-
Posts
2,586 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by alan-d
-
I think most of us on here have a VLE in one form or another. It is a basic requirement for schools now. A VLE should enable the storage and use of resources by staff and students from within the school and from home.
-
Our user names are year of entry- Form Letter - last 4 of UPN. (eg 09A1234) Do your login names just use firstname/surname or do you have a different method?
-
I'm looking to pick the brains of anyone running a setup like ours. Currently we have moodle 1.9 running from Apache, php and MySQL on a Windows 2003 server. Moodle user accounts are created and authenticated via LDAP, courses are created and populated manually. We now want to move a stage further and pull user information, courses, classes and timetables from SIMs into moodle automatically. Possibly even append the sims calendar to the moodle one. During my search on various forums I see it is possible to some degree, on *nix systems but I've yet to find anywhere running the same setup as us. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated
-
Same setup here too
-
10 virtual PCs on the server?
-
Sorry to hear that. How about leaving the basic package so users can download it and get the general feel of it. If they want to use the full version then apply for it either by the issue of a username & password and restricted download limit. It's been a while but I think OSCommerce allows you to do this. If not free then a small donation to the edugeek funds
-
If you mean Smartboards own projector then I wouldn't bother the bulbs are very expensive. We have just installed 3 Hitachi short throw projectors which are mounted on a wall bracket. Does the same thing and the bracket will hold other makes in the future.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
We had one that wouldn't boot from wol. We changed everything, ended up swapping the machine. Give Stone a ring, most of their kit comes with a 3 year warranty.
-
Anyone notice what the most popular forum was?
-
I love you too darling
-
The Padded Cell - where no one can hear you scream!!! yea yea ok - I'm going!
-
Only if you don't write on the walls with it
-
Hey Grommit - look over there---------> A Squirrel!! To anyone who does not listen to any adverts on BRMB radio - this will mean absolutely nothing.
-
Not really a FFS so put it here: I informed all teaching staff by email about a link to a revision planner site (probably picked it up from this site). Many Staff said thanks but one individual (SMT) took it further. Welcome to the Twilight Zone! Email to Staff: I came across this web site MyRevisionPlan which you may find to be of use to students. Individual to me: {name], this looks interesting. I am unclear as to the security of student data that might be uploaded and whether it remains with the school or is stored elsewhere. I would need to know this before we out it on our site, also, the admin. implications for [exams Officer]. Could you find out more please? Thanks. [name] I'm pretty sure I didn't mention anything about putting it on any site, but anyway, I reply: All data is stored off site, there are no links to the school. [exams officer] does not need to be involved at all as all exam dates are taken from the various examination boards directly. Students register themselves. I only mentioned it to staff as a possible alternative to aid students plan their revision if they felt it would help. Individuals reply: [name], Put it on the VLE as a link, it could prove of value to students planning their revision. Thanks. [name] Isn't that what I said in my original email? (Less the VLE link) Well I thought it was funny
-
It sounds like the vga port on the laptop is buggered! Do you have another laptop of the same model you could try with the same settings?
-
Have you looked at GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique ?
-
500 and still climbing here
-
Advice for projector and IWB in large school hall.
alan-d replied to Kyle's topic in How do you do....it?
If you want to use it as a IWB then a normal drop down screen, projector and a sympodium from Smart Technologies. -
That's how ours is done at the moment which is why we may switch to a CMS system, but to be fair, turnaround is usually no more than 2 days and is usually quicker.
-
We use e4education - Home - Professional school website design for ours at the moment which is hosted by them, however we may soon be changing to a more up to date format and hosting it ourselves. E4education have been good as far as we are concerned, any problems or amendments have been done quickly. We may even use them to build our new site if we like what they offer.
-
I can't disagree with the comments on Pay but as far as the job goes the incumbent has only one LM - me! AV and Multimedia are not widely used by staff as yet but it is increasing, so the post will evolve over time. It's a great opportunity for someone who is interested in that line of IT and as we have said in the advert - further training can be arranged. There will be some involvement with other aspects of IT too.
-
Policy Central Professional Entrprise Forensic Software hell
alan-d replied to tosca925's topic in Educational Software
We have it installed but it's not in full use yet. It seems to be working on all the PCs OK - we do have the IE Explorer crash but that was happening on PCs that didn't have PCE installed yet so I can't blame that. I now have it rolled out to all curriculum machines and in active mode for years 12 and 13. The rest of the school it is still running in stealth mode. Sorting out the false positives is time consuming at the moment as everything is reported to me. It's not perfect yet but so far it does what it's supposed to do. Forgot to add - we use the MSI provided which seems to be working fine. Deployed via GPO, not the PCE deployment tool. -
The Post we advertised for before the summer hols was not filled. The job spec has been revised and the post is now ready to be filled. Previous applicants can reapply if they wish. The job spec is attached. SUTTON COLDFIELD GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR GIRLS 'an outstanding and high attaining school' OFSTED 2008 A successful 11-18 selective school with Specialist Science College status 1000+ motivated girls with over 250 in the 6th form. Audio-visual/I.T. Technician APT and C Scale 3(Under LA review) 36.5 hours per week (08.00 to 16.00); All year. Actual salary range £15,153 - £16,217 p.a. * * Pay award pending Any training necessary will be provided. Further details and application forms available from the school. This is a revised post and previous applicants need to re-apply if they wish to be considered. Further details and application forms available from the school. Closing date: Friday 17th October 2008 An enhanced police check is essential for this post. Jockey Road, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands B73 5PT. Tel: 0121-354-1479 Fax: 0121-354-9418 [email protected]; Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls
-
We have a good setup fairly local you. If you want a demo or look then PM me. It was installed by Dolphin Media but could be done by any competent installer.
-
I watched it on TV last night (Traffic cops - or something). They were well freaked out. It took 6 people to hold one down so they could cuff her. It was on BBC1 at 9 last night.
