-
Posts
678 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by RobD
-
Direct Access is going, being replaced with Always on VPN: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-access/vpn/always-on-vpn/always-on-vpn-technology-overview
-
Yeah I know but it was more obvious in a private school, the fees are on the website. With comprehensives and academies, I've never really thought about how they work out how much cash to give a school.....not my finest moment (maybe could of missed that bit out of the thread). Had a look for a thread but couldnt see anything, someone feel free to merge.
-
Anyone watch the TV program on BBC two last night called School? Last night it was about a School in Gloucestershire called Marlwood. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0brj5df Good program, they didnt mention the support staff at all but as it was a Acadamy I'm guessing they're central??? I only worked in private schools (went to a comp in my youth) so it was a bit of an eye opener, I also dont think I'd ever really accociated children with money.
-
Server 2012 has not installed updates in quite some time
RobD replied to talksr's topic in Windows Server 2012
You could pull the update down from WSUS again: net stop wuauserv REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f cd %SystemRoot% del /Q SoftwareDistribution del WindowsUpdate.log GPupdate /force net start wuauserv wuauclt /resetauthorization wuauclt /scannow wuauclt /detectnow wuauclt /ReportNow -
Server 2012 has not installed updates in quite some time
RobD replied to talksr's topic in Windows Server 2012
Try and download and install the update manually: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=a0b55c60-a629-4d84-a0e5-149bce258fbc Then force a gpupdate to the WSUS server and see if anything else comes down. -
Yep, use service accounts with least amount of access needed. Its a pain but I'd say the correct way to do it in my opinion.
-
If you're having a room full of kit, make sure there's no windows in the room and has AC. Also check what the building is made of, we had a new building recently that had stone cladding on the front which required a metal mesh to support it. The metal mesh meant that every room acted like a faraday cage, so no wireless or mobile signal.
-
Software to obtain serial numbers or service Tags on our network
RobD replied to superatticman's topic in Hardware
PDQ Inventory or LanSweeper. -
Off to look at a used VW Golf later - how much discount should I ask for?
RobD replied to kennysarmy's topic in General Chat
We had to buy a car recently due to my wifes car being written off. We had cash from the insurance but the dealers just wouldnt budge on the price at all, not even a small discount. We walked away a few times but they really didnt seem interested. -
I use them on a pretty daily basis. As Mavhc has said throughput is the difference...we use flexconnect on our APs so everything is switched locally meaning only management traffic talks back to the controller. I've also noticed you cant do Application monitoring as you could on physical controllers "This feature is not supported by this controller in this release".
-
If they can afford them then get Cisco.....the SG models are good for smaller businesses.
-
How can I gpupdate /force /boot multiple remote computers?
RobD replied to talksr's topic in Learning Network Manager
I've not used it in a few years but this used to do the job: https://specopssoft.com/product/specops-gpupdate/ -
[VMware ESX] Server CPU Resource Allocations - Confused
RobD replied to CHiLL's topic in Enterprise Software
Here's what I would do; Assign each server with one core and 2 VCPUs then leave them for a period of time and take a look at the performance of the server. If its suffering then add more vcpus and then more sockets. I've not watched this all but looks pretty good guide to give you an idea on what to look for: -
Just for info when you enable layer 3 mode on a SG300 it wipes the entire switch so make sure you have a backup first!
-
When it connects is it connecting on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? When it goes can you use a wifi scanner to see if its missing on both frequencies?
-
I was in the same boat, did my Cisco Wireless cert, was excellent.
-
Have you tried just changing a user name? The SIDs will stay the same so permissions shouldn't be an issue but I don't think the user folders will change names.
-
I was a scout and had a Swiss army knife, had it for xmas from my folks and manged to pierce a 2L bottle of coke trying to take the label off....
-
I did my CCNA through self study it was long and arduous but totally worth it in my opinion. In fact probably the best course I've ever done. Just finished my CCNA Wireless and did VMware last year both through QA. Really good courses and the exams really enforce the learning (for me at least).
-
Makes sense to me, if they can stretch to a 2 or 4 bay NAS then I'd recommend that and backup to the Win7 machine.
-
If you don't enforce TLS then the other end wont lookup a cert but it does mean all your mail would send unauthenticated. You could test the TLS with your current cert but sending mail as @DebEnhamhighschool.suffolk.sch.uk to see if mail flows?
-
It'll be a mismatch between debenhamhigh.co.uk and debenhamhighschool.suffolk.sch.uk. Do you have a wildcard for debenhamhigh.co.uk you can apply??
-
Its definitely related to your certificates, check your server names that it matches the wildcard: *debenhamhighschool.suffolk.sch.uk Also a banner issue: fix should be here: https://blog.mxtoolbox.com/2010/03/22/what-does-the-warning-reverse-dns-does-not-match-smtp-banner-mean-smtp-diagnostic-tool/
-
Core switch - Load balancing across default gateways
RobD replied to Norphy's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Very true and in fact we have issues with tromboning unless we change routes else where. Routing protocol is defiantly the best option really. -
Core switch - Load balancing across default gateways
RobD replied to Norphy's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
We have a similar setup with HSRP, basically create a virtual IP that sits between the two IPS, if one goes down it will route to the second. If you're not Cisco then you could setup vrrp.
