Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. You mean like us using your helpdesk? lol (*This poster is now out of office*)
  2. I think we are getting all the snow that we missed out on last year Typical Council - late with everything
  3. Snowflakes are getting bigger and more numerous now - I'm not sure how long this reporter can broadcast for - it's really coming down now - further reports will follow unless I get buried 8O
  4. We have a similar situation to manic only with 41 AP and 200 laptops - and yes they still want to move them from one end of the school to the other We've managed to get the users to stagger logins which helps a lot.
  5. alan-d

    ID cards

    I'm not against ID cards as such - only the amount of information contained in them.
  6. Eeerrmm this is spooky - I'm at Sutton Girls Grammar 8O i go pass there every day to get to work, well it is a small world and if you ever need a lift, give me shout. dee which route do you take i head through sandwell Ditto! I pass through Bilston everyday Through Bilston to Wednesbury > J9 > Walsall (Broadway) > Streetly > Chester Road > Jockey Road - On average 40 mins give or take.
  7. I was tempted to put that on the staff room notice board but then thought I'd better not. They would take it literally
  8. Just improving my eyesight sir!! http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/104062/video-games-are-good-for-the-eyes-research.html
  9. Eeerrmm this is spooky - I'm at Sutton Girls Grammar 8O i go pass there every day to get to work, well it is a small world and if you ever need a lift, give me shout. dee Ditto! I pass through Bilston everyday
  10. We are looking at getting NetSupport Manager/School with the option of adding the DNS and Helpdesk modules onto it.
  11. Eeerrmm this is spooky - I'm at Sutton Girls Grammar 8O
  12. We have the same problems when 30+ log in in one room. We are reconfiguring all our access points to use just the 3 channels and jigging them about a bit, more to satisfy the users that we are trying something to improve it. We are under no illusions that it will work any better, but it shows we are trying I've deliberately missed off increasing the number of laptops in the development plan for next year
  13. I'm in Lanesfield (Nr Bilston/Coseley) came back from dropping the wife off and the street is covered in Snow already.
  14. I'm in Wolverhampton and there isn't much about I suspect they closed them with a view to more snow later today. I gritted my street last night (I live at the top of a steep cul-de-sac) so I could get out this morning - de-iced my car and was just about to leave when I got the call Now I've got to take the wife to work
  15. We did think about using a PDA - syncronised as the alarm went off, but that assumes the servers are up and running and is also fiddly when using it in daylight. It was the general concensus that the paper trail was quicker and easier to administer. The admin staff just pick up the lists and signing in/out book then distribute the lists to form heads outside. Works very well and is just as accurate as the electronic version.
  16. Going to be using Moodle from Easter.
  17. Just in case anyone has just crawled out from under a Rock. All Birmingham, Solihull and Dudley schools are closed (Thu 8 Jan) due to snow. A full list is HERE I'm now off to build a snowman
  18. We have them printed at the start of the day after 1st registration. Any students leaving the school after that have to sign out and any late arrivals have to sign in.
  19. we have; ICT Cooord - figurehead for all things ICT - also assistant deputy head and create and maintains the timetables. Network Manager - Lord over all things technical, policy, security, procurement, budgets, Research & Development, Hitman etc etc etc Over Admin and Curriculum Networks Senior Tech/Admin Network Manager - Runs the Admin network on a day to day basis, assists in Research and Development and looks after the trainee by hiding him from the Hitman. Senior Technician - Responsible for Asset management and curriculum network, also hides trainee from Hitman. Junior Tech/Trainee - Does as he's told :twisted:
  20. That's what we are doing, but using full MySQL and Apache etc with e107 as the Intranet pages. With e107 you can set a timer for news items to appear and change which helps reduce admin time. You can also grant permissions for staff to make there own announcements.
  21. or just put down a deposit on This
  22. Could be useful for a cybercafe setup for the 6th form too
  23. Surely the student toilets would be safer?! 8O Well I know one of our regular posters here from Brum has his server/ICT support room in an old converted toilet area. At one point they had a blockage in the sewerage system. Guess where the raw sewerage came out.....! .....that's been fixed but it still rains on apeo through the window As for blocking MSN or anything else - we just say it's BGFLs fault and most go away mumbling curses on them instead of us Don't worry eduabncs we've not given them your contact details. (yet!!!)
  24. Link has http:// twice
  25. A difficult one!! Apart from the big companies that give free Internet access with an install phone line (Talk Talk comes to mind) The only other thing I can think of which may be doable is to use cheap mobile phones (or equivilent technology) to give internet access when required.
×
×
  • Create New...