Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

skell

Members
  • Posts

    585
  • Joined

Everything posted by skell

  1. Hi all I'm having problems installing iTALC 1.0.11 using a startup script. It doesn't error out or anything, it just doesn't install it. It doesn't install it when I manually execute the batch file either. The command is \\UNC\setup.exe \\UNC\installsettings.xml I was able to install it this way with 1.0.9, skipped 1.0.10 due to the mouse freeze bug. Anyone any ideas? Or another way to automate the install?
  2. Websense blocks it.
  3. So we're all in agreement? There is a loose connection inside the laptop?
  4. Its not the device connected noise? And then three beeps indicating it has a problem and can't connect? OR Maybe its developed its own intelligence and is trying to communicate with you? Morse code perhaps?
  5. Anyone know if its possible to customise an RSS ticker with html? I want to add line breaks to an rss feed which is coming from a Wordpress install on site!
  6. Pretty sure. Can't do any harm to try it.
  7. If you run a WSUS server, its classed as a Feature Pack, just to let you know.
  8. Have you installed this update? Download details: Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows XP (KB943729)
  9. No no no, it really isn't that bad. If I described it to you, it would sound 100x worse than it actually is. Put it this way, if I had to have it done again, I would.
  10. Can't you set the broken shortcut to be deleted by GPP and then added again by GPP?
  11. I highly recommend laser eye surgery! One of the best things I ever did!
  12. This. We're only consulted if they need a new PC or printer. Some software is bought without consulting us and they moan when we say we can only install it on one PC when they wanted it on 10. I'd love to be consulted or at least informed when something like structural work is taking place. Maybe we want to lay a cable or something, or want to tell you how it will disrupt the (already poor) Wi-Fi signal if you put up that there!
  13. No he hasn't justified it yet, and they aren't supposed to be able to do what they want with money, especially when it comes to buying IT equipment. Sigh.
  14. Would love to give him a netbook! He wouldn't know what he was doing with it if he got what he wanted, and he actually wants three of them! If he gets what he wants I might accidentally order two more, one for me and one for my boss and bill the art department for them. I'm sure he wouldn't mind!
  15. Having no experience with the DivX encoder, I couldn't tell you how long it should take. However, just had a look on the Aldi website and the specs say it plays MPEG4. I would use HandBrake to encode the DVD and see if it plays. I would select to encode it with MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) (under the video tab) which uses the older part 2 codec.
  16. I am. I realise £4k isn't much to work with, but I figured it might be a good starting point. SAN is new territory for me so I'm not sure what I should be looking for, or its even possible to find a solution capable of what we would like it to do! @Tallwood_6 If you don't think £4k is enough, please let me know what we would need to spend on a capable SAN solution for our needs. To answer some of your questions, the whole budget would be going on the SAN; we have already set aside money for operating systems, backup solutions etc. We'll be buying extra storage capacity for backups and an extra gigabyte switch with a fibre link to the rest of our network.
  17. He hasn't even started yet! I too am not keen on staff laying out specs to me, especially when he got them from his "teccy" friend (his words). I want to find out what he wants it for, then suggest a resonable spec.
  18. Strangely, our new Head of Art just requested the following PC: Athlon (Quad Core) 955 Phenom II Performance Power Supply Case with good Cooling - tower case Graphics, ATI top-end HD series 1 gig card Sata II hard drive fast spin speed or SCII hard drive 26" Iiyama top-end monitor Up until now, we only have one workstation in the school with a quad core CPU *cough* mine *cough* but this machine blows this one out of the water. The stupid thing is that I have no idea what he wants it for yet. I sincerely doubt he needs something this powerful. At the other end of the scale, we've also just bought an Acer Revo 3160 for one our accountants which was £200. Fantastic for what she uses it for. The rest of our machines are mostly Pentium 4's, (some of which have hyper threading!) and Athlon 64's. We've slowly replaced some of the older ones with Pentium Dual cores, which again are cheap and get the job done. We consider these to last at least 4 years, barring component failure. I would consider replacing our existing IT suites with Core i5's as the machines in there haven't changed in 5 years and are starting to chug. As ZeroHour said, it depends on the refurb cycle and what they're going to be used for. Generally, in our case anyway, more RAM will help speed up a machine more than a multi-core system would.
  19. @localzuk What spec is your Overland kit and do you run any VM's off it?
  20. Hi guys Could anyone recommend me a cheap(ish) iSCSI SAN? We're looking to run around 10 Hyper-V VM's off it as well as using it for general storage access for students and staff. 4 TB of storage would be the absolute minimum. Probably a budget of £4000. Thanks!
  21. Not sure of any *free* programs that would do this, but we use the PCI Vendor and Device Lists to get information about hardware that is "Unknown" to Windows. The PCI codes can be found under the details tab of a device in Device Manager. Personally I wouldn't use an automatic driver installer. I believe this job is best done manually.
  22. ...trying to install Windows XP on an Acer R3160 nettop. Kept getting stuck at "Completing Installation". Been at it since 9:00am. Finally cracked it when I realised I DID have a vanillia XP SP3 disc. Sigh...
  23. Which would you say was a better way to deploy them then? Per user or per machine? We use per machine just because it seemed easier to do it this way!
  24. Ah, that explains why we couldn't get it to work. We deploy ours per machine, not per user. When we deployed them via GPP it completely bypassed the print server and connected directly. Thanks for the clarifications and apologies for the mis-advice.
  25. Create a blank GPO. Name it something like "Staff Room Printer". Open up the Print Management MMC Right click on the printer you want to deploy. Click on Deploy with Group Policy Select the blank GPO you just made Set per user or per computer and click OK Assign the GPO accordingly As I stated, and as you correctly asserted, you cannot use Group Policy Preferences to deploy printers through a print server.
×
×
  • Create New...