-
Posts
304 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by JPS
-
I know it isnt what you're after but look at restructuring your directories - your 'schema' seems like madness. Simple abbreviations like TL for Teaching and Learning, Y10 instead of Year 10 etc.
-
Network Manager - Blackpool - closes 24/6/10
JPS replied to elsiegee40's topic in Educational IT Jobs
I've deleted my post, apologies. -
Its probably not good enough reason for you, but I have three main justifications 1) Its an Apple, and I personally think their products are more of a fashion accessory (an expensive one at that), 2) Android is an open os and can offer benefits such as multi-tasking and 3) is now being used across various products and by numerous manufacturers that surely this is where future developments are likely to take place, continual improvement and OTA updates.
-
lol - I'll second that. I'll be on the phone later to o2 for an upgrade and its gonna be android!
-
I think you should be careful using the words exposure and school in the same sentence. lol.
-
In a teachers drawers you will tend to always find.....
JPS replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
A key to the locked cupboard at the back of the classroom. -
An article from the IPO (Intellectual Property Office) "Is there a copyright exception for showing a video to school children? There is an exception to copyright that means that showing a video or DVD to school children may not need a licence from the copyright owners. Whether or not the exception applies will largely depend on the particular circumstances, including the purpose of the showing. The exception will only apply if certain conditions are met: The video/DVD must be shown in an educational establishment. An 'educational establishment' is defined in copyright law as including any school (colleges offering further or higher education and universities are also 'educational establishments'). 'School' has the meaning given by education legislation: in relation to England and Wales, the Education Act 1996; in relation to Scotland, the Education (Scotland) Act 1962 (including approved schools under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968); and, in relation to Northern Ireland, the Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1986. This could mean that play groups, holiday clubs and similar organisations may not fall within the definition of a school, and so may not count as an 'educational establishment'. The audience must consist only of the children, teachers and others connected with the activities of the school. This will not usually include parents, unless they are, for example, acting as a classroom assistant. The showing of the video/DVD must be for the purpose of instruction. Of course, there are some videos which are clearly educational and so will be instructional by themselves, but there are others whose main purpose is to entertain. These could still be used provided there is some instructional purpose. If the showing is used to initiate a discussion with a learning outcome, for example, this may be sufficient to meet this condition, but the showing of a video during a wet lunchtime only to entertain the pupils is unlikely to meet this condition." Here is the URL: Intellectual Property Office - Is there a copyright exception for showing a video to school children? Hope this helps
-
Hi all As a recent member to edugeek and equally to forums in general I am enjoying reading various posts and learning a lot at the same time but where I stumble is peoples use of acronyms. My knowledge of IT related ones is reasonable its just general chat/forum posting acronyms that confuse me. Could anyone advise on a location of a list of acronyms explained or if you're really bored post a few in reply. Thanks
-
Er, isnt that a smaller version of the Big Mac, I refer to it as a cheeseburger.
-
JSUK is pending, so nearly there. I've had a problem with JSUK. Please ignore this team, apparently it was invalid! However JPSUK is looking good!
-
At my last school we had users with rather a lot of PSD files (Graphics Dept).
-
Edited as requested.
-
To be fair I cannot remember my source, it is possible I was reading an article in the TES. Apologies if I am not factually correct but am pretty sure I heard/read it somewhere.
-
It is under review, I would not be surprised if it ceases and a new project is put in its place (my opinion, not fact!) I think that depending on how far along the process your school is will depend on whether it goes ahead. We have started digging (making plenty of noise outside my office!) so we are far enough along the way for the project to continue.
-
I feel left out, all I have is an advert for PC World's sale!
-
Hi Mic I am well, now at a school in London (Sir John Cass) as their Data Manager. I am afraid I cannot get away from Facility! ~~~~~~ I can too, fully recommend a local copy of your database and ePortal so that you can do anything and not worry about its impact!
-
5 years experience of operating Facility, across 3 schools each in different LAs and working for Serco in Support and later on Implementation teams. Anything I can help with just let me know.
-
Hi guys I'm up for renewing my mobile (BB 9000) and have seen reviews of the Dell Streak but not yet seen it in the flesh. Has anyone taken the plunge? Any recommendations for or against it? JPS:confused:
-
Connecting Blackberry to Exchange Without BES
JPS replied to thesk8rjesus's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Check out Astrasync - a free trial for 30 days (i'm fairly sure this is correct time period) and then $49 a year. AstraSync - BlackBerry ActiveSync Compatibility - Sync BlackBerry -
Dont be so gullible - you'll never lose OfSted inspections! They just might be less frequent. Anyway, should a school be judged as Outstanding purely based on data??
-
ABTutor is very good. Love locking the screens. Suddenly all eyes upon the teacher!
-
The values separating the results relate to that criterias map value. This can be seen in the Assessment templates section of the Assessment module. You may want to then refer to the assesscriteria table Hope this helps.
-
Apologies, but I just speak my mind. I appreciate it is only my opinion. Facility is able to create a CTF for another application without any leaving date specified.
-
[CMIS] Making temp changes to the timetable with out using cover
JPS replied to robk's topic in MIS Systems
It depends how much data you are changing. Perhaps if its one or two teachers who are absent it isnt too much of a job. With a little more background to the situation I may be able to advise.
