Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Liam

Members
  • Posts

    922
  • Joined

Everything posted by Liam

  1. Has anyone experienced issues with outlook and office 365 -specifically outlook stops connecting and just hangs until the user reboots. Really random with no patterns. Maybe twice a week a user will call to say 'emails are broken' when in actual fact they're not because owa works but outlook seems to fail to connect. We use adfs and the mailbox is configured automatically via group policy settings. Any ideas?
  2. yes, although initially there was some concerns about them not being 'compatible' but i quickly cleared that one up. They arent dedicated epos machines granted but they are about half the cost and have been bullett proof since we started using them at the start of term and no complaints.. must add that we now use idstore too and its much slicker. Free upgrade i believe.
  3. I use all my own equipment as of this year and I got the info off here actually I'm sure it was @localzuk if memory serves. Best thing we did and guess what we saved about 8k. Everything from a simple configuration change to a full hardware refresh just seems to cost the earth. I went for the touch devices from verypc. Not an issue so far and the canters staff are more than happy.
  4. Did you get to the bottom of this?
  5. I get this message in internet explorer! How strange. anyone had this?
  6. Thanks very much maybe I missed that then. I'll give it a whirl in the morning. Makes things a little more simple. Cheers
  7. Just looking at this now but where do you set the do not include in statutory reporting and the SWR box? Am I missing something? Permission to do so maybe? I'm the system manager so I may need to just tweak permission. Returns manager? Thanks
  8. We publish their timetable from sims using command reporter , all duties are on there and is very personal to that user. We also have the current day extra curric timetable . We link to various apis for things like rewards (we use epraise) ours is very user/group personal. Internally developed system that we call portal.
  9. Think about why you are doing it in the first place? What are your reasons? Iv done things like cctv, cashless, data, telephony and byod. Often people vlan and it just causes more issues becuse they rushed into it. Documentation is key. There are loads of threads on here about it
  10. Plan plan and plan!!
  11. Same here.. I have software restriction policies in place to prevent it with other software like impero and they can't even access that as we limit it at server level too. @IT24. If your school does use impero you should ask the tech support team about the free rooms/computer feature. At least that way you won't need sims..correction ...should not be using sims
  12. Anyone know how to disable the chat functionality in ms classroom or office groups? Is it even possible? Thanks
  13. Quite worrying that one really! Pretty confident it's not one of mine!! Thankfully!
  14. I would have to completely disagree. I assume that all your staff are suitabley trained to use impero then? Even those grads that have booked in ICT room to do some typing up or research? From experience i know how difficult it is to get teachers to buy into many solutions and impero is one of them. Only a hand full of staff use ir properly here. They use it to demo, lock screen, prevent internet, mute sound, enforce white/blacklists and yes If they do see a violation in the lesson they will deal with it. That being said, there are 50 other teachers that may have never used it depite me offering training on many occasions. You said your self in an earlier post that if its missed in that lesson then you have failed safeguarding! I can't possibly comment on how your school do it, but surely statistics provide enough information to backup the argument that ICT teams and teachers should not be responsible.
  15. Yes that's what I thought and that's what I'm trying to achieve.
  16. Anyway I only asked for who did it. Each school will be different. That's why I'm asking.
  17. Yes of course I'm not saying that. Staff will know enough to be able to make a judgement call but I'm also sure that many teachers would argue they don't have the time during a lesson to ensure nothing untoward is happening. Well certainly at my place of work anyway. If that's the case then why we we spend money on filters? Should be say well here's your unfiltered internet connection . it's fine because the teacher will manage the class and the students can be trusted not to misbehave. Its the same thing right? I support your argument that the teacher should have overall control of their class but I don't think a level on control and responsibility to ensure it doesn't happen.. but the saying 'it could happen here' tells me that we have to be more vigilant
  18. Yea but even teachers are unaware of some of the more confidential issues ?
  19. What if it's not a behavioural issue though but a cry for help? The teacher may not be privy to some of the more sensitive issues in their lives. I get that the teacher is responsible for them playing on games when they should be on task etc.
  20. Is that how you do it at your school? What do you use for classroom management ?
  21. Oh I certainly agree there is a level of responsibility on the teacher but they can't possibly watch everyone at once, nor be expected to review any alerts during a lesson. Right?
  22. Recently made some changes to try and involve the pastoral team. I think it was a good idea as they know the kids better than me. Just wondering how others do it. I bet that it falls under the responsibility of most Ict teams out there as it's software but I don't think we are the right people. I know there are third party companies but I can't justify the cost when I already have impero and it's part of the sub. Thanks Liam
  23. Also got a home utm appliance though running on a vm
  24. Yup same here.. formally essentials in earlier versions but Iv always used it
×
×
  • Create New...