Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. We are dumping the tests anyway. It was found that the level was too low for our students and they got no benefit from it.
  2. I looked at a Moodle install to carry out both functions and decided against it. Eventually went for a Moodle install and a seperate CMS (e107) as the intranet. I can pm a link if you want to have a look.
  3. Have a look at Stone Computers, they do a range of small footprint PCs.
  4. lol
  5. Fantastic wonderful service! The best in the whole country! I need to lie down now!
  6. We divert to our exchange box and use OWA
  7. Trying to save myself some time here. I've been asked to provide a HTML editor for the students to use. Preferably wysiwyg, must be free and easy to deploy on a windows network. There are lots out there but which ones are you using? On a slightly different note. How do your students publish their web sites? Do you use an internal server or a free host somewhere? Pros and cons for both please. Ta
  8. Never used CC3 but Ranger wins on cost overall and from what limited knowledge I have of CC3, Ranger is easier to administer and configure to your requirements. We don't use either now, we went native last summer.
  9. Really? 8O Seriously though - Designing a site to specification is one thing but to do it badly is another. It would be like asking for Fish and Chips - how often do you ask for them to be cooked? I'm no web expert but 7 months to put together a moodle site of any description is disgusting.
  10. Sorry missed one :?
  11. 6 months of planning and testing various options by non web designers here has come up with not one but 2 sites which are far superior to those shown by mark. I'd be asking for a refund if you had to pay for it. Here are examples of ours and that is before we get around to tweaking the look and feel of it.
  12. We have a stock install of Apache, php and MySQL - and LDAP works well with moodle. Sometimes LAMP, WAMP and any other distro are not worth the bother. Happy to look at your php.ini and httpd.conf files - sometimes a fresh pair of eyes helps.
  13. Looked at This Thread and didn't find the answer. Our Head would like to have the 'Thought of the day' to come up on Teachers PCs and be acknowledged before they are able to open up SIMs to take the first register of the day. 1. Must work on Windows Network 2. Must not increase the login time 3. Must be able to target Staff only 4. Must not appear after registration time 5. Must be easily updateable on a daily basis by nice but dim admin clerks. 6. Must be free if possible. 7. Can be a Web app if necessary. Options 2 & 3 could be solved by just targeting specific PCs but I'm having no luck finding a solution to the rest. Any suggestions?
  14. I think most of us are waiting for new budget figures before we can order anything.
  15. What are the dates? Link to info?
  16. Is this your sneaky way of getting everyone to do your homework again? 1. Ease of Use for all users from Admin to students. 2. Minimal cost implications. 3. Access to create and use resources. 4. Intergration with current and upcoming technologies (Just to start the ball rolling )
  17. Just a thought but couldn't you set up LDAP to authenticate from multiple servers? ie one from each location?
  18. You may want to rewrite the job description to include more detail. For a network manager it's a bit basic as it stands. As Wes says, SO1/SO2 should be the norm - enhancing the Job Description would help your case.
  19. OK did that. Now I'm back at square 1. The user gets kicked out of the new Course Admin role after logging off. One thing I noticed was that when deleting the course creator role it stated that there were still 7 users assigned to it even though the admin pages listed none. Any other ideas?
  20. I'm not sure what you mean by 'remove the course creator role. Do you mean delete it from moodle via the admin >define roles page then edit the above code to read if ($creatorroles = get_roles_with_capability('moodle/legacy:course_admin', CAP_ALLOW) ) { You may have guessed that scripty things are not my strong point
  21. Yep Just created an identical role called Course-Admin - and that works perfectly. Even with legacy roles selected. All I need to work out now is what I need to edit so when my course creators log in for the first time they are assigned the Course admin role instead of the Course creator role? I can try and sort out the course creator role out when I have more time
  22. Upgraded to 1.8 beta and the problem is still there. Next option is to create a similar role to replace Course creator and see if that works. @ Geoff - I saw that, but it made no difference.
  23. That's right. Now the confession :oops: I forgot to create the teachers group in the Staff OU :oops: However - it's there now, and members added It's still kicking the member of staff out of the Course creator when logging off I'll upgrade to the 1.8 beta - at the risk of killing everything - I'll post the result .
  24. I just did that and .............. no change All the other roles seem to work fine. It's only the course creator that is causing the problem.
  25. It could be that :oops: At the moment it reads cn=teachers,ou-Staff,o=scgsnet does 'cn' need to read 'Course Creator' ? *Edit* I just tried with cn=Course creator and the user is still kicked out after logging off
×
×
  • Create New...