caffrey
Members-
Posts
4,763 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by caffrey
-
No dice, only way to get these things running is allow access to the temp directory which would make the AV pointless... - tried some exclusion rules to no avail either
-
Running 2016 here though, and that KB won't install
-
Got to the bottom of it, but not fixed - It's Windows Defender stopping it as it's trying to run from Appdata\local\temp\ Windows Defender Antivirus has blocked an operation that is not allowed by your IT administrator. For more information please contact your IT administrator. ID: 92E97FA1-2EDF-4476-BDD6-9DD0B4DDDC7B Detection time: 2019-11-07T10:52:03.614Z User: THS\username Path: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\IndRepBaseTemplate.dot Process Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\WINWORD.EXE Signature Version: 1.305.1588.0 Engine Version: 1.1.16500.1 Product Version: 4.18.1807.18075
-
Having a mare with macros I've noticed though instead of saving the temp file into C:\Users\[Your Username]\Documents\tempSimsRpt which is a trusted location, the file is actually saved in c:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Local\Temp which of course is untrusted - where do I set environment variables ?
-
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Yeah, I'm disappointed too with it all - the recaptcha thing is embarrassing -
I think paxton can... I'm not sure I can integrate the systems though You've given me an idea... (Thanks ;p)
-
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Admin broke here too, *edit* I'm not in the school today but I've just had an email from my technician about wrongly assigned groups with the wagent.. -
If the kids are late in or leave early for reasons then yes they sign in and out , also we have 6th form (Well they are supposed to) I remember getting a lot of grief about the fire list being wrong during a test - people missing etc., turns out after some investigation that admin had prior knowledge of the test and printed out the list far in advance.... I've mentioned costs of commercial systems in the past
-
The one I've wrote has been very solid with no crashes in 2 years, the only gripe with it was the fire list doesn't sort into form tutors (which causes embarrassment apparently) To d this i would need to add extra columns in the database, alter the report and change the code to get the relevant data. Which would also mean me possibly having to change AD to get that data... But of course noone gets this and think I can just press a button to fix it - it's not on my list of priorities to fix.
-
Google gives most Chromebooks an extra year of software support
caffrey replied to Arthur's topic in Cloud Services
Could say the same thing about iPads, except Apple don't disclose when they stop support and it's only really schools that wring the life out of PCs for as long as we can -
Tried that, it stores the temp file in c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp . I tried moving it to a folder that is allowed to run macros to no avail either.
-
I just swapped out a PC that the data officer was using (old windows 7) and replaced with a windows 10 PC. A report that she ran on the windows 7 PC comes up with the Security warning etc. The macro also enables add-ins to allow merge fields to be inserted into the document (IndRepStudentTemplates.xml) This works fine using office 2016 32bit but it doesn't work on the Windows 10 machine Not sure what it is as they are in the same OU as before and the PC is in the same OU - so all policies should be the same - the document just works on the old PC and no others (not even mine) I'm clueless with SIMS so any help would be great
-
-
Yes eventually, it was a configuration issue on the Netsweeper hosted side of things - the NPS server was configured correctly apart from one setting. The generate-class-attribute has to be set to false on the connection request policy. On the netsweeper side of things, they have to append the username with your site ID e.g. jdoe would need NSW-00000@OVLP99 appending to it in order for the correct group
-
I use a USG for routing between VLANS, it's not perfect but it works
-
Sophos XG web filter gone pear shaped
caffrey replied to bodminman's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Could do a raspberry pi with pihole as DNS, using one of these blocklists ? https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts -Planning on doing this for a guest network here Don't even need a Raspberry Pi either I have it setup in a VM for testing -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Yep, I've been getting stick too, but I tell everyone it's not my fault - been getting the captcha thing all day today -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Unifi \ NPS does work - I have it working here Get Shaun the NOC engineer on it, I got fobbed off and blamed so much getting this working and he fixed it in an hour, it's to do with the accounting packets needing the SBB bit adding on e.g NAME+ @NSW-00000@00000 which can only be done on their side You also need generate class attribute setting to false in the radius attributes of your connection request policy -
I'm considering using a pihole on our guest network, using a list that blocks most of the naughty stuff
-
iOS 13 and HTTPS Inspection
caffrey replied to Jollity's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Thanks Steve, that provides a good starting point - I just have to translate it for none tech savvy -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It's the same here, timeouts - thought it was just me -
iOS 13 and HTTPS Inspection
caffrey replied to Jollity's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Thanks again for being so honest. We get so many different devices brought in too ranging from Amazon fire tablets to nexus 7s - android is getting more difficult to get on the filtering. The whole thing is hugely frustrating - especially compounded by new changes in new versions of device OS (different instructions for different versions etc.) I'm fed up of it all ! Our department doesn't get a lot of support from SLT about it either, but I'm going to attempt to draught a document highlighting all the issues. -
iOS 13 and HTTPS Inspection
caffrey replied to Jollity's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
BYOD is becoming quite untenable isn't it - the amount of time we waste installing these certificates. We've made posters on how to do it but still it's a huge time sink as people just don't get it. I also find that the kids are very suspicious of the certificate (And rightly so) and disable it Not sure on the future of BYOD -
I always use those Sahara things, ugly yes but they work
