Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. I don't see how! Becta is only an advisory body it does not dictate policy - the government do! Becta does have its uses though. Since when does Becta allocate schools money?
  2. For me it would have to be a Game Keeper in the Lakes or Scotland. Out and about with my camera Otherwise - back to the building trade in one guise or another .
  3. This thread covers some of what you are after http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/37667-ie7-crashing-again.html
  4. Do you have Policy Central installed? If so search these forums for Policy Central.
  5. Nice one! Just a pity that Facebook is blocked by a lot of LEAs
  6. Those replies are shocking
  7. I agree with JamesB, B&W should only be used in moderation and if the subject allows it. For example you wouldn't take a rainbow shot in B&W as that would be pointless (in the main!) but an old guy playing chess in the park could well suit a B&W shot. Turning a bad photo into something else by converting it to B&W is bad practice. If anything the B&W shot should be of a better quality that any colour photo, in my humble opinion anyway
  8. There has to be a massive improvement in Internet availability in the UK with both hard wired and wireless systems before education could use cloud technology to the full. In addition educational software companies will need to do a lot of rewriting of programs to make full use of cloud computing. I can see a place for Cloud computing in the business world and personal use but there are limited uses in education at the moment, document storage and email will probably be used, VLEs would be used as they are now which technically are already within the realms of Cloud Computing. Security is a big issue, especially in light of Child Protection etc etc etc. The biggest concern is what happens when the host has a fault or the Internet is not available? There would need to be a local backup for such occurrences.
  9. Stay away from SkillsTrain. The number of times I had to send marked work back because they got the answers wrong was unbelievable. They don't really care as long as they have your money.
  10. :pound:Save it and trade it in for your next hair cut
  11. Apache, SQL, MySQL, Php, Java and Flash are probably a good place to start but the list is endless.
  12. I wouldn't say it was what or how many courses you have done. I think it's more of a case of knowing the subject very well and having a large portfolio of work and good references.
  13. That's not really an issue - ours runs on MS quite happily Going back to security - Hosting on BGFL will also give a little more protection as it is within the BCC Grid. Every little helps. I'm going to shut up now as I'm sounding like a Link2ICT Salesman - I'm not - but the Darkside is strong here
  14. Yes you can - just put in a change request signed by the HT. You can also use the web space already available to you with bgfl. If you take into account the time it will take you to learn and install a package and the cost for someone to host it it could well amount to more than £200. At the risk of being ostracized I would say the BGFL joomla package is right for your current situation. All you need do is swap a few images and add some content which is easily achievable by Sept, then you can tweak it over time to suit.
  15. It was a moment of weakness - honest! Psst - what pay you offering
  16. We used to use E4education who now have a CMS system. We now have our own Joomla site hosted internally.
  17. Once you have a grasp of the basics then it's fairly simple, there are a lot of joomla sites to refer to (Joomla.org being one). If you don't have a server to host the site then £200 isn't bad especially as all the initial installation is done for you so all you have to do is tweak it to what you want.
  18. I agree but I also find FF very slow to load initially compared to IE - once it's running it is fairly quick.
  19. From the lens normally not that it matters as most projectors will allow for some adjustment.
  20. Have a look in System Options - Network, have you filled in the correct info? If so then call it in to the service desk or ring forensic software directly.
  21. Ours updated automatically. We did have an issue with some machines reporting that they had updated to 3.0.0.8 via PCE but in fact were still on an old version. Forensic software fixed it remotely. So far all is well
  22. If one account gets currupted how do you fix it?
  23. Not 100% as I'm not near the paperwork but I think that SINA is all part of the Core package, I don't think you can split it off. We make use of the unlimited web space to store our school photo albums occassionally
×
×
  • Create New...