Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Liam

Members
  • Posts

    922
  • Joined

Everything posted by Liam

  1. If it’s for remote access I’m sure there is a charge. It’s such a grey area MS licensing. I’m sure my staff were covered but I had to pay for licensing cals for student to be able to use remote facilities!
  2. Been through this. It’s important to get other structures ready as mentioned above. I merged two sites together using azure vpns and an additional ADDS server. I then started the process of email migration. I did it using the blob storage export / import method. I would consider a third party the next time I do it. All uses have aliases of old addresses but we all Have a new domain now and our pupils become a sub domain of that to help with differentiation . We did move to windows ten at the time so outlook didn’t really cause issues. Have fun! Oh worth noting that I use salamander for all user management and office 365 licensing. Made my life so much easier.
  3. I’m still struggling with folder redirection. I’m thinking it’s permissions. I have checked fsrm
  4. I bet I bloody am! I enforced a crypto setting in fsrm
  5. Ah..... I could be you know! I’ll check now.. I used to do that for work folders
  6. No not usually. Although I remember it used to do this with work folders as it was trying to create a file and couldn’t . I can’t remember what it was but I remember it renamed the work folders and I had to create a docs subfolder. I’m convinced it’s a desktop.ini issue though. So kind of permissions I assume
  7. Yes - i always disable that and grant the user excludive rights. I just dont know why it hangs for ten seconds. Im thinking its some sort of permission issue .
  8. I have it to ten seconds now with ssd. the black screen lasts about a second and half and you see the stubpath stuff running. I have found that if i felete too much from stub path it signifitcatly slows this proces down so i am being careful what i delete now. Wifi devices are 25 seconds. Folder redirection is still far too long. If this was quicker it would be so much better - - - Updated - - - I stripped out of the the 'crap' from the wim directly too. This made a difference from doing it any other way
  9. So i have significant reduced this now with a desktopswitchtimeout entry and deleting some stubpath settings The next thing casuing the delay if folder redirection for start menu's. Its about ten seconds. If i can nail that i think i have it to about 13 seconds on first login.
  10. Your dpo should tell you what to do though.
  11. Permissions , email encryption , maybe some dlp’s
  12. Liam

    Voting solution

    We use forms for everything now already. this was my initial suggestion too.
  13. I’m looking at the possibility of introducing an electronic voting system for staff voice etc during cpd. Anyone have any suggestions. There are app ones from mobiles devices etc but ideally the head would like a dedicated system with handheld devices. Thanks Liam
  14. Is the client not promoting them? Have you disabled the option? Any scripst overriding anything? Is papercut managing everything - in terms of logging etc
  15. Id be interested in this.. I cant deal with slow logins anymore.
  16. Im aware that this has been covered many times before but has anyone actually managed to reduce the time it takes to log a windows 10 machine in. It seems that computers process the user group policy settings quickly and then hang on 'Preparing Windows'. As you may already know, if you press ctrl alt del and press escape it kills whatever process is running and presents the desktop. Surely there is a way to speed this up? its just not good enough that we cannot control this. Im using LTSB too so all the 'crap' is stripped out already so its not that its preparing the apps etc. Subsequent logins are quick subject to having the profile on the pc but they clear periodically. Is this just what we need to expect now? I think MS assume everyone has their own device, but the reality in education is quite different. Teaching and learning cannot wait as they say and i really need to try and improve things here. I wouldnt mind, but its not that its slow slow. Its just not as quick as the 6 seconds i had it down to in Windows 7. The only plus of Windows 10 is that its pretty reliable and we dont seem to get OS failures etc like we did in WIn 7
  17. Hm, not something to do with conflicting drive letters? What does rsop say?
  18. Can you ping the file server host? Sounds like a routing issue! Any acl’s?
  19. I don’t think this is possible. You would probably need to consider using an alternative version of windows. Perhaps speak with your line manager about it .
  20. Just use group policy or redirect a start menu.
  21. Do you get any error codes / checked event viewer?
  22. Tried the service? What has changed ?
  23. So is dns not working internally then?
  24. Host file? C drive have space left? Who’s logged in?
  25. Rap rules in rd manager . You can create multiple ones.
×
×
  • Create New...