Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

RobC

Members
  • Posts

    391
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RobC

  1. We use a sheet of paper in each room, and a folder of booking sheets in my office for booking laptops (we have three) of LCD projectors (we only have four). I would love to move to an electronic system, but not every teacher has a computer in their room, and logon times are so slow that it's quicker to walk to the required room and write the booking in by hand than to log on & do it electronically. Maybe one day...
  2. @RussDev LLU = Local Loop Unbundling. It's not cable, because the BT copper is still being used, but the ISP gets to put their own DSLAM & associated kit into the BT exchange.
  3. Well, all our kit's Fujitsu, and I have to say that we have very few problems with it. All of our laptops work with no problems, except one which occasionally thows a fit if you close the lid while it's shutting down. To be honest, if their managed service contracts were like their kit, I'd be a very happy bunny.
  4. Well, the way I see it the only reason to keep the two networks separate is if the Network Manager is an idiot (and if you're on this site, I'm guessing that you're not!). As long as you have the technical skill and sense to ensure that everything is secured correctly then there is no reason why you should separate the networks. Aside from that is the logistical nightmare of running two networks - two sets of equipment & infrastructure to maintain, two AD structures, two sets of updates to be done... So unless there is some defining business reason for it, I would run one network for all. (And apologies if this post sounds a little angry. Its just too damn hot here!)
  5. Ahh, we can always wish... :twisted:
  6. If you were to promote it to a DC in the current network, it wouldn't be the only DC there so I would assume that if it dropped off the network, your main DC would still be running the show and wouldn't miss it.
  7. Funny, I'd actually thought of this the other day and wondered if it was possible.
  8. About five threads down in this forum... Printer Scripts Thread
  9. I find that removing the cartridge & cleaning the heads with Propan-2-ol (or something like that) does a good job of clearing the heads. Just put a reasonable amount on with cotton buds & let it soak in. When you put the carts back in, clean the heads a few times, although be prepared to go through a set of carts to get it working 100%. Best advice is to keep them turned off if they're not going to be used for a while, but turn them on and print a few pages every week or two. Rob.
  10. RobC

    Knightmare

    @Grumbledook I do believe I've got the complete set of Mysterious Cities of Gold on VCD somewhere. Might even be persuaded to give you a copy...
  11. Funny, poll's still open for me.
  12. Ok, how many people here own/use an iPaq or a Palm of some variety? Personally, I've got an old style H2215 with just the basics on it, which I use for Outlook/Exchange integration & holding reference aids/manuals as PDFs using Pocket Acrobat Reader (when it works!). So what does everyone else use?
  13. netsh firewall /? should give you all the command line options for the Windows Firewall. I use this method for adding ports & exceptions quickly. I think you can do a complete reset of the firewall this way. Only downside being, if the firewall's gone crazy, you may have to run it locally on each comp...
  14. @Russ Any word on whether the Specialist Schools Trust are going to give us their blessing?
  15. What you appear to be asking it is to Count a cell if it contains "=+". This will give an error, because you are trying to use a mathematical formula on two symbols. What is the actual criteria you are trying to count on?
  16. That would be great, but there's no reset button! All there is on it are two lights (status & activity), power input, parallel port, RJ45 network port and a TEST button which doesn't appear to actually do anything. And to think that at one time I liked HP kit...
  17. OK, does anyone have ANY idea how to reset one of these B£&$ard things? Basically, we have one running an HP 1220c A3 printer in Technical which appears to be swallowing print jobs. I always have problems getting into HP's site (keeps telling me links have moved & then throwing up 404's in the new locations...) and don't have a manual to hand. Anyone got any ideas?
  18. A School recently hired several cannibals. "You are all part of our team now," said the Head Teacher during their welcoming Briefing. "You get all the usual benefits and you can go to the canteen for something to eat, but please don't eat any of the kids or any member of staff." The cannibals promised they would not. Four weeks later, the Head Teacher remarked "you’re all working very hard, and I am satisfied with you. However, one of our Technicians has disappeared. Do any of you know what has happened to them?” After the Head teacher had left, the leader of the cannibals said to the others, "Which one of you idiots ate the Technician?" A hand rose hesitantly, to which the leader of the cannibals continued "“You fool! For four weeks we’ve been eating the Senior Management Team and no one has noticed anything, but noooooo, you had go and eat someone who actually does something!"
  19. Well, at the beginning of this term all our Board of Studies members had their remits shuffled. As such, we got a new ICT Co-ordinator! Of course, me being a cynical, suspicious type (and I've only been here a year & a quarter) I thought I'd put my newly written handbook to him & see what happens. Well, it's now going out to Principal Teachers as a first draft and I'm hoping we can get the full First Revision out before the October holidays. If this had been the previous guy, it would have languished in his inbox for a couple of weeks before not being read. And he was elusive so you could never get hold of him to chase him up. So, now I'm even more cynical & suspicious because this is all being too easy. Once everything's gone through the system & the First Revision is out, I'll post it on the Wiki for everyone's use.
  20. The Fujitsu machines sound like a good deal, and they are pretty reliable too when in use by staff everyday (which should make them more than robust enough for your friend's use...!) Failing that, I agree with Geoff, as i've always had a soft spot for Acers. I would recommend trying to get a good value extended warranty with it. Normally I would avoid these like the plague, but I've had them (through Comet) for all my laptops and it's proved invaluable on several occasions.
  21. RobC

    Knightmare

    Ok, I can understand Sunday night, but shouldn't you be staggering home from the puba at that time on a Saturday night?
  22. It is when you've got to pay for it!
  23. Well, I got my A+ at the end of last year. I still haven't decided on whether I'm going for the Server+ or Network next, although I'm veering towards doing Server. In the long run, I'm looking to get the MCSA and the CCNA but it all depends on time, cost and whether it's even worth it. Cost-wise, the A+ was two exams @ £120 each while Network & Server are same price, but only one exam each.
  24. If your script is set to run at user logon, then it will take precedence over any previous defaults. I think this goes for computer logon scripts as well, but not 100% sure on that.
  25. Wow, that's quite a resolution. Brings new meaning to the term Widescreen...
×
×
  • Create New...