Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. Try the gamers favourite - TeamSpeak Easily setup and you can add as many channels as you like. It would also be possible to link to other schools that install it too. Best of all - it's free and very simple for kids to use.
  2. Thanks Dave - it's about time you appeared I don't suppose you have a job description for any of those roles do you? In a secondary school the password changing would not be such an issue as we'd probably tie that in with AD for the students and possibly for the courses as well seeing as our population is not as fluid as yours is.
  3. lol - sorry Having said that I'm only guessing it could be more or even less, trying to find some sort of guidence on this is not easy - it's one of those new developements that doesn't quite fit into any specific catagory. It would be nice to hear from anyone doing the job though - come on I know you're out there
  4. SO1/SO2 is around the 22K mark I believe but I'm only using that grade as a base it could be lower depending on what the job description entails. For example the SMT may decide that a web technician is all that is required and one of the teaching staff be the coordinator. That is why I'm probing for info
  5. Oops - sorry - misread the original post.
  6. There's an option in Tools somewhere - I have it at home and used the help to find it. At work at the mo using IE6 so can't be more specific - sorry.
  7. I'd agree with that for large colleges and Universities, but would be hard to justify in a secondary school with 1000 students. Full time at any rate Maybe sharing such individuals with other educational establishments could be the answer - I don't know. For planning/discussion clarity at this stage I'm assuming it would be one individual on a full time basis.
  8. It depends on what area you work in - our school is on the end of the list - years away.
  9. The way I imagine the post is that we would need someone with T&L experience, preferably over several subject areas, with a good working knowledge of web apps and developement software such as Flash etc who would be able to liaise with teaching staff to discuss content and then be able to demonstrate the finished product. I may be looking for too much there, hence the original question - what are others doing? Would such a content Manager be expecting a salary around the SO1/SO2 range?
  10. Thanks webman - that would be a great help.
  11. lol - there's no escaping Capita - they get everywhere Nice one !!
  12. Try deleting his 'NTuser.dat' file from his profile - we find this usually solves odd little problems like this - it wont do any harm and may save you a lot of time.
  13. My SMT is looking at future developments one aspect of which is the school VLE and the possible impact on the IT staff to maintain and update it. I've been asked to find out what sort of manpower requirements would be required to run and maintain a VLE together with the web site. We have approx 1000 students and also run Science Technician courses with a possibility of running other courses in the future. Basically what I need is an idea what sort of qualifications would we be looking for and a ball park figure for a salary. For the VLE element I would imagine some sort of teaching experience. I know some colleges and universities have dedicated individuals or in some cases, teams that solely look after web site elements and VLEs leaving teaching staff more time to teach. Any pointers would be appreciated and if anyone has a job description for a content manager/technician I could look at, that would be great.
  14. alan-d

    nix noob needs help

    The second option
  15. alan-d

    nix noob needs help

    chmod seemed to work (after including the .sh ext) but the following just said 'command not found' Going to start from scratch in the morning with a fresh head - if that still fails I'll load the apps with the distro. (Whichever that one will be )
  16. Who'd have thought that Rounders could be so popular
  17. alan-d

    nix noob needs help

    I know but as I'm learning everything from scratch I wanted to do it all manually. I could have installed MySQL the same way with fedora. At this rate I may give in and do it that way or as suggested and use Ubuntu. I've already used XAMPP to install moodle on a Win XP laptop which works well but we are trying to keep costs down by using Linux.
  18. alan-d

    nix noob needs help

    Thanks for the link - looks useful. I've tried Mandriva but had the same problem as above so using fedora as that is what the book refers to. We will probably use ubuntu eventually but I thought it may be easier getting to grips with everthing if the book & OS spoke the same language
  19. Never used Linux before I'm trying to set up a test server using fedora 5 so I can install moodle for the science department to try out. I've installed Fedora ok (text mode) and am now trying to install MySQL, Apache & PHP but have become stuck at the first hurdle. I'm using the CD from SAMs Teach yourself PHP,Apache & MySQL as the SQL version is newer and the instructions are usually easy to follow. Everything is fine until I get to the part of finishing the installation and starting the MySQL server. The book tells me to type in scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql but all I get is 'No such file or directory' even though I can see it in the scripts directory. I've tried running it directly from the scripts folder but get 'command not found' Obviously the book is out of sync with fedora 5, so can anyone throw some light on this and what I should try?
  20. @ Russ - sorry I started a new thread before I found this one - can you tag this thread http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4748 to this one
  21. OK so far I'm hearing that costs are high and the sales reps are pushy, however I'm not hearing much about the system itself. Is it any good? I suspect the answer is yes, but the big niggle I have at the moment is there is very little info from the TALMOS web site - the screenshots alone are only postage stamps To be fair my ICT Coord is sceptical about it but is tasked with looking into it further. Pushy salesman I can deal with (eat em for breakfast ), however if the system is right for us and a reasonable price negotiated, what technical issues should I look out for and raise questions about?
  22. All info would be gratefully received - apparently we have a meeting with a rep after the half term break. I'd like to be as armed as possible pm or email me details if they are unfit for public consumption @thom - yes please
  23. Ooops - sorry - missed that thread http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2757&highlight=TALMOS
  24. Our ICT Co-ord attended a presentaton for TALMOS (teaching and management Open System) Anyone used it / is using it? Any comments or things I should look out for? Apart from cost - is there any reason I should use it instead of moodle?
  25. It happens to us all - a few months ago I had a problem with media Player - certain I'd seen something about it on edugeek I did a search and found the solution. nothing wrong in that I hear you say - well the author of the solution was me :oops:
×
×
  • Create New...