-
Posts
2,586 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by alan-d
-
Many Thanks
-
I thought I'd have a look at this on my test setup but I'm stuck! The Readme says: How do I do that on a windows box?
-
I didn't realise that could be done, I thought it was either on or off.
-
I take it you old farts have run out of steam and stopped posting then? Is it just me or do you find that you seem to forget things more and more? I set up a virtual server and installed moodle. Got distracted by other jobs and priorities etc and 3 months later decided to set up another test moodle site on our web server - completely forgot about the virtual one! Please tell me I'm not alone!
-
ICT Technician Solihull Birmingham area
alan-d replied to Steven_Cleaver's topic in Educational IT Jobs
You should get a good response to that. We recently recruited an AV Tech and a lot of the applicants we had would easily fulfil your needs. -
Sorry I know nothing about OS X other than it exists Can't you just forward mail sent to those accounts to the person you want to deal with them?
-
You've been working in schools too long :D
-
I have to admit to being a script idiot when it comes to Php (and anything else for that matter! ) but I'm happy to bash an existing mod (if that makes sense?) I'm in the middle of playing with a test setup so links to any useful mods used would be appreciated. We use 1.9 so some of the older ones may not work anyway. If it's from moodle.org just tell me the name, I'll find it I like the idea of an email box - maybe add a graphic to show how much allocated space they have left too? Did they say why they didn't like it?
-
Why would you want to?
-
Are you using a mod/hack for that or rewriting it yourselves?
-
Do any moodle users here use the My-Moodle option in their school? If so what are the benefits other than listing enrolled courses and adding a few blocks? Is it worth doing, if so what problems have you had to overcome?
-
Looking Good We didn't go the route of starting with 1 year group, we left it to individual teachers as to who they used it with. In some cases the sixth form, via feedback to the teacher on the site made suggestions of their own which helped a little too.
-
It was all done internally. The ICT Co-ord and a few keen members of staff taught themselves and visited other schools. This experience was then used to spread the word. For example a teacher would try out a quiz then show other staff members how it was created, how the results are collated and the benefits of being able to receive feedback from the students. Slowly but surely more staff are using the system, basic stuff at first but as they talk to each other and see demonstrations from other users become more confident in trying things out.
-
Thanks - I hadn't thought of that Edit* - On second thoughts that wouldn't work for us as sometimes we need to have the ability to hide a menu item. I guess what I'm looking for is some way of having the ability to customise the menu for different user groups such as teacher and students.
-
Is there a way of hiding a menu item until a user is logged on?
-
We have been using moodle properly now for 12 months and there are now around 120 courses on the system with more being added each week. The benefits are the additional modules available which most CMS systems don't have. This gives teaching staff more variations on how to put a subject across or assess how well a subject is being learnt. The largest hurdle was to get the teaching staff to use it, but once a few workshops were set up during inset days and having a dedicated contact person for all the teaching aspects of using moodle has made a huge difference. Ours is running on a Win 2003 box with full Php, Apache and MySQL and is linked via LDAP. We still have a lot of work to do on it such as connection with SIMS and editing the look and feel of it but overall the popularity of the system is growing and the kids like it too.
-
We used the Mathletics site last year with our year 7's and they loved it, so much so we won the National competition with 4 of our classes in the top 5 Availability of PCs and Laptops are essential.
-
Not a surprise really - they are already run by RM.
-
We'll be putting Ruckus to the test soon - with laptops, roaming profiles and the most annoying buildings and interference as you can get Will post after the results
-
We've thrown out better spec PCs than that
-
The post has now been filled. Thank you to all those that applied. There were some very good applicants and reducing the list to interview was not easy. Thanks
-
Zentek use Policy Central which picks up false positives for fun! We found that a large proportion of hits are down to YouTube, Google and MSN hotmail etc, not because the students or staff are doing anything they shouldn't but because the page they happen to be visiting contains a few choice words either on the page or within adverts.
-
Anyone else introduced this? I'm interested in the effects on the network - if any.
-
Been a long summer and half term. Interviewing for new tech today too. Roll on 4.00pm
-
It's rare for students to move form but if they do they keep the same username. This is one of the legacy policies we need to have another look at. We currently don't populate AD directly from SIMs, we use a CSV file to create the accounts once we have the correct rolls. Has anyone looked at or used the Salamander software ? Comments on this would be useful. Thanks for the input so far.
