RobC
Members-
Posts
391 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by RobC
-
Yep, that sounds about right for an Avantis box.
-
I did our install for Cars about six months ago. Can't remember off the top of my head if there was anything special, but I'll take a look and hopefully post something of use before the end of the day...
-
Sure it's not an Avantis one? I've got one of them under my desk right now that got decomissioned when I upgraded the Computing network to 2k from NT. It was actually quicker to incorporate the software into the Ghost image than it was to get the sodding thing working properly. In fact, the only reason I haven't thrown it out is cos I can't be bothered to shift it (it's making a useful platform for the server's UPS). I think the English department still have an old RM NT4 server in a monolithic tower case, although I don't think it actually works, and someone's lost the keys to the front panel too.
-
Certainly, the handwriting recognition software in XP Tablet Edition is supposed to be very high quality (although I'm certain it would still throw a fit if faced with my handwriting!). Also, combine it with OneNote 2003 (make sure it's got SP1 installed). OneNote really comes into its own on Tablet PCs.
-
Arggghh! He used the word "Leverage!" Stone him!
-
Well, if next year's conference is during the summer, I'm sure I could arrange something... And I suppose the obligatory distillery visit would be in order, or I'd never hear the last of it!
-
@Beeswax Don't have the link to hand, but there are several templates available for download from Microsoft. I think they're in the Sharepoint section of microsoft.com.
-
A+/Network+ certs are definately self-study as that's the way I did it for my A+. And, thanks to knowing the boss of a local training company, I'm about to start instructing a small group on the A+ course (not actually sure if it's a good idea yet... ), so kinda hoping that he pays for my Network+ exam, as that's the next one he wants to run and I've a feeling that if I get myself through it and do a good job on the A+ course then he might want me to teach it.
-
Hmm, I wonder what Fujitsu would say if I sneaked a Linux box onto the network & started screwing around with the printers...
-
Bollocks! That means I've got seven years worth of redundant staff and pupil shares clogging up my bloody servers!
-
And to really tax your brains (and I think I've asked this before but can't remember the answer...), is there any way of doing this when the printers do not run through a print server, but instead are hooked directly to the network?
-
Well, someone had to do it...
-
ajb, can you use the %username% token in that registry key? For example, putting "\\server\students\%username%\profile\favourites" and having it automagically turn itself into "\\server\students\rcowan\profile\favourites"?
-
Six inch nail through the platters...? :twisted:
-
Ok, taking it down a slightly different tack (and risking looking like an idiot for asking), when you remove a user from AD Users & Computers (and once the tombstone period expires...) does that automagically remove the user's profile & homeshare folders, or are they just left there accumulating on the server?
-
Spare capacity in a switch? We've got an entire 24 port Cisco switch doing nowt in one of our comms cabinets. Discovered it not long after paying for Fujitsu to add another brand new switch to a different cab. Typical. In fact, I wonder if they would notice if it went missing...
-
Definately one to check out would be MSExchange.org. I've found a hell of a lot of useful info there.
-
Thought it was always good practise to have the server's Paging File on a different physical drive anyway... Certainly what I do on my servers (the ones that Fujitsu don't own, at least).
-
ISP is irrelevant to me. I've got Authenticated SMTP as part of my hosting plan with 1and1. No more changing e-mail address if I change service provider!
-
Allow staff to see a website but block students
RobC replied to adamyoung's topic in How do you do....it?
If it's running locally on your web server, just change the permissions of the html or asp page you wish to restrict as you would any other file on the network. I use this to restrict our system status page to staff only. -
I have to say that I agree entirely with Dos_Box's comments here, and that they echo my comments in another thread on here (can't find it right now though...) regarding the fact that many ICT teachers are actually not qualified at all in ICT. I do believe (in my unprofessional, non-educationally minded, technician's opinion!) that ICT should be classes as a specialist subject, if such a thing were to exist, and that only qualified & knowledgible individuals should be allowed to teach it. However, this would probably only leave us about ten ICT teachers in the entire of Britain and runs the risk of making Bisley98 a sought-after individual, so I'll go back to being unprofessional and not having any clue about education what-so-ever because I'm not a teacher.
-
Name = "RobC" Specialist Subject = "Ways to piss off the IT Technician"
-
@ChrisH Don't worry, it's not just you suffering from temperamental kit today. I replaced a mainboard on a system as the keyboard socket wasn't working. Tested it in my office & the new board worked fine. Took it back to the suite and it didn't want to know. Back to office & it worked fine, worked fine in a different suite too. Failed with 4 different keyboards when plugged into it's original position, and yet when I eventually just swapped it with the system next to it, it farking worked perfectly. Damn thing nearly went off the top of our 6 floor tower-block!
-
Schools Workforce Agreement - Head Teacher = Network Manager
RobC replied to MkII's topic in School ICT Policies
Anyone else concerned about the number of ICT Teachers around these days who are actually from other departments but just happen to be teaching ICT? I would have thought ours was a subject that would require a certain amount of properly qualified knowledge... -
Well, I can 100% confirm that I cannot make it. I've got to go to a three day conference at the end of October on Scottish Technicians CPD so no chance they'll spare me for this. Maybe next year I suppose.
