classrooms and corridors as people will complain of the noise of switches or use them as target practice. Cabinets should be proper 19" racks and have at least 1/2 the capacity free once full from this phase of building. Ensure you get a 6 way PDU in the rack as part of the spec on a separate spur so that someone plugging a dodgy kettle in doesn't take you LAN down. Always do more points than you think, include in that if you have suspended ceilings put at least a quad above the ceiling as structured cabling can be used for everything and anything such as door access, projector signal cabling, audio cabling, APs etc.... I have a quad in the ceiling for all my rooms and in some of them 3 out of the 4 are used already and we have only just moved back into those rooms from September! (Projector VGA, Projector Management and Wifi AP all over the C6 links) so when you think you have enough you always need more! Ensure you get full test results on Paper and on CD from the testing and ensure its done correctly with a proper test meter not some cheap CPC light testing tool (great for a simple is it bust or not) but you need them to be checked for loss and other stats to guarantee that the higher data speeds will work successfully on it There are a number of members on here that have been part of refurbishment / building projects including myself, @Soulfish and others so shout up if / when you need more help
-
We have (or had) an online subscription to the Jenny Ridgewell online nutritional analysis program its completely web based so no work for IT to do other than ensure Smoothwall liked the site which it did It was certainly cheap enough and ticked all the boxes for the WJEC Catering we teach at GCSE. The Nutrition Program is the link
-
Interesting notice on SupportNet regarding DfE regs on School Year
john replied to vikpaw's topic in MIS Systems
Are they basically saying don't run a Year End process in June when the Exam Leave starts to start a new timetable to prevent wasted teaching time and give a few extra weeks time for GCSE teaching? Our school is proposing starting a new TT in June/July rather than September to give a few more weeks time to the options as we do a stage not age curriculum you do a GCSE option in a year and thus after you have sat the exam you have weeks of time to do nothing basically as you have sat say GCSE Cooking so you have nothing else to do for that course as the exams sat and coursework submitted. I wouldn't propose incremeting the students up a year however just replacing the timetable and re-timetabling those students that remain with us the rest could loose a timetable I would say? -
RAID HELP - DELL T410 - Windows Server 2008 r2 sp1
john replied to Get2theChoppa's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
What data / work will the server be doing would help with that as you select the stripe size based on the type of data stored on the server. -
BETT 2013 - Obligatory "what are you looking for" thread
john replied to GrumbleDook's topic in BETT 2026
I'm sure you won't get lost in ExCeL its just a huuuuuge rectangle at least its not two buildings and two levels like Olympia, its just as cold though As for your list.... 1. You've yet to seem insane, I'm sure some London Pride will assist with sanity adjustments if required 2. I might have one of them in my Rucksack if its the usual RJ45 butt connector, if not I'm sure @Ric_ will have one at his office that can be stolen off something for the week or if not there, Impero are usually good for a steal (sorry borrow....) 3. I'll be there for you so not going to be me for that award 4. Stand needs more sofas? 5. Stand needs less sofas? 6. Got mine and has £ on it as well as I was only in London a month ago (I'm sure i must be an adopted Londoner by now) 7. Last seen at Aberdeen Airport..... 8. I have got some very comfy boots, wear them for work as well as BETT and they do a great job, infact I had them last year and they were really good then so not expecting issues this year. Thin they are Rockport and they were about £90 but well worth it for all the walking you do at shows and work in general for me -
Box the pipes in at that section lots of insulation around them and then MDF boxing for the Board width plus 2ft either side that will help
-
Chance would be a fine thing Its an exhibition centre so captive market so ££ is the key to the day
-
Threat Stuck to Forum and closed for new posts to stop the info getting lost
-
They will have to be as I may have left the bag of polarbears behind in Yorkshire and I'm now leaving Yorkshire for London Poor bears hope they don't get too lonely my cat will keep them company
-
Nelson Thornes was also bought out by Oxford University Press as I had an email about it last week which will contribute to a reduced presence I guess....
-
BETT 2013 - Obligatory "what are you looking for" thread
john replied to GrumbleDook's topic in BETT 2026
First come first served..... -
Ok will see what I can do, I'm not going back to work tomorrow to swipe the ones from the office so will have to be what I've got left in the house....
